Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Malt Extract, Peat, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefrostynostrils
Human

Loc: Seattle
Expenses
    #4570315 - 08/23/05 12:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It seems to be the general consensus on here that kits aren't the way to go. Prisoner, along with others, say it's too expensive.
Would anyone with some extra time explain that a little more to me? I think it would be less expensive to buy jars with subtrate for your first ever run than to buy a PC and the materials to fill them. Am I being that retarded?!

--------------------
"Smear the paint till the colors run,
It's nearly time, I'm nearly done
Flaming, orange, open sky!"
- Cherry Poppin' Daddies

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
Re: Expenses [Re: frostynostrils]
    #4570320 - 08/23/05 12:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

no 12 jars with shipping will cost you almost as much as a pc

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Expenses [Re: lowdominion]
    #4570336 - 08/23/05 12:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Shipping jars is expensive. You can get a big PC that will do 10 quarts at a time, for 30 bucks shipped off ebay. A dozen 1/2 pints is what like 50 bucks shipped or some rediculous shit? Substrates like 10 bucks, and a dozen jars is 8 bucks..then you didnt waste your money on jars (one time use) and have a PC which can be used forever, and all for cheaper. Its the way to go..I was gonna go with a kit when I started out, even after being told not to by a number of people. I kept saving money for a nice 600 dollar kit that came with everything, against advise from everyone..and read in that time. By the time I could afford the kit, I read enough to buy my own shit and do alot more, for ALOT less.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehardwaters
Stranger
Loc: USA
    #4570363 - 08/23/05 12:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Back in February, I bought a kit on Ebay for 50 bucks. All it was was two small bags, one of manure and the other of a peat/coir mixture, and a small rubbermaid container with a lid. And the address to this site. With that I later received 2 jars of WBS that were contaminated when I got them, so I was sent 2 more jars, this time they got contams after I inoculated them. I later found out that there was no top layer of dry verm nor was there a lid even just a coffee filter for a lid. SO I gave the supplier one more chance to get it right. They sent me 2 more jars and I finally got one all the way though to birthing. It's cased now and doing well. In the meantime I have birthed 15 jars of brf/verm. All on my own with a lot of help from my friends on this site. I guess it was worth it because I found out about this site. But for me, if I had know about this site beforehand, I would have never spent the money on Ebay.

Offlinesexymoreno
Stranger

Re: Expenses [Re: hardwaters]
    #4570399 - 08/23/05 01:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

ya, dont' worry about the pc unless you're doing grains. trust me, i bought a 12 jar pack of bernardin 1/2 pints and it only cost 6 bucks, along with the organic brown rice that i grind up with my magic bullet, that's 6 bucks too, verm for 3, syringe for 30, soil for 6, water for free, honey for free cuz it was already here. altogether it's *A LOT* cheaper.

like i surf a lot of these mycology websites and everytime i see prices for prepared jars my jaw just drops, like why buy it when you can make the same or even better jars, with guaranteed sterility if you follow proper sterilization advice.

and about the pc, if you're starting out, do the pf-tek, all you need is a big pot, some water, aluminum foil and water and you're good after an hour of boiling.

good luck, if you're like me you'll become obsessed and sacrifice a cake to put pieces of it on 12 containers of agar lol. buy some agar and malt extract while you're at the organics store when you buy the rice.

go for the whole grain, not the flour, cuz i heard that freshly ground rice is better since all the nutrients haven't been oxidated yet, meaning they're more available. i read that somewhere, can't remember where, but i think it holds some truth to it, since everything exposed to air is oxidized, like rust to metal.

and to answer your question: yes you're being a retard to buy ready made jars, not only cuz of the price, but you're taking the fun out of making the jars themselves!! i always listen to music when i prepare jars, it's so much fuuuuun!

remember the agar!!! that's even funner to watch!!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4570533 - 08/23/05 01:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

frostynostrils said:
Would anyone with some extra time explain that a little more to me? I think it would be less expensive to buy jars with subtrate for your first ever run than to buy a PC and the materials to fill them. Am I being that retarded?!

for $99 you can get this
it's $50 in materials that can be found localy

for $39 you can get a sports bottle and $6 air pump

how about some PVC and a few fittings and hoses for $195 (actual value $28)

and only $600 for all you see here

the bottom kit can be had for a little under $200 if you buy an AA PC instead of a mirro, with the mirro about $120

Offlinesexymoreno
Stranger

Re: Expenses [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4570592 - 08/23/05 01:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

so prisoner, you're trying to explain that it is better to buy things by yourself and then make em yourself right? im a little bit out of it right now, trying to comprehend things.... juts can't.... thinking.... too... HARD!
but what's the point of that water bottle picture one? is that supposed to atomize the water?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Expenses [Re: sexymoreno]
    #4570659 - 08/23/05 02:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

pretty much, letting someone else go to walmart and gather your supplies and charge you $300 for them is just insane, the top pic of the little greenhouse, it's a $12 item, $30 with a heat mat, it's a plant propagator.

the waterbottle is supposet do help provide humid air to your terrarium, $10 in stuff to build and you're for the low price of $40... it's no different than
anything you could build for almost nothing.

My favorite is this thing

1 10' lenght of 4" PVC - $8 (you only need about 18")
2 4" PVC Caps - $4.50
6 asstd barbed nylon hose fittings - $3
6' aquarium air line tubing - $3
6' 3/8' sprinkler/irigation tubing -$3
12" 1/2" clear tubing - $1.25

so for about $25, you can build 5 of them and screw several people out of
almost $200 just like the keeper is tryin to do

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: Expenses [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4570729 - 08/23/05 02:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
pretty much, letting someone else go to walmart and gather your supplies and charge you $300 for them is just insane,

So true, my first grow a few years ago I got the pre done jars, but that
was before I knew better- its so simple- do it yourself.

Offlinefrostynostrils
Human

Loc: Seattle
Re: Expenses [Re: rod]
    #4570871 - 08/23/05 03:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you all so much, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm glad I asked.

--------------------
"Smear the paint till the colors run,
It's nearly time, I'm nearly done
Flaming, orange, open sky!"
- Cherry Poppin' Daddies

InvisibleBoondock
Afoot andlight-hearted
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest
    #4570969 - 08/23/05 03:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

ALL the thrift store around Puget Sound have their canning jars on sale right now. Most stores sell them for "4 for a dollar" regardless of the size. I just picked up 8 wide mouth quarts, for 2 bucks. (of course you'll be looking for pints and half pints)

go to Goodwill and Value Village

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Loc: a place I call my cave.
Re: Expenses [Re: Boondock]
    #4571050 - 08/23/05 03:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Agreed, don't buy pre-mixed, pre-sterilized substrates. I even bought a ton of bags (pictured in my avatar) 20$ each... WTF? stupid ass. I was having trouble getting the water content right in my own jars, so I decided to let someone else do it for me... Bad move!
Out of a total of 16 bags (more already on the way) I have only one at 100% and one at about 75%, with a small spot of green mold.
While the jars I have been making lately are looking pretty good. [Email]F@#k[/Email] it, I just went and bought a 50 pound bag of rye berries for less than 15$ that'll last a little while. That's equal to 50 bags(or 850$)
I too enjoy the satisfaction that comes with making my own stuff. I have learned much from this site, take the advice given here. Take your time, triple check everything, buy a case of lysol and a hepa filter/ionizer. I just bought a 99.9% hepa/ionizer at wal-mart for like 20 or 25 bucks, and a spare filter for 6$.
I think the bags can be sterilized and re-used, the seals sucked, which is why they contam'd so badly. I'm gonna try putting rye berries in them and re-sealing them with hot glue and a curling iron clothes iron. (a trick I learned from my craft-fair loving aunt)
anyone think this will work?
anyway, gl friend. If you need anything you know where to find the shroomery :rastamon:
peace

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.
IF YOU DON'T DONATE HERE, PLEASE DO IT SOMEWHERE!!!

Invisibleother
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: northern europe
Re: Expenses [Re: austio_ferocious]
    #4571447 - 08/23/05 05:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My first grow:
-stamp
-1? for fsre
-2 bags of popcorn
-some grow rocks (buy vermiculite)
-aluminum foil and plastic wrap

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4559703/an/0/page/0

Edited by other (08/23/05 05:48 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Expenses [Re: other]
    #4571580 - 08/23/05 06:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

other said:
-some grow rocks (buy vermiculite)

perlite

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4571582 - 08/23/05 06:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Like everything else, it just depends on what you want and how much of a few things you have. If you want a few doses of shrooms with minimal effort, minimal time investment and [probably] maximum cost a kit would probably perform well. You'll get some shrooms from them, but the odds are good that you'll become addicted to the hobby and want to continue. I didn't really suceed, even with cakes, until I started making my own cakes with the materials that I'd purchased.

If you want to purchase a kit, it means that you lack knowledge and don't want to bother with the reading. Trust me, growing shrooms is fairly easy and the materials you can get in one afternoon of Walmart and grocery store shopping. Spend a week readingthe PF-TEK For Simple Minds. Any 'kit' that you order will simply contain the ingredients discussed in that article and the order will contain an inferior set of instructions, when compared with the PF-Tek for simple minds. It's really worth it to read that article anyway, just to know how to grow them. Then when you read it you'll see how simple everything is to obtain and you won't want to order a kit.

The big exception to this is if you don't have a place to do any of the mixing, cooking, inoculations, etc. In that case, get a kit.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Malt Extract, Peat, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation