Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFloydexperiment
Stranger

Trying to decided which strain to grow
    #4565692 - 08/22/05 02:22 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I m a noob to cultivating mushrooms. I would like to grow shrooms that are fast and easy. I m not looking for anything special. Just something that i can follow simple instructions with and would still be able to get good yields from. I ve narrowed it down to 3 strains. I can not get them all so thats why i m asking for your opinion. I m currently looking at B+, Brazillian, and the South American. I checked these out at Ralphsters Spores. Please countribute your two bits on this matter because i would like to get started pretty soon. If you have another strain to reccomend, go for it. Also i think i ll be order my jars from pfjars.com. Is this worth ordering from? or should i just make my own jars? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: Trying to decided which strain to grow [Re: Floydexperiment]
    #4565754 - 08/22/05 02:56 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Any strain will do, as they're all Psy Cubes; just different strains.  Making your own jars is easy too...I got mine to work my first time and I didn't even PC them...they were boiled.  Fruiting them was a different story for me but I can almost guarantee if you follow the teks to the dot you will have a fully colonized jar :smile:

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
Re: Trying to decided which strain to grow [Re: Newbie]
    #4565848 - 08/22/05 04:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

you will try B+. thats not a suggestion, its a command!

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4565863 - 08/22/05 05:05 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hi Floydexperiment

This question is asked a lot around here and many will tell you the same thing. All cube strains are the same and it doesn't really matter which one you start with. I know when I first started out, I din't want to hear that answer either. What I did was read, read, and read many posts from first timers to see what they were using the most. I have the opinion that the popular ones for starting out are B+, Golden Teacher, Cambodians, to name a few.

I went for the B+ and followed the tek to a T. But no matter what anyone says, you can STILL fail doing that. All 6 jars germinated and stalled at about 50% colonized. I held on to them trying everything to get them going again for another month. I had temp and everything optimal.

One thing I wasn't experienced at was the pressure cooker, and even though I followed everything else to the T, a lot is assumed in the Teks when it comes to this Tool. I think somehow I may have lost some water during the PC, and that is why it dried out.

I got back on the horse and rode again, and had better luck the next time with a different strain.

So, if there is one thing that I can suggest, it's to come into this hobby with plenty of patience. You may need it, you may not, but it will help you out in the long run. Fast and Easy isn't really the approach that would have gotten me anywhere.

GOOD LUCK,
and Welcome To the SHROOMERY.

Hope you stick around for a while.
CLUTCH

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4565916 - 08/22/05 06:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Any of those strains will work. You will probably want to try different strains as you go along to see which ones you like best.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineFloydexperiment
Stranger

Re: Trying to decided which strain to grow [Re: FooMan]
    #4570677 - 08/23/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks guys, i think i ll go with the brazillian and the b+. I ll post pics as soon as i can.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4570710 - 08/23/05 12:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I hate B+, SA and especially Brazils were nice though. Try two or three strains for yourself, not everyone will have the same experiences. Heres SA on the left, B+ on the right:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinesexymoreno
Stranger

Re: Trying to decided which strain to grow [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4570716 - 08/23/05 12:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

wutup fellow noob! i read in a bunch of places that say not to worry about what strain you grow.  says somewhere that matias romero spores germinate readily and dont' need a cold shock so i'd say go for those. i sure did!

:grin:

Offlinesexymoreno
Stranger

Re: Trying to decided which strain to grow [Re: sexymoreno]
    #4570720 - 08/23/05 12:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

also, my spores germinated at room temperature in 3 days, and kept growing at a nice pace right after. but it's the only strain i've tried so far so who knows, there might be another similar cool strain like MR.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck