Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Thompson's Wife Forgives His Suicide [Re: Ravus]
    #3836634 - 02/26/05 11:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.latimes.com/business/investing/la-na-thompson26feb26,1,6372300.story?coll=la-headlines-business-invest&ctrack=1&cset=true

THE NATION
Thompson's Wife Forgives His Suicide
Anita Thompson describes the anger, confusion -- and finally, peace -- of the writer's last day.
By David Kelly
Times Staff Writer

February 26, 2005

DENVER ? On the last day of his life, Hunter S. Thompson woke with his usual breakfast of fresh fruit inside a thin layer of jello with gin and Grand Marnier drizzled on top.

His wife, Anita, carefully put a lemon on the side and hovered near his chair. It was 5 p.m., the time the writer normally began his day.

"Suddenly he began talking about something weird, I can't remember exactly what," she recalled in an interview Friday. "He began to get angry with me. He had a strange look on his face. He told me to get out of the room. I was like: 'What do you mean?' He had never kicked me out of a room before."

The final countdown had begun.

Angry and hurt, Anita grabbed her bag and stomped out.

"When I got to the gym in Aspen, I called because I felt bad," said the 32-year-old, who lived with Thompson for five years before marrying him in 2003. "He was so sweet. I asked if he wanted me to come back, and he said he did. He said we could work on a column. We usually made up when he wrote."

Then Thompson did something strange. He took her off speakerphone ? his preferred method of talking to people ? and picked up his headset and continued talking.

"Then I heard a lot of clicking noises, it seemed to me to be a typewriter clicking," Anita Thompson said. "I listened for 45 seconds and heard other noises. I figured he was not going to pick up the headset again, so I hung up."

About the same time on Sunday ? 5:40 p.m. ? Thompson's son, Juan, his daughter-in-law and his 6-year-old grandson were in another room of the Owl Ranch compound in Woody Creek, a few miles northwest of Aspen. Juan heard a bang, a noise he figured was a book falling.

Anita Thompson had just finished a yoga class when a friend heard that something bad had occurred at Owl Ranch.

"I called my cellphone and there was a message from Juan saying 'Anita, you have to come home; he's dead.' I started to panic. I knew this day would come, but not like this."

Thompson, the hard-drinking writer who coined the term "gonzo journalism" and wrote drug-fueled best-sellers such as "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," had finally done it.

Cursed with increasingly bad health and never expecting to see 40 ? let alone 67 ? Thompson had decided to go out, as his widow said, "like a champion."

He had put a .45-caliber pistol in his mouth while sitting in his favorite chair at the kitchen table and pulled the trigger.

When Anita Thompson arrived at Owl Farm, guarded by two metal buzzards at the gate, the place was swarming with police. She shouted at officers and demanded to see her husband's body.

"I was certain I could turn this whole thing around with sheer willpower," she said tearfully. "The sheriff's deputies said I shouldn't see the body because they thought it would be too horrible."

She pushed into the kitchen and found Thompson still in the chair. He had done a remarkable job, she thought. The pistol shot did no damage to his face and there was little blood.

"As soon as I saw him, all that craziness, all the anger and fear, went away," she said. "I held him, kissed his head and rubbed his leg like I always did. Thank God he didn't do much damage. I said it was OK, Hunter; I know what you did. Suddenly, there was nothing but peace."

Thompson and his wife had been at odds for years about his talk of suicide. She threatened to leave the compound and wash her hands of his work and his legacy if he carried out his threat. In the end, he would back down and vow not to do it.

But the pain of hip replacement surgery, back surgery, a lung infection and a broken leg was taking its toll.

"It was definitely not a spur-of-the-moment thing," said Douglas Brinkley, a professor of American history at Tulane University and literary executor of Thompson's will. "He had been looking at his options for a few months. One option was physical rehabilitation. A second option was to stop drinking and move to a warmer climate. The other option was to kill himself. No one knows how long he considered it ? he used to say he wasn't afraid to kill himself all the time."

In keeping with his outsized persona, gun-loving Thompson told friends he wanted his ashes to be blasted out of a cannon on his property. A team of experts is working on that now.

Angels Flight of Castaic, Calif., which puts human ashes into fireworks and explodes them in the sky, has offered its services.

"We have done cannons in the past. It would not be difficult to do human remains," said Nick Drobnis, company president. "But if someone didn't understand pyrotechnics and tried to cram the remains into a cannon, they could end up with a detonation."

Before he was cremated this week, Thompson's wife dressed him in his favorite blue pin-striped, seersucker suit. She put his Tilley hat on his head, a red silk handkerchief in his pocket and his reading glasses on his eyes. She also included snapshots of the two of them ? along with her long, blond ponytail.

"Hunter's death was not grisly. He was in the catbird seat in the kitchen, in the mountains by his wife and family. He wanted to go out while he was still on top, not wither away," she said.

Thompson wasn't always easy to live with. He could be a 6-foot-2 angry child sometimes, his wife said.

"He hated people who talked too much, he hated cellphones and he couldn't stand a drunk ? he actually never seemed drunk himself," she said. "The difference between Hunter and other writers is he never used drugs as an excuse not to work. He used them as an excuse to work. He wrote the first half of 'Hells Angels' in six months. He wrote the second half in four days on whisky and Dexedrine ? and that was the best part."

Despite her vows to leave the ranch if he killed himself, Anita Thompson is planning to stay and promote Thompson's legacy.

"If you are ever weak, sad or confused, you can read Hunter and feel better," she said. "I will continue to work with Hunter for the rest of my life."

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineazurescens
Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3838407 - 02/26/05 06:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you could..provide me with a culture where what you say is true. Not a culture where suicide has increased but one where it is deemed honorable in it's roots. And you are right, I do have my personal beliefs concerning suicide...and seeing whereas "....95% of the world sees suicide as a sin as it pertains to their religion....."(Thomas Boblen-New york Times Nov '96), then I believe I am in the majority and you know how the saying goes. I wasn't trying to impose my beliefs on anyone but rather stating the the weaker of the species are being disarded in one way or another.

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: azurescens]
    #3838429 - 02/26/05 06:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Wasn't it Japanese generals/soldiers that looked at suicide as a very honorable thing to do if they lost a battle? And then you have Kamikaze pilots and such.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: theocean06]
    #3841581 - 02/27/05 02:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, and also suicide is even covered under insurance policies in Japan. There, you can commit suicide, and by doing so, prove your honor and continue to provide for your loved ones. Suicide is a very socially accepted concept there.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3842275 - 02/27/05 04:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, that stems from the samurai tradition I believe. When a samurai was dishonored, through defeat or by committing shameful acts, etc. They would take their own life with a special sword made for doing so.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: gdman]
    #3849018 - 02/28/05 08:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The practice continues to this day in the form of unsuccessful young people who feel that they are unable to contribute their fair share in the society they live in. They feel that suicide is a way to end their shame of failure. Rather than be a burden in society, they sort of politely remove themselves from the equation.

I'm of the firm belief that this just another symptom of overpopulation. Nature is finding ways to cope with too great a strain on her resources.It's the same reason that you find more violence in larger populations. If you put too many rats in a cage, they start to fight for resources. A conscientious rat might decide to let the other rats fight over the resources.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: Ravus]
    #3896337 - 03/10/05 01:35 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

"Doonesbury" pays explosive tribute to Gonzo journalist
Mar. 09, 2005
AP Wire

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - "Doonesbury," with a longtime character modeled on "gonzo journalist" Hunter S. Thompson, took note of the writer's suicide with a comic strip this week that had the Thompson-like figure's head exploding.

Thompson shot himself in the head last month at 67.

In the installment that ran Tuesday, Uncle Duke, the Thompson-like character, is seen checking his e-mail. He reads that Thompson is dead, and his head explodes with a "Ka-Boom!" His head reappears in the next frame as he says, "That can't be right. Better Google it." That is followed by another "Ka-Boom!"

Newspapers from time to time have pulled "Doonesbury" strips they deemed offensive. But the strip's distributor said Wednesday that it had received only two complaints and no reports that any of the 1,400 newspapers that carry "Doonesbury" had pulled it.

"Why should they?" said Alan McDermott, a senior editor at Universal Press Syndicate, based in Kansas City. "Uncle Duke has been kind of a wild character over the years, so how he's reacting to the death of Hunter S. Thompson is no different than his reactions to many things over the years."

An e-mail sent to "Doonesbury" creator Garry Trudeau's Web site by The Associated Press was not immediately returned. But in an e-mail in Wednesday's Washington Post, Trudeau said regular readers of the strip should not find Duke's exploding head all that unfamiliar.

"I've been exploding Duke's head as far back as 1985," he said. "I also had a rocket burst out of his head, a flock of bats, and during Duke's run for president, Mini-D, a tiny self that conducted Duke's business, even gave speeches when the candidate was incapacitated."

The muted reaction to the strip stands in contrast to the controversy generated last May when a number of newspapers either pulled or expressed outrage over a Sunday "Doonesbury" that pictured a character's head on a platter.

The image, drawn weeks earlier, was meant as a punch line in a character's daydream. But the strip came out only days after the beheading of American contractor Nicholas Berg by Islamic radicals in Iraq.

Trudeau apologized for the timing of that strip, one of the few times he has publicly agreed with his critics that a strip had gone too far.

The other "Doonesbury" strips published this week have run along the similar theme of a Thompson tribute. Wednesday's strip shows Duke intact, lamenting Thompson's death before he begins to mutate into a creature with antenna and bat wings - another nod at the drug-induced imagery of Thompson's works, which include "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

Honey asks, "I've stumbled into some sort of tribute, haven't I?"

Duke responds, "Yeah, but no media, got it?"

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: veggie]
    #4445158 - 07/23/05 11:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Gonzo, not forgotten
July 24, 2005 - theage.com.au

Hunter S. Thompson's memorial service will be as unusual and dramatic as the writer's life.

In just a few weeks a cannon will roar a few kilometres down the road from this Mecca of Mink, a cannon that sits atop a bizarre 47-metre metal sculpture of a fist. The big gun will launch half of the ashes of Hunter S. Thompson hundreds of metres into the air above his rustic Woody Creek home.

Thompson's wife and his only child will keep the other half of the author's ashes. They sent the rest to a Hollywood explosives expert who packed them into a mortar shell, above a layer of gunpowder.

His memorial service, like his life, will be very loud.

And if the weather charts hold true, the wind will blow from the west or north-west as usual and carry the whacky journalist from his backyard into the majestic White River National Forest to spend eternity in peace and harmony.

In the short term, until there's a good cleansing rain, he might spend some time in the thick hair of a bewildered elk that might still smell the scotch in Thompson's ashes.

Thompson, whom the BBC called "an unflinching and acerbic chronicler of US counterculture", was riddled with disease and confined to a wheelchair when he shot himself in the head at his home on February 20. He was 67.

The cannon-blast of his ashes through his trademark gonzo fist will mark the six-month anniversary of his death. It will be part of a private service because his widow, Anita, does not want it to be like a circus. This means, presumably, that when he is blasted from the cannon, there won't be a net.

Thompson became famous with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, a 1972 work that the New York Times Book Review called "the best book on the dope decade".

Here is what Thompson wrote in that book &#8212; just on the first page &#8212; about a trip with a lawyer friend from Los Angeles to Nevada: "The trunk of the car looked like a mobile police narcotics lab. We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multi-coloured uppers, downers, screamers, laughers &#8230; and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."

He wrote 14 similar books. The Curse of Lono in 1983 and Songs of the Doomed in 1990 still have legions of followers, mostly in the waiting rooms of methadone clinics.

Then he killed himself and now they're going to fire the brilliant, funny, politically incorrect scribe's ashes out of a cannon in his backyard, three kilometres from the Woody Creek Tavern where he often sat, his right hand seemingly glued to a glass of Chivas Regal.

Among those invited to Thompson's last blast is Bob Braudis, sheriff of Pitkin County.

Sitting in his office in Aspen, Braudis talked about the man who was, for 35 years, his best friend.

"It will start, I think, as a solemn memorial service and funeral, and eventually become a celebration of Hunter's life," said Braudis, 60, a big man with really bad knees from too many years of attack skiing.

He came to Aspen from Boston in the mid-1960s, a ski bum reporting to duty, and met Thompson in 1970 in a local bar. They shook hands. The next thing Braudis knew, he was drunk, and the two men became inseparable.

In a few weeks, he will stand in the same yard where, for more than three decades, the two friends drank, talked and laughed.

"I think of Hunter as a clown and a jester, and a polo star and a man with a good conscience," Braudis said.

"When he talked about the cannon and his ashes he was serious with a smirk. But Hunter was always serious with a smirk."

And when the cannon goes off, Hunter S. Thompson will vanish on the wind into the national forest.

The wind could gust from the south-east towards the neighbouring town of Basalt and its many open-air-patio restaurants, which makes for the reasonable chance that a tourist could get an extra topping on their pizza.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4445529 - 07/24/05 01:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

sick

InvisibleveggieM

#4521098 - 08/11/05 02:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ready, aim ... fire!
August 11, 2005 - aspentimes.com

The "gonzo cannon" is all but completed, last-minute organizational details are being worked out and the countdown has begun - on Aug. 20, the ashes of the late Hunter S. Thompson will be blasted into the air above his home in Woody Creek.

The "cannon," which at present is shrouded in fabric to hide it from prying eyes, is a steel cylinder tapered toward the top, formed around the steel framework of a crane boom. It reaches 153 feet above the field behind Thompson's Owl Farm, which makes it roughly two feet taller than the Statue of Liberty, as measured from the top of Liberty's base to the tip of the torch.

The "gonzo cannon," as some have labeled it, is topped off with Thompson's infamous emblem, a dagger with a double-thumbed fist clenched around a peyote button as the hilt. It is the Fiberglas fist that forms the platform and framework for the device - which has been described as being similar to a fireworks launcher - that will shoot the writer's ashes skyward.

The unconventional format of the service is viewed by many as a fitting send-off for the creator of the gonzo style of journalism and an acknowledged paragon of satirical, social and political commentary in the United States. It reportedly will cost an estimated $4 million, according to sources close to the effort. Those costs are being borne by actor Johnny Depp, a fellow Kentuckian and close friend of the late writer who portrayed Thompson in the film version of his seminal book, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

In addition to being a final memorial to "the good doctor," the event is being billed as a way of raising public awareness and possibly funds for the Hunter S. Thompson Foundation - a newly launched organization to assist people unjustly prosecuted by the law.

Thompson killed himself with a pistol in his kitchen on the night of Feb. 20 at the age of 67. He left no note, and friends said at the time he had not appeared despondent. But a Boston Globe news report published after the suicide quoted Thompson's attorney as saying the author had been planning his death for some time.

Thompson's remains were cremated a few days after he killed himself.

An invitation-only memorial celebration was held in March at the Hotel Jerome in Aspen, attracting a few hundred friends that included an array of A-list Hollywood actors, famous journalists, writers and editors who had known Thompson through the years, and his group of local friends.

The Aug. 20 event, like the memorial bash in March, is also a private, invitation-only affair. A park-and-ride shuttle system will be operating between the Woody Creek Raceway and Owl Farm because there is very little room for cars to park at Owl Farm itself.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a longtime personal friend of Thompson's who has been helping the family deal with the suicide and its aftermath, said Woody Creek Road will be open to public travel on Aug. 20 but discouraged for anyone who doesn't live nearby or have an invitation to the event. He said "No Parking" signs will be placed along Woody Creek Road, and a tow truck will be on hand to deal with violators.

Initial reports describing the event estimated that the number of guests would be approximately 500, and private security and traffic control companies have been hired to maintain order. Braudis said his deputies will be available for assistance but are not being assigned to work the event itself.

Organizer Matt Moseley, of the GBSM communications firm in Denver, has been designated as chief public liaison for the event. He said the working media is being barred from the service, except for writers, reporters and others who were among Thompson's circle of friends. And those invitees, Moseley said, are being asked not to write about the service.

"We're trying to keep it as low-key as possible," Moseley said.

Thompson's only child, Juan, who works in Denver, told reporter Jeff Kass of the Rocky Mountain News that the service is intended as the final farewell for his father.

"What it comes down to is this is saying goodbye to my dad's ashes," he said, conceding that "it is an unusual way to have your ashes spread." Organizers, the family, and a dedicated core group of friends maintain they are trying to keep the circus-sideshow aspects of the event to a minimum.

Moseley said discussions are under way as to how to distribute photographs and video images to satisfy the public's interest in the event.

"The family has asked that the public respect the nature of the event," Braudis said, adding that "it is a funeral" and that privacy is something such events deserve.

InvisibleveggieM

#4561119 - 08/20/05 10:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hunter S Thompson goes out with a bang
August 20, 2005 - nzherald.co.nz

WOODY CREEK, Colorado - "You can't miss Hunter's place," laughed one of the locals as he waved directions. "There's a huge cannon in the back garden."

He was right. From across the floor of the valley you could see this huge, imposing structure, 150ft or so high, wrapped in blue plastic cladding packed with a mixture of explosives and human ashes.

This, apparently, was what Hunter S Thompson wanted, and this was what Hunter S Thompson was to get. As far back as 1978, the inventor of so-called Gonzo journalism, had said that after his death he wanted his mortal remains blasted into the sky.

And last night at Thompson's Owl Creek farm, set in an otherwise peaceful valley in the Rocky Mountains, the writer's family, friends and a handful of celebrity guests did their best to ensure that his wishes were met.

"No crying, no tears, only celebration," his wife Anita, 32, told a reporter earlier in the week.

"He wanted to celebrate. He envisioned it to be a beautiful party. His friends would celebrate his life and he was even specific that there would be clinking of ice and whiskey."

The $2.5m cost of the private send-off was met by the actor Johnny Depp, a friend of Thompson's who played the journalist in the 1998 film of his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Other celebrities among the 250 invited guests included Lyle Lovett and Sean Penn. There were also rumours circulating up and down the valley that Bob Dylan had flown in for the memorial for the man, who killed himself in February at the age of 67.

On Friday night at the Woody Creek Tavern, one of Thompson's regular hang-outs, there were actually few genuine celebrities but no shortage of fans of "Uncle Duke", who had travelled from across the US to witness the blast-off.

Travis Canaday, 25, a student, had driven 12 hours from Kansas.

"I was 16 when I read Fear and Loathing," he said. "After that I was hooked."

Kevin Coy and Johnny Haney had driven even further - 1600 miles from West Virginia. They pointed out several times that they had brought with them a gallon of Wild Turkey bourbon and "some pills".

"We did it the Gonzo way," one of them said, trying a little too hard.

There were also some of Thompson's drinking buddies, stretching back over the 35 years or so that he lived in the area.

Two men were passing around a little dope pipe, inhaling deeply and screwing up their faces as they held the smoke down.

"In the old days, Hunter was in here quite a bit," said one of them, 62-year-old Andy Paul.

"Everybody knew if he was coming down here, he'd pick up the tab."

Aside from his friends at the bar, it was not entirely clear what the residents in Woody Creek made of the blast-off for Thompson. But most tellingly, it was also unclear whether he would have welcomed all the fuss.

One wonders what the man would have written had he been sent by Rolling Stone to cover such a send-off for a dead writer whose most compelling work had been completed more than 30 years earlier.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4561657 - 08/21/05 01:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Two men were passing around a little dope pipe, inhaling deeply and screwing up their faces as they held the smoke down.

:lol:

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4561663 - 08/21/05 01:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I wish I had been near the area and able to attend. That'd be quite an event to witness in your lifetime.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Hunter S. Thompson Kills Himself [Re: Ravus]
    #4569420 - 08/23/05 03:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

There are few rumors Hunter S. didn't kill himself, but was murdered by the government.

http://members.cox.net/cowicide/hunter.html

I wouldn't suggest going around saying, "THE GOVERNMENT KILLED THOMPSON!" just yet though, unless you want to be looked at as insane.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder