Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
My take on the meaning of life...
    #4569474 - 08/23/05 04:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So my buddy and I were discussing origin and the meaning of life at work, and we came up with what I believe to be an interesting theory...

Basically we started out at primtive minded beings, right? We knew to shit, piss, eat, sleep, and have sex. We slowly evolved to a conscious brain that allowed us to create new ideas, and more importantly question our existence.

We thought...what if our meaning to life is to act as a sort of gatekeeper; to pass on what we know of the world and existence to future generations, until one day in the distant future the truth will be discovered? I mean think about it, we're already doing it! We're researching so much into space and heavens, eventually we will find the answer.

This is where the bible comes into play. I'm an atheist, flat out, won't change. But what if the story of Jesus was a fictional account written to show us that we are really martyrs, destined to make a "sacrifice" for our future people. See where I'm going? We're basically all playing Jesus for our future generations. The only difference is the sacrifice: we're basically in the dark about our creation. Wouldn't you think that is a sacrifice in itself; living without knowing why, and sarificing our clouded minds to give insight to those ahead of us?

If anyone understands what I'm trying to say, I'd love your input. I'm in no way trying to suggest this to be true, but it's weird how it kind of comes together like that. See what happens when boredom at the workplace manifests? lol

Edited by Newbie (08/23/05 04:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVarthDader
Lark Sord ofDith
Loc: Uranus
Re: My take on the meaning of life... [Re: Newbie]
    #4569484 - 08/23/05 05:05 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

we're basically in the dark about our creation

I like this ... this is a good start I think ... very often I think we forget this, when debating all the lofty ideas ..

we forget that we don?t really know ... we forget that we are just speculating...

Sometimes I feel like I have sort of a glimpse of this "Im basically in the dark" ... I have a glimpse of this feeling "I really don?t understand .. I really don?t know shit about anything"

and then, sometimes I look at the world and I feel like the entire world - the entire universe - must be the essense of the word "mystery"

mystery

something we really don?t know anything about, and will never understand?

What do you mean by the word "atheist" ?

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: My take on the meaning of life... [Re: VarthDader]
    #4569494 - 08/23/05 05:21 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Atheist means I believe in no god. I'm not religious. But lately I've been conflicted. It's so hard for me to believe there's a magical place we go to when we die. I mean when I squash a bug, I don't see it floating up to heaven and all that. It lives, dies, and rots.

My theory however, can be anything from a god...to aliens lol or anything under the sun..because we JUST DON'T KNOW.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4569550 - 08/23/05 06:16 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Jah, It's good speculation. I think you are on to something true. It's evolution. You are putting it in more personal terms. Nice.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineVarthDader
Lark Sord ofDith
Re: My take on the meaning of life... [Re: Icelander]
    #4569713 - 08/23/05 07:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well ... have you ever thought of it this way :

were we are now, is sort of on a huge ball of earth and shit flying through space

space is a huge place where some millon-billions of stars, all quite a lot huger than our small earth-and-shit-ball, are also flying/falling/orbiting around (call it whatever you will, I really don?t know what they are doing for sure)

Nobody really knows anything about why this stuff is here

yes, there is evolution ... thats weird to, isnt it?

once life was just "one-celled-little-stuff"

then life became "dinosaurs"

then it became "us" --- you and me

you know, no-one knows what exactly made "some sort of not-living material" turn into "first living little cell"

actually, noone has a clue

its completely in the dark ... its a total mystery

there are many theories, Im sure, but do they work?

can anyone replicate life? Create just a small animal or plant or anything?

nope ... they can?t

And it gets even more weird, you know ... when they examine all this stuff that is not alive and try to figure out what it is made of ...

they discover that stuff is made from smaller stuff that is made from smaller stuff ... and somewhere down there, .. the smaller it gets ... it seems that "stuff" stops being "stuff" and starts being something else which is not really "stuff" anymore

it might be "nothing" or "energy" or ... well .... I haven?t yet met anyone who really knows what this is

there are many theories, ofcourse, but who knows?

ofcourse it makes no sense to believe "there is a god who is an old man sitting in heaven"

thats just fantasy

and yes, it seems like a crazy idea to suggest that there is "a magic place where we all go when we die"

but you know, if you really think about it, maybe the world were we are , right now, is in fact nothing but a completely magic and mysterious place ?

everyday, its so easy to convince youself "oh this is just the same old ball-of-dirt-world .. its made from earth and shit .... I?m just evolution, ... its just a bunch of particles... "

and then you live your life, doing nothing but feeling sorry for yourself and complaining ... feeling alone and scared ... and feeling sad because you have "realized" you don?t matter... yes, you have your occasional pleasure, your weekendfuck, your drug-thrill .... maybe you manage yo get some money and spend it .... weeeheee

open your eyes

the magic place is now

don?t be like the idiots who think they "understand" something because they know of "evolution" or "quantum-theory" or whatever

they don?t know shit

sure, evolution is a fact ... It doesn?t explain enything ... Its all still a total mystery

just open your eyes and dare to see the magic

you can do it , its easy

I DON`T KNOW

thats the key

I DON`T KNOW

----

PS

Most of the so-called "rational" people you meet, are really just kids with an IQ 10 points higher than average screaming : "look at me, Im so clever ... I understand the universe and everything in it ... Aknowledge my immense superiority ... I have brain ... I know everything"

and really, they don?t know shit

Don?t listen to them

Find out for yourself ...

If you dare to, you might discover a magic show beyond your wildest dreams :-)

Have fun

Edited by varthdader (08/23/05 07:53 AM)

OfflineVarthDader
Lark Sord ofDith
    #4569752 - 08/23/05 08:01 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

PS PS

here are three Albert Einstein quotes I like :

"We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality."

"I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science. My religiosity consists in a humble admiratation of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality"

"The finest emotion of which we are capable is the mystic emotion. Herein lies the germ of all art and all true science. Anyone to whom this feeling is alien, who is no longer capable of wonderment and lives in a state of fear is a dead man."

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4569861 - 08/23/05 08:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

varthdader said:
well ... have you ever thought of it this way :

were we are now, is sort of on a huge  ball of earth and shit flying through space

space is a huge place where some millon-billions of stars, all quite a lot huger than our small earth-and-shit-ball, are also flying/falling/orbiting around (call it whatever you will, I really don?t know what they are doing for sure)

Nobody really knows anything about why this stuff is here

yes, there is evolution ... thats weird to, isnt it?

once life was just "one-celled-little-stuff"

then life became "dinosaurs"

then it became "us" --- you and me

you know, no-one knows what exactly made "some sort of not-living material" turn into "first living little cell"

actually, noone has a clue

its completely in the dark ... its a total mystery

nope ... they can?t

And it gets even more weird, you know ... when they examine all this stuff that is not alive and try to figure out what it is made of ...

they discover that stuff is made from smaller stuff that is made from smaller stuff ... and somewhere down there, .. the smaller it gets ... it seems that "stuff" stops being "stuff" and starts being something else which is not really "stuff" anymore

it might be "nothing" or "energy" or ... well .... I haven?t yet met anyone who really knows what  this is

there are many theories, ofcourse, but who knows?

ofcourse it makes no sense to believe "there is a god who is an old man sitting in heaven"

thats just fantasy

and yes, it seems like a crazy idea to suggest that there is "a magic place where we all go when we die"

but you know, if you really think about it, maybe the world were we are , right now, is in fact nothing but a completely magic and mysterious place ?

everyday, its so easy to convince youself "oh this is just the same old ball-of-dirt-world .. its made from earth and shit .... I?m just evolution, ... its just a bunch of particles... "

and then you live your life, doing nothing but feeling sorry for yourself and complaining ... feeling alone and scared ... and feeling sad because you have "realized" you don?t matter... yes, you have your occasional pleasure, your weekendfuck, your drug-thrill .... maybe you manage yo get some money and spend it .... weeeheee

open your eyes

the magic place is now

don?t be like the idiots who think they "understand" something because they know of "evolution" or "quantum-theory" or whatever

they don?t know shit

sure, evolution is a fact ... It doesn?t explain enything ... Its all still a total mystery

just open your eyes and dare to see the magic

you can do it , its easy

I DON`T KNOW

thats the key

I DON`T KNOW

----

PS

Most of the so-called "rational" people you meet, are really just kids with an IQ 10 points higher than average screaming : "look at me, Im so clever ... I understand the universe and everything in it ... Aknowledge my immense superiority ... I have brain ... I know everything"

and really, they don?t know shit

Don?t listen to them

Find out for yourself ...

If you dare to, you might discover a magic show beyond your wildest dreams :-)

Have fun

I am quoting this all again because I agree with it so much. These are my thoughts exactally. You and I are twin sons of different mothers. :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4569867 - 08/23/05 08:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"The finest emotion of which we are capable is the mystic emotion. Herein lies the germ of all art and all true science. Anyone to whom this feeling is alien, who is no longer capable of wonderment and lives in a state of fear is a dead man."

Someone had to say it! :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineVarthDader
Lark Sord ofDith
    #4569880 - 08/23/05 08:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:laugh: Actually, I suspect its the same mother, way way back in the distant past :laugh:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4569905 - 08/23/05 08:52 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You're right. My partner and I checked out the mitochondria. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinemikeytwice
Wanderer

#4569939 - 08/23/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think about this sort of thing often, and lately I've come to believe that the question of "the meaning of life" is largely a play on language, sort of like asking about the meaning of milk.

And sort of in line with this, I think that life itself is equivalent with (and so inseperable from) meaning. That is, life is the meaning of life - how could it be otherwise? I don't think our roles as humans go beyond simply living. One, however, can derive some sort of ethical code to live by through pondering over something like "right living" or something, that is, how to live best and perpetuate life best in this world, but that is somewhat beyond the point.

I find it humorous when people claim that "life is meaningless." That's a wonderfully cynical way to look at things, and it makes no sense because meaning is a prerequisite of "meaninglessness" - the concept of meaninglessness requires meaning in the first place, and thus seems to exist as an intellectual abstraction more than anything real. I guess one could argue whether something is ACTUALLY meaningful or meaningless, but that seems like an unececssary level of analysis being that it's difficult to find out the "actuality" behind anything.

To get to the parent post, though, I think that that ethic makes sense but isn't the most direct "meaning of life" - seems like a few steps along the way. I don't think we'll ever discover some speakable textbook Truth anywhere along the way.

--------------------
\

Edited by mikeytwice (08/23/05 09:06 AM)

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #4569950 - 08/23/05 09:06 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Great post.

Don't listen to others, trust yourself. Wow, you put into words exactly how I feel about people who like to go on a long speel. It seems to me the more words one writes, the further and further they get from the truth. Makes doctoral dissertations make sense.

Saying you "understand" something is like a free pass to not consider it anymore. I hate it when people label for life.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: My take on the meaning of life... [Re: mecreateme]
    #4570792 - 08/23/05 12:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the replies, I enjoy seeing everyone's views on it. It's kind of weird how different each one was but all pretty much said the same thing.

The fact that origin is a prerequisite of itself.

The fact that existence will always exist because even the sheer idea of nothingness is something.

I once witnessed a blind speaker when I was in school, and she helped me to understand what it's like to see "nothing", as I had a hard time comprehending that. I figured they just saw black. Anyway, she told us to hold out the palms of out hands (facing away form us) and pretend we had an eye on the palms. Now try to see out of that palm. What do you see? Nothing! lol I'll never forget that even though I heard it years ago in middle school.

Offlineaig
Stranger

#4609643 - 09/01/05 06:01 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

the answer to most questions is simple...just as the answer to this question is simple.

--------------------
The things you own end up owning you.

Offlinebleedforthis
ill bleed foryou
Loc: Looking down from above.
Re: My take on the meaning of life... [Re: aig]
    #4615308 - 09/03/05 02:35 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

edt* - dont listen to me im high

--------------------
As my pupils fluttered and tried to fly out of my skull I asked myself, "Is THIS what you want?".
Screaming until my lungs bled, I simply replied "No!"

Edited by bleedforthis (09/03/05 02:44 AM)

OfflineTheAntiSatan
Stranger

Loc: Tir na Marachuan
    #4988960 - 11/28/05 07:45 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

We slowly evolved to a conscious brain that allowed us to create new ideas, and more importantly question our existence.

There's a problem here as I see it. While your not wrong in what your saying exsactly the human brain didn't develope for these reasons or anything like them.

The human came about due to climate change and a switch from veg to high proteen intakes from scavaging meat causing a reduction in gut size (compare a chimps belly to a humans) ment leftover energy going up to the already quite inteligent ape brain.

Our ability to imagine and use adavanced communication (ie: apllying meaning and using symbols) was used to surive in the new Africa of vast planes with little water. The human race nearly went extinct during this time.

--------------------
Guinness is good for you. So are multivitamins.

OfflineTheAntiSatan
Stranger

Loc: Tir na Marachuan
    #4988963 - 11/28/05 07:52 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Yup they've recreated how the first life on earth came to being. Their preaty sure it's just a matter of having the right ingredients then it's just a natural reactions to the conditions.

It is still a theory just like anything else but it seems to fit in.

--------------------
Guinness is good for you. So are multivitamins.

OfflinejustAkid
Member of myCulture

Loc: The Present
Re: My take on the meaning of life... [Re: TheAntiSatan]
    #4989057 - 11/28/05 09:16 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Yup they've recreated how the first life on earth came to being. Their preaty sure it's just a matter of having the right ingredients then it's just a natural reactions to the conditions.

It is still a theory just like anything else but it seems to fit in.

It was only three amino acids, which is actually impressive but the fact is no matter how many amino acids they come up with they still have the RNA problem. That is RNA must exist to arrange and guide the amino acids, but RNA cannot exist without amino acids to supplement the RNA's existence.

--------------------
Trust thyself.

OfflinejustAkid
Member of myCulture

Loc: The Present
Re: My take on the meaning of life... [Re: justAkid]
    #4989078 - 11/28/05 09:28 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Even though I made that post I don't want the thread to turn into a scrutiny of others creative ideas but I would like to add my own ideas. Let's keep the flow going. I like this thread.

I believe you can look at the world and at life and know that you are experiencing everything right now. You should wonder about these things and come to grand conclusions. But I believe happiness should be our goal. Contentment and Love above everything.

If these things are expressed and cultivated through looking through our OWN eyes. If we desire to see truth no matter what it is above all, we will find Love and Contentment. Then we will be free to explore the world and all the new things that come our way with an optismtic light.

But more than that the self is our universe. Our own dominion. Our place to explore and create. That is our magical place.

--------------------
Trust thyself.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom