Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
In the Now too much?
    #4571746 - 08/23/05 07:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I have trained myself to detach from the past so well in some instances that I "forget" what I wrote or said or did just moments before. Before all the age jokes kick in, this is NOT short-term memory loss as if I choose to consciously memorize and recall something, I have no problem doing that or performing such tasks as remembering objects or numbers in a specific order.

It is like I totally "let go" (of non-emotional things at least) so completely that the imprint is minimal.

Have I gone too far?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: In the Now too much? [Re: Swami]
    #4571750 - 08/23/05 07:22 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Uh, sorry, who are you again?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: In the Now too much? [Re: Veritas]
    #4571779 - 08/23/05 07:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Did you know that a feather is the international symbol for "Fluffernaut"?  :cool:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Onlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #4571780 - 08/23/05 07:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

each moment is completely unique. to miss sight of this, to any degree, is delusion.

I'd say you haven't gone far enough, but that may come across wrong. there is still much further all of us can go :smile:

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: In the Now too much? [Re: deff]
    #4571836 - 08/23/05 07:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'd say it is short term memory loss.

You need to do memory exercises to improve your memory. One has nothing to do with the other.

You are a fluffernut for suggesting the two are linked. We all should know that some people who 'live in the now' (god I hate that stupid way of putting it, it's so misleading and advertising-like) or, more accurately, are awake, have great memories, some do not, and some people who do not live this way have great memories and some do not.

I call shenanigins.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4571842 - 08/23/05 07:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

It's also my weight division in my local boxing club.

Edited by Veritas (08/23/05 07:52 PM)

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: In the Now too much? [Re: tomk]
    #4571961 - 08/23/05 08:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

:lol: tomk. I can't stand that expression either.

Sure, maybe in the know, you have someone who really loves you and you are stuck in the past mourning a a lost love. To tell that person to get their head out of the past and into the now is a good thing.

Almost daily, I improve my now, by time jumping through my memory banks looking for the ultimate good to serve the now.

Like, if I had to do something I was feeling nervous about, I could go back into the past and retrieve a memory of where I did it well and then, go into the future and watch myself Ace it and use both of those memories to give me more confidence in the Now and ease the nerves.

Screw the now being too much. It's not enough for me. That's why I pull from the past and future. As far as I am concerned, they create the now anyway. By being aware of that, I can draw from the best of both the past and future to create better nows.

Anyway, swami, to answer your question. I think you developed a high level of intense and disciplined focus to help serve you to keep from distractions when mastering something new.

The say that child prodigies are naturals at this.

However, there are times where it will not serve and run to a default. We learned a lot along the way and the only way to keep from making the same mistakes is to remember them. If you have your focus so finely tuned in on something in the now that past memory is shut out, you may be apt to repeat a past mistake.

How to remedy that? I'd start with being aware of the big picture, like what you are working to do now and then go to use it when mastering something new and ease up on it when engaged in regular activities.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4571973 - 08/23/05 08:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Have I gone too far?

No. You must go farther yet. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #4571993 - 08/23/05 08:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Damn your hot Veritas. I completely forgot what i was thinking before!

Maybe they are right about Men  :confused: LOL

I like the pic in your sig by the way :wink:

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: In the Now too much? [Re: Icelander]
    #4571997 - 08/23/05 08:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I wish you and def would explain that. If anything, swami tends to focus in on tings so tightly he misses out on the big picture. Like I said, that can serve greatly when mastering a new skill, but in life in general, it cuts you off from a lot that serves the now.

Look at how sometimes, he gets so focused on being "right" (practicing the skill of debate) that he starts nit picking on grammatical errors. That's going to far and it doesn't serve him in the area of the debate itself. He lost amo to use from past experience or knowledge because the focus got to tight and cut it out of his memory in the moment.

Sometimes, intensity serves us and sometimes it doesn't. Like being a photographer, ya gotta know when to zoom in and when to zoom out to become a great artist. What good is zooming in on the ant when a volcano is bursting off to the left? That would make for a far more spectacular shot.

Ideally, I like to get into a zone where I can have a tight focus with one eye and the other on the big picture at all times.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: In the Now too much? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4572006 - 08/23/05 08:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You can't get out of it until you get into it.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4572034 - 08/23/05 08:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Swami is GREAT at getting into it. He says he qualifies for MENSA. probably due to his ability to fine tune focus.

Thats not where he needs assistance. Pulling back to take in the wider view is where he is saying he thinks he might be running at a default.

Here's an example. Say swami wants to catch a rabbit for sport. To be able to tune in on him and got out all distraction will serve him in catching it.

Say he is out hunting because he and his family are literally starving. If he only has focus on the first rabbit he sees and is able to cut out all other beyond it to heed off distraction, he might miss the herd of cows off to the left and he and his family will starve to death.

Tunnel vision can serve and sometimes, it can hinder. Depending on the objective you can gauge where to set your zoom lens.

See what I am saying?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: In the Now too much? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4572071 - 08/23/05 08:52 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Of course I see what you are saying. I don't disagree with any of it. I'm talking about Swami living out the life he chooses until he concludes he's had enough of it. Maybe he will find out he likes it. Or he hasn't the strength to conquer it. Or he finds out he can't live this way anymore and decides to change. He will explore it fully until he knows. We can't convince him to change because we don't know what is right for him. He is doing just fine and is were he needs to be. Just like I am and you are and everyone is. I mean really it doesn't matter finally to me what he chooses to do. I will move toward him or away from him and it's all ok. I think he's just fine weather I like him or not or agree with him or not. :grin:

--------------------

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

#4572131 - 08/23/05 09:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i think it honestly might be drug use.

i forget things all the time. not that they are forgotten, but that i have to remember them differently.

Like... DAMN what was I doing, why am I at google? and then. I don't try to answer the question... I just wait for my intentions that I set when going to google to come back to me and I'm like "oh yeah."

but i remember long term memory events like old dreams and childhood experiences better. I'd rather have better long term access than short term, since the long term will take you back to the short term if you listen for it.

or something like that. This is my experience at least....

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4572176 - 08/23/05 09:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well, ya. I love him just the way he is. He came to the board asking a question and looking for insight into something. I gave him mine for what its worth. When we are in something, it's difficult to see it until we pull back and away from it.

Even his post was an attempt at doing that, only he couldn't get far back enough on himself (which is difficult for anyone to do) so he asked what someone else sees who's not up in it close with him.

Maybe I feel like I owe swami a return from the other side of the coin. When i first came here, My thoughts all came from such a wide lens view that I did'nt;t realize how many people couldn't understand what I was saying. By reading his stuff and people like him, I saw a focused detail that made ideas easy to comprehend come out of it.

When i write with these guys, I feel like I have to turn my focus on to be more clear and concise. I'm not always good at it and its a struggle, but I think I have made some improvement which helps me to get ideas across to more people.

I think being able to have the view on the big picture with one eye while you can move the zoom lens around to serve your objectives is the ideal. It's what I am working at and when I have both going on at the same time, I'm smokin. I wrote about that in the zen post.

Wide far back views come easy to me. Focused close in views come easy to swami. If he an I were ever stuck in conflict, it was only because we were each stuck in our specialty.

He can do what he wants with what I wrote. He can chuck it in the trash or find a use for it. Maybe someone else will get something from it. Maybe I wasted my time. The intent to help feels good so , it wasn't a waste for me. My heart is in the right place.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: In the Now too much? [Re: leery11]
    #4572234 - 08/23/05 09:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

i think it honestly might be drug use.

Yeah, druggie, stoner, pothead. Rehab is what you need. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4573883 - 08/24/05 05:30 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I am totally with jiggy on this one.
Just keep this in mind and you won't sway anymore:
Learn from the past - live in the present - look into future

Just try to remember, what you have learned in a specific present situation from the past, and how you want to see it in the future... So you can act totally true in the now and find the right 'lense' for your subject you are working on.

(Sorry if I am repeating)

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology