Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
WTF is going on?
    #4568504 - 08/22/05 11:50 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Between the mental and physical health forum and this one, there has been a lot of talk of suicide over the last few months.

Another one just went up over there. What's the wave all about?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: WTF is going on? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4568525 - 08/22/05 11:54 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Suicide is a hot topic with volitile drug users who are heavy with the ego of negative experience. This sounds stupid, but there are so many melodramatic suicide wannabes around a place like this that it is funny.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: WTF is going on? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4568549 - 08/22/05 11:58 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

It seems like it intensified over the last few months and even moreso in the last week. I'm wondering why.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4568580 - 08/23/05 12:02 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

We could form a suicide cult...as long as we don't really have to kill ourselves. As for myself I am not responding to any more suicide threads. I view life as sacred and I will not budge on that. To err on the side of life is always better than the opposite.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4568673 - 08/23/05 12:16 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Well, I guess my views on suicide have changed since my views on death have changed. I have suicidal thoughts pretty much daily, but it's not out of depression or anything, just sort of considering the impulse. I guess because I don't fear death right now, suicide has its appealing moments, like, for once I feel I have true power over myself. The only thing that kept me from being lethal to myself when I was younger was my fear of the afterlife (hell). Now that fear no longer exists in me, or if it does, I have detached myself from it. I believe life is a gift, but then I also believe death will be. That's what makes suicide an attractive option for me from time to time: returning to Everything (GOD).

I'm satisfied to remain on Planet Earth for now.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4568714 - 08/23/05 12:24 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

What about a "life kicks ass cult" or something to turn the tide.:lol:

If not, in one more week we'll be drowning in this recent tsunami around here. Grab your life vests men and head for high ground! :fairy:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: WTF is going on? [Re: MOTH]
    #4568733 - 08/23/05 12:27 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

So you think the recent intensifying wave is about a growing fascination with the after life?

I'm thinking and wondering that people just lost the ability to be fascinated with this one.

I'd like to understand as some of the posts are more along those lines. The new one up in the health forum is a depression one.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4568853 - 08/23/05 12:57 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Off to college and can no longer wash the problems of their life away with drugs all day?

Summer nearing an end?

Position of the stars?

Al-Qaeda is using a suicide ray?

Natural selection going into overdrive?

Could be anything.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: WTF is going on? [Re: MOTH]
    #4568900 - 08/23/05 01:16 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

That's what makes suicide an attractive option for me from time to time: returning to Everything (GOD).

Aren't you part of everything now?

I believe I was returned to everything before I was conceived, and I have no recollection of any memories, consciousness or intelligence in that period. Now seems to be all we have.

And if all we have isn't worth being, what does it matter if we give it up?

Suicide is an attractive option because it returns people to Nothingness. I think most biological life knows this on some instinctive level, which is why it puts its entire energy into avoiding the black hole we all fall in eventually.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
    #4568903 - 08/23/05 01:17 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Between the mental and physical health forum and this one, there has been a lot of talk of suicide over the last few months.

Another one just went up over there. What's the wave all about?

IMO it's always there people are just more frank about it lately. when one person is honest about something dark like suicidal thoughts, that inspires others to be as frank, i think.

i find it to be a wonderful thing that people are talking about suicide. why do we have to run away from this subject?

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: WTF is going on? [Re: daimyo]
    #4568914 - 08/23/05 01:20 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Hm yes, I considered Al Queda might be using a suicide ray. Then I read in PA&L how the Chinese are planning biological war fare on us so they can deal with their over population problem by occupying the U.S.

Perhaps, they put something in U.S. drinking water supplies to get people to off themselves to make more room.

Seriously, is this like some passage of an ego aspect death or something? I'm thinking maybe they don't want all of themselves to die because none of them actually do it. Maybe they just want the part of them that feels like crap to die and they need to just exterminate that useless part of the ego that keeps it alive in misery or something.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4568916 - 08/23/05 01:21 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
So you think the recent intensifying wave is about a growing fascination with the after life?

Or maybe a shift in global consciousness.  Or maybe we're a planet of lazy fucks who have grown too accustomed to things being easy.  :smile:

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: WTF is going on? [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4569150 - 08/23/05 02:06 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

IMO it's always there people are just more frank about it lately. when one person is honest about something dark like suicidal thoughts, that inspires others to be as frank, i think.

i find it to be a wonderful thing that people are talking about suicide. why do we have to run away from this subject?

I think its probably what you said, people coming out as they see others do it. It is good people are talking about it. I was just wondering why so many have been recently. It's probably because of what you said.

It can be depressing to read through though so I am just going to stop reading them myself.

BTW Ellemy, I put up an article in a post called " A spiritual take on human origins. It gives a perspective in their on the return to source that explains that you can do that while embodied. You may enjoy it.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: WTF is going on? [Re: Ravus]
    #4569580 - 08/23/05 08:37 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Quote:

That's what makes suicide an attractive option for me from time to time: returning to Everything (GOD).

Aren't you part of everything now?

I believe I was returned to everything before I was conceived, and I have no recollection of any memories, consciousness or intelligence in that period. Now seems to be all we have.

And if all we have isn't worth being, what does it matter if we give it up?

Suicide is an attractive option because it returns people to Nothingness. I think most biological life knows this on some instinctive level, which is why it puts its entire energy into avoiding the black hole we all fall in eventually.

Very interesting perspective. A taoist like myself might agree. Don Juan certainly would. :wink:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4569589 - 08/23/05 08:43 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
We could form a suicide cult...as long as we don't really have to kill ourselves. As for myself I am not responding to any more suicide threads. I view life as sacred and I will not budge on that. To err on the side of life is always better than the opposite.

If there is no budge then there is no growth.

I view life as sacred and yet feel no problem with suicide. I think it's good when people can talk about all their feelings. There is a balance in these forums you don't always come across in the outside world. Everyone is being "nice and good and correct" . Weather they mean it or not it's their time to explore these issues.  :yinyang:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: WTF is going on? [Re: Icelander]
    #4569937 - 08/23/05 11:04 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

I think it's just the end of summer. There are a LOT of high school and college students on the boards.

As fall approaches, there are high school students who do not know what they are going to do next year or ar worried about college. There are college students who still have not chosen a major, who feel they have no direction in life. There are people graduating college who know nothing about living in the "real" world.

For many young people, fall is the beginning of a new year and inevitably brings stress and feeling of being overwhelmed and unable to cope with life. Hence... suicide mentions increase.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: WTF is going on? [Re: TinTree]
    #4569943 - 08/23/05 11:05 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

Well, that and this:
Quote:

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4570104 - 08/23/05 11:59 AM (12 years, 3 days ago)

during summer
people suddlenly awaken to a reality of heat and light that they think they were dreaming of all winter.
but it is not good enough.
they are not getting a fair shot at life.

the trouble starts
rationale sets in - "the game" is considered - how to get around the absurd rules?
every layer of bullshit bunches up under compression which is an psychological earthquake. many fall into the void that opens.

a very sad business.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4570115 - 08/23/05 12:01 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

There is a seasonal trend toward suicide attempts during the summer months in this hemisphere. April has the highest rate of completed suicides. (The month of December has the lowest rates of both attempts and completed suicides, despite myths to the contrary.)

Here are some signs that someone is serious about killing themself (rather than just depressed or undergoing an existential crisis.)

Quote:

eMedicine said:

1. Patients with definite plans to kill themselves: People who think or talk about suicide are at risk. However, a patient who has a plan, eg, to get a gun and buy bullets, has made a clear statement regarding risk of suicide.

2. Patients who have pursued a systematic pattern of behavior in which they engage in activities that indicate they are leaving life: This includes saying goodbye to friends, making a will, writing a suicide note, and developing a funeral plan.

3. Patients with a strong family history of suicide: Family history of suicide is especially indicative of suicide risk if the patient is approaching the anniversary of such a death or the age at which the relative committed suicide.

4. The presence of a gun, especially a handgun

5. Being under the influence of alcohol or other mind-altering drugs: Drug abuse is especially significant if the drugs are depressants.

6. If the patient encounters a severe, immediate, unexpected loss: This happens when a person is fired suddenly or left by a spouse.

7. If the patient is isolated and alone

8. If the person has a depression of any type: The twin aspects of depression?hopelessness and helplessness?take a significant toll. The person sees no hope or any possibility of hope. The person views the world as black and anticipates no end to the blackness. Furthermore, the patient's self-perception is that he or she is beyond help; nothing has helped and nothing will help. This type of depression can occur in the context of medical or mental disorders. Persons with progressive, fatal, painful illnesses, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or cancer, are at high risk for suicide. Persons with mental disorders, such as schizophrenia, perceive the realty of their disease and the losses it has brought. In the midst of an anxiety disorder or Alzheimer disease, the person feels despair and depression.

9. If the patient experiences command hallucination: A command hallucination ordering suicide can be a powerful message of action leading to death.

10. Discharge from psychiatric hospitals: Patients upon discharge from psychiatric hospitals are at risk. Hospital discharge is a very difficult time of transition and stress. The structure, support, and safety of the institution are no longer available to the patient. The patient feels apprehension and is confronted with the reality of change. This all translates into fright and vulnerability.

11. Anxiety: Anxiety in all of its forms causes the risk for suicide. The constant sense of dread and tension proves unbearable for some.

12. Clinician's feelings: Finally, regardless of what the patient says or does, if the clinician has a feeling that patient is going to commit suicide?consider it a sixth sense or great clinical intuition?the clinician's feelings matter. They are part of clinical judgment and are an important part of the suicide assessment and intervention.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: WTF is going on? [Re: Icelander]
    #4571603 - 08/23/05 06:33 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

"If there is no budge then there is no growth."

Good...so your going to agree with me!!! I knew that you would not want to impede your growth in this fashion. Right?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology