Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Party I played at
    #4568334 - 08/22/05 11:19 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Me and my friends play music together pretty regularly, especially since summer. We dont really have a band or anything per se, we are just nerds and as such, are either watching tv, playing video games, being 'cool' for short periods of time to bed women, studying, or playing music. We dont ever write songs, and what we play isnt always very good at all, sometimes we puprosely try and make it horrible just because we are usually intoxicated in some way and find it amusing. I play classical guitar, electric guitar, and bass. Someone else plays electric and bass, then another electric/bass player, and a sax/drummer. Basically we just play whatever we feel like, but theres only one bass, 2 electrics, one classical, one sax and one set of bongos for drums. So anyways mostly what we will do is someone will start playing something, and then someone else will just join in, pretty entertaining, as everyone tries to solo constantly while still making it sound decent, sort of like sister ray, except not done as well.

So we played at a local party, and we were one of like 3 bands who were going on, we were second, and so we told the audience that we hadnt got any songs and would just try to make something they could possibly dance to, and even if they couldnt, to pretend they could. I was on bass, and started off by playing some bass lines in the key of G major. There was no chord progression I just hit any G maj note I felt like. Then someone else started in with a funky rhythmic thing in a totally unrelated key and just played whatever chord they felt like at the moment. Then another guitar soloed in a unrelated key, and the sax just sort of ran up and down notes fast, sort of like the early 60's avante-garde jazz, but he would also drop in actual melody lines and whatnot. Now I was playing a decently funky bassline, even if it made little sense, so some of the audience was indeed dancing. But realistically Im sure it sounded really horrible as no part of it made much sense. At one point the guitarists totally changed their rhythm to be way out of sync with everything else, just to fuck with the audience, and so the music became utterly undanceable and hard to even decipher. I dont have the greatest musical theory knowledge, so my way of explaining this might be strange, but performing it was fairly amusing to us. Some people made fun of us afterwards because they thought we were trying to be some weird art band or something, and realistically I would have made fun of us too were I in their shoes, but I mean whatever, we were just stoned and fucking around. Its not often one gets a chance to play in front of people liek that, especially with such loud speakers, so we just took advantage of it to mess with them.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: Party I played at [Re: TheCow]
    #4568913 - 08/23/05 01:20 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

that takes serious marbles

a band with 3 guitarists, no songs, and each person plays something that has nothing to do with what anyone else is playing.

no offense, but that sounds pretty terrible.

you actually tried to sound bad on purpose?

you have serious marbles

Invisibleknumb
skull
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: top, bottom, strange, cha...
    #4568941 - 08/23/05 01:29 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

that sounds like lots of fun
i think playing music with friends is my favorite thing to do in the world. it makes me feel like everybodys mind is meeting somewhere above their bodies. of course its not all the time, every time, but when it is...

i like when someone new comes into a regular jam, and everybody starts off kinda pretty and inoffensive just to prove you can if you want to, and then after a few minutes you start throwing out some weirdness and disonance just to see how they will react.

last really good jam i was part of was at a small party. we had everybody involved (even the "nonmusicians") singing along to a simple round (think row row row your boat, but not) with their own made up words. goodness, that will probably never happen again.

i like when everybody forgets what their doing for a while and then wake up playing music.

k

--------------------
----------------------------------------
we hope that you choke

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Party I played at [Re: knumb]
    #4568985 - 08/23/05 01:35 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Its not so much that we wanted it to sound bad, as we just wanted to see what it would sound like and how people would react. I wanted to throw in a long distortion part, but we didnt really have a good means to do that, off topic, but Frank Zappas song weasels ripped my flesh is so amazing for noise, done way before I believe anyone else was even approaching that kind of stuff. But yea jamming in a logical sense is really fun, and you can deffinately start to get lost in the music, playing one song for 20-30 minutes where everyone throws in their own stuff, is quite amazing.

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #4569037 - 08/23/05 01:47 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

yea long jams can take you to some pretty wild musical spaces. 

unfortunately every time i find another guitar player to jam with, i start with a rhythm part to establish the groove.. then the other guy starts to solo over it and NEVER STOPS!!  so it ends up sounding like garbage :frown:

the most important lesson for guitarists to learn is DONT OVERPLAY!!!

man that makes me so mad

a good way to avoid overplaying is to pretend that you're playing a horn or any wind instrument,  and phrases your solos as if you have to stop and take a breath between every so many notes.

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Loc: The universe
Re: Party I played at [Re: BoneMan]
    #4569429 - 08/23/05 05:37 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, music is amazing. It's the universal language anyone can relate to. Most of my friends play an instrument or multiple instruments and we jam sometimes, mostly when we're stoned. It usually is completely random, like your situation, and we just end up laughing because it's so out of key. Oh well, we're not recording a CD! .. yet

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media