Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Strain/Yield/Grow Method
    #4567988 - 08/22/05 10:05 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I've been doing a lot of searching on this and have come up with a lot of conflicting posts. I am planning on using the double tub tek with 18 gallon tubs. The top of the casing (verm/cc) will be roughly 6" from the bottom of the tub and the rest will be sterilized cow shit/verm/brf.

I'm not going to try Pan Cyans because I am a noob so I'd like to try a high yielding cube strain. My question is which one? I'm looking for something that has very high yields and is pretty easy for a noob to grow. I've heard that PRs are high yielding and somewhat more potent on average than other strains but I've also heard that PR is hard to get to fruit. Any suggestions as to what would be good with my set-up?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinetheBRINK
horse on moon
 User Gallery

Loc: the moon
Re: Strain/Yield/Grow Method [Re: llopez00]
    #4568011 - 08/22/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

all cubes are fairly easy and the strain doesn't effect yeild... the substrate and conditions will determine this.

--------------------

OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Loc: USA
Re: Strain/Yield/Grow Method [Re: theBRINK]
    #4568342 - 08/22/05 11:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Agreed. What he said. :thumbup: However, I've had particularly good luck with Orissa India and Keepers Creepers, both of which colonize  quickly, seem contaminate resistant, tolerate varying temperatures, and produce fairly consistent flushes. PF Classic and PR have been reliable producers also, but the fruits have generally been smaller. I haven't noticed much difference in potency among any of the cubensis strains. Your manure should be pasteurized rather than sterilized, btw, and I'd recommend horse over cow manure due to the higher natural straw content, eliminating the need for non-nutritive vermiculite. I wouldn't put BRF in there at all, as you'd be more likely to get contamination. Will you be inoculating PF cakes or grains? Cakes are a bit easier, but grains seem to colonize more quickly and provide more nutrients, and that means potentially greater potency. Be sure to follow whatever tek you are using to the letter for best results.  Grains require the extra steps of a 24-hour soak, an hour of cooking, then draining and sterilizing.

OI

OI

OI

KC

PR

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Strain/Yield/Grow Method [Re: Silly_Cyben]
    #4568469 - 08/22/05 11:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, thanks, but now I'm confused about manure. I thought that pasteurizing it would keep beneficial nutes but will be more contam prone. Sterilizing it will kill beneficial nutes but will be contam resistant. This is what I've gathered from searching so please correct me if I'm wrong and please explain why pasteurizing is the method of choice for poo. Also, I've got plenty of cow poo around here so it will have to do because not many people have horses.

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
    #4568489 - 08/22/05 11:48 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'll be innoculating cakes, btw, in 1/2 pint jars. Well, a lot of them for these tubs.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #4568570 - 08/23/05 12:01 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ralphsters + Eq`s = great grows
Best starter strain and potency is fabulous

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Strain/Yield/Grow Method [Re: OldSpice]
    #4568845 - 08/23/05 12:55 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Does that mean a strain called Ralphster's + Ecuador? Or does it mean Ecuador from Ralphster's?

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #4568864 - 08/23/05 01:01 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

it means ecuador from ralphsters....ecuador from anywhere is good...its a great starter strain

OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

#4568869 - 08/23/05 01:03 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Pasteurizing and sterilizing have no or equal effect on nutes, as far I know. Pasteurizing poo is preferred over sterilizing because certain heat-resistant microbes survive the process, and they help prevent contamination by other harmful organisms. Sterilized poo would be as prone to contamination as any sterilized substrate, and you don't want that at the stage of spawning when it's near impossible to maintain sterile conditions, especially for a large quanitity of substrate. If you have not done so already, I suggest you read the poo teks. It is crucial to use poo that has been thoroughly cured by drying and/or leaching, free from any trace of urine or fermentation odors. You might want to start with a smaller grow to get the hang of it. Losing a single tray is much easier to swallow than losing a whole bin.

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
    #4569767 - 08/23/05 10:07 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Cool, good deal. I've been reading about some of the teks for poo but what about substrates? Can I inoculate PF style jars with manure/verm/perlite in them or something and spawn that to my pasteurized poo? Or would this cause problems because the poo in the jars has been sterilized? I'll read up some more on the manure teks.

OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

#4573629 - 08/24/05 02:35 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I'd recommend following the PF tek to the letter using BRF, vermiculite, and water. Once the cake is fully colonized, it will be resistant to contaminants. Spawning the cake that has been put through a food processor into pasteurized poo ( Roadkills Horse Poo Tek ) has worked great for me in most cases. When filling the jars, never pack them even a little. You want lots of spaces for myc to grow easily. You want the jar to colonize as quickly as possible. I don't think you can fill the jar too loosely, but you can easily fill it too tightly by trying to squeeze just a bit more in.

Edited by Silly_Cyben (08/24/05 02:51 AM)

Offlinemycomatt024
Stranger
    #4575518 - 08/24/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

yea i agree with Silly about pastureizing instead of sterilizing and silly u said that horses have a higher natural straw content, if so then should i add any extra staw to my poo and usueally spawn my poo with colinized sterilized rye grain because i thought rye is soposed to be more nutritios than BRF

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation