Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Growing San Pedro
    #4564570 - 08/21/05 09:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I know this forum is dedicated to shroom cultivation but was wondering if anyone had experience growing the san pedro cacti.. im ordering the seeds today and any/all information about germination and growing would be appreciated greatly, even a website would be very valuable.. thanks guys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohahnchristo
breaktech beatengineer

Re: Growing San Pedro [Re: PerfectlyDefectd]
    #4564674 - 08/21/05 09:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

checkout the botanicals section. I have never grown from seed, but have heard it is a bit harder than growing from a cutting.

--------------------
Shows I will be spinning at
Where Life Begins-Aug. 27th
Epidural Sept 2nd/5th
Enchanted Remixed sept 15/16th(for those who missed the first)

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: Growing San Pedro [Re: johahnchristo]
    #4566080 - 08/22/05 09:35 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It's not really any harder, it just takes a lot longer to get to a decent size. It's quite fun though!
The methods section on www.mushmush.nl will have all the info you need, and there's also quite a lot around here which a search will be able to find for you.

Good luck!

Edit: I was going to get some photos of some of my seedlings for you, so that you could see how fast they grow in the first few months, but the batteries in my camera are flat. I've put them in the charger, I'll get a pic later.

Edited by Openminded (08/22/05 09:44 AM)

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Re: Growing San Pedro [Re: Openminded]
    #4567331 - 08/22/05 05:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ok thanks a lot man, thanks for helpin me on both my threads i really appreciate it. peace

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
    #4567785 - 08/22/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

cant we give the boy some seed growing information???? im growing 3 peruvian torch seedlings. i read from alot of places to use steralized soils. my myco knowledge tells me that steralization of any type of soil/substrate is a bad idea. the mix i use is absent of soil. its a ratio of 1:1:1 sand perlite vermiculite. if you think about it most cacti do not grow in dirt, but in very corse sands. fill your pot with your no dirt mix. lightly compact your no dirt. lay the seedlings on the surface, or you can push the seedlings into the no dirt till they are flush with the surface. then put a baggy or green house top over the pot of no soil. keep the top well misted since the seedlings need humidity to germinate. ive been told that you should keep the humid enviroment untill it has 2 full sets of spine pads(areoles) from one source. another source tells me as soon as they are germinated that its no longer needed. sources say that the seeds can take up to 2 months to germinate, but i would think more like 2 weeks. good luck with your cacti, grow them to love them. dont grow them to eat them. keep your cacti kosher!

--------------------

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Re: Growing San Pedro [Re: S8N]
    #4567820 - 08/22/05 07:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

so i bought a special cactus mix today, u wouldnt recommend using this? and i think if i did.. id def have to microwave it to rid it of any fungi esp since its going to be in a greenhouse environment.. im sure id have to buy a fungicide also.. as for the rest of ur information that goes along with the research that i have done.. just let me know what u think about the soil/sand mix

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

#4567866 - 08/22/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yep i wouldnt sugest it. sand perlite vermiculite worked very well for me. didnt steralize it just kept it wet the whole time the seedlings germinated.

--------------------

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

#4567878 - 08/22/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ok works for me.. thanks a lot man.. i def hooked u up with a good rating for your help.. ur help didnt go unappreciated..thanks a lot.. peace.. see ya around

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

#4567898 - 08/22/05 07:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

haha killer ill fix u up a rating too since everyone systematicly shit on you.

--------------------

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

#4567936 - 08/22/05 07:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

thanks yeah they seemed to fuck me over when i was more of a newbie.. im gettin better thou.. learning my shit and reading a lot more.. thanks thou

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4568071 - 08/22/05 08:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If there's no dirt, where are the nutes going to come from? Unless you water with a dilute fertiliser solution, they won't last long in that mix I'm sure. And if you do water with a dilute fertiliser solution then it'll be hard to get the concentration just right.

I'd recommend about 25-30% (or maybe a little bit more) of an all-purpose potting compost in your mixture, with the rest being sand and/or fine vermiculite and/or fine perlite. I always pass my mix through a sieve before using it, otherwise your little seedlings might have to grow their roots around a big lump of vermiculite or something before they reach good soil, and that's going to waste their energy. Make sure that the compost you use is about neutral pH, your seedlings will hate acid soil. You could add in a little bit of garden lime, but it probably won't be necessary if you use a neutral soil.

I bet you could just use your cactus mix though, with a bit of sand/vermiculite/perlite added maybe. If you're using that, and it looks a bit lumpy, either pass it through a sieve or put 5mm of sand on top of your compost, and sow your seeds onto the sand. That way they will still have nice fine stuff to grow their roots into without obstructions, and they will still be able to soak up nutrients from the soil below.

Constant humidity is important until they've germinated, and then for a couple of weeks or so afterwards, but in my experience they don't seem to mind a fairly rapid change to low humidity. I rarely have the patience to slowly reduce humidity levels, I just take them out of the humidity chamber after a few weeks and they deal with it!

Also, heat-treating your soil mix before use isn't a bad idea, but the worst that really happens if you don't is that you get a bit of moss or algae growing, neither of which seem to harm the seedlings. But it is always a good idea to have a fungicide ready, just in case! I'm a big fan of cheshunt compound, which is a soluble copper-based fungicide.

Edit: it'll also help if you keep the seeds warm while they germinate, around 25-30*C, or there about. It doesn't matter if you don't, it'll just take a bit longer. I have a little heating mat which I used to use when I kept lizards, and with it cactus seeds normally start to germinate in about three days, and most of the seeds that do germinate do so in about ten days. After that, I find that if the seeds haven't already germinated then they probably won't. Without keeping it warm, it might take a few weeks.

Edited by Openminded (08/22/05 08:31 PM)

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

#4568219 - 08/22/05 08:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

wow thanks a lot of help.. i def like ur idea about soil mix on the bottom for the roots and sand on top.. thanks

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#4570003 - 08/23/05 09:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

And just to give you some idea of growth rate, here are some that I planted on 28th December. So they're about eight months old. Some people get much better growth rates than this (see what Una and the guys can do in the mushmush.nl gallery!), but from what I've seen, this seems about average. The disadvantage of growing them outside is that they don't grow well if you have a poor Summer :frown:.

The seedlings are eleven trichocereus bridgesii on the left, and eight t. peruvianus on the right.

OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

#4571387 - 08/23/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

thanks.. yeah i had some sort of idea.. i knew the take forever to grow.. thanks for the pics.. i plan on starting mine in about 2 weeks

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
    #4572527 - 08/23/05 08:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

cuuuuute! :smile:

im using store bought cactus soild mixed with some sand and sand on top and its working fine for me.
the guides say sterilise becaue the humidity in early growth
makes you vulnerable to fungus.
i would suggest adding superol to the water used during the soft period. i did that instead of sterilising and i got no fungus ever.
its normaly sold for throat infections and can get 2 kinds, the ones for sucking and the ones u solve in water to gurgle, u want the gurgly ones.

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates