Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemonolith4
Stranger

Any UK pickers?
    #4550782 - 08/18/05 08:04 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I know it's too early to start looking yet, as late September is peak time for liberty caps in uk.
I would like to hear from other mushroom hunters in britain, will you be picking this year? since the sale of mushrooms is now illegal here I have no other option but to pick em.
I really don't like doing it though, since it's pretty dirty and disgusting to eat a mushroom that was picked out of a random cow field, especially since all the libs tend to have tiny white maggots crawling underneath the cap! Anyoneone else notice these?
I would like to know if anyone has any experience of hunting for
the wavy cap shrooms that grow on wood chips? P.Azurescens? i think they're called.

I would also like to know about the other mushrooms that grow alongside liberty caps in britain, I have heard that people who pick liberty caps in this country don't really have to worry about being poisoned, since there is no lookalike mushroom that is poisonous, is this true? I have noticed shrooms that have a thicker cream colour stem and larger caps, usually lacking a nipple, they have grey gills.
anyone know what these are?
I have also come across "witch hat" shrooms that have a very conical shaped cap and a dark purple colour with thin,stiff stems.
I also know of "haymaker" shrooms which is another little brown mushroom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGoKart
Dr.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: Any UK pickers? [Re: monolith4]
    #4562945 - 08/21/05 02:21 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm new to this whole thing. I've just started picking, I'm in the North West, where are you based?

I haven't found any active mushrooms yet but it's early in the season.

As far as I'm aware the 3 main active species in the U.K. are Liberty Caps, P. Cyanescens and Fly Argarics.

I can't answer any more of your questions because I'm a rookie really, but I'm just saying hello!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/pteropilot

OfflineSorceroom
Mycophile
Loc: Nottingham, England
    #4566333 - 08/22/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hello, Monolith4 :smile:I will definately be picking this year. There's supposed to be loads of rain this week so it's definately worth having a look at the weekend. Libs don't always have maggots inside, you just have to make sure you pick ones that are still in good condition. I imagine oven drying will kill off any nastiness anyway.

I know that P.Azurescens should grow in the UK, but I've never seen any myself. The wavy capped mushroom you're probably thinking of is P.Cyanescens which is relatively uncommon but can be found in forests amongst mixed wood.

'Haymakers' (Pan.Foenesecii) grow alongside liberty caps. It's easy to differenciate between the two if you look closely - libs have a 'nipple' on the cap for starters, plus there are differences in stem and cap colour. Pan Foes are not active or poisonous, but I wouldn't recommend eating them! As far as I know there aren't any poisonous lookalike species that grow in the same habitat as libs in the UK, but you can't say for sure so it's best to be careful :smile:

Have fun! :smile:

--------------------
You are entering the realm of imagination and dreams, which is not subject to time and space...

Offlineoutofmytree
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: sheffield, england
Re: Any UK pickers? [Re: Sorceroom]
    #4573891 - 08/24/05 03:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Already tripped 3 times this season, off out for some more today!

--------------------
If you *dont* take your medicine you will be sectioned.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4573966 - 08/24/05 05:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't waste your time searching for P. cyanescens.

As you can see they're a bit of a rarity in the UK compared to P. semilanceata.

The distribution maps are provided by the British Mycological Society and aren't dynamically updated so the data might be a bit out of date.

P.azurescens is not mentioned in the database.

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale