Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Who owns the billboards?
    #4556194 - 08/19/05 05:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Is there some monopoly like Clear Channel that owns most of the high profile boards, or can just anyone own one of those?

If you could design a billboard that would be seen every day by thousands of people, what would it say?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: Who owns the billboards? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4557109 - 08/19/05 10:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My gf's great uncle owns one and makes good money off it. It was like 25,000 dollars or something to buy it, but it's a great investment (it's in a good location).

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
    #4557115 - 08/19/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Go look around your local mall. You'll notice that those little kiosk type advertisements on the same billboards as the mall maps... many are owned by Clear Channel as well, as well as many of your local radio stations.

I don't really have much of a problem with Clear Channel as I do with other media giants. The other giants are obviously biased. Clear Channel owns such an ecclectic group of radio stations and advertisements.

They actually hosted a concert by DJ Shadow in DC a few years ago.. so you have to give them some credit.

They're not really a monopoly (like Microsoft got close to becoming)... not even close... they're just the biggest player when it comes to many different markets. Nuthin wrong with that unless you use your powers for evil...

They have tried to muscle around a few local radio stations here and there without much success, however. I don't think they've tried to pull that shit in a few years though.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #4566158 - 08/22/05 10:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

in this area Ted Turner and Lamar own the majority of them

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4566299 - 08/22/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It's all Clear Channel and (I think) Verizon out here in cali.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Who owns the billboards? [Re: afoaf]
    #4566305 - 08/22/05 11:38 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Lamar is the nations largest covering 44 states

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4566445 - 08/22/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Is there some monopoly like Clear Channel that owns most of the high profile boards, or can just anyone own one of those?

If you could design a billboard that would be seen every day by thousands of people, what would it say?

In NYC there is a clearchannel logo beneath almost every single large billboard I see.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4566972 - 08/22/05 03:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I want to see more billboards that say "Hey everybody, smoke more pot!" but I'm guessing none of the major players would allow such a thing, no matter what you paid them.

That's why you would have to buy one.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4567000 - 08/22/05 03:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If you own the land, you can put up a billboard. I've seen a few that are Viacom owned, so I'm sure they restrict what goes up. Most of them come from small local companies that go and discuss land-rental with farmers. At least around here thats how it works. Talk with farmers, see what you can do. Or just put up one on your property.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4567038 - 08/22/05 04:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The farms around here are rife with 3'x3' signs that have pro-Jesus sayings on them, although they are somewhat on the whackier side of Christianity [Summed up; Believe what I believe or burn in the fire, sucka!].  One farmer made a H U G E sign that proclaimed that "HOMOSEXUALS SHALL BE CONSUMED BY THE SNAKE FROM THE FIRE". By huge I'm talking maybe 30'x20'.  Noone ever really complained, it was the front page of the news for a day, about 5 months later he changed it to "REPENT AND BE SAVED OR SIN AND SWIM IN THE LAKE OF FIRE".  I always thought that he really demonstrated Christian tolerance and their belief in a god who's love is unending :wink:

But, yea, to the point, if it's your land, you can probably put up a homemade sign

Oh! Hark! A better one.  Going into a local town here on the main street their is a sign that says "<NAME DELETED> IS A LIAR AND A CHEAT" in M A S S I V E letters.  It's been up for years and noones been able to force them to take it down.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

David Lane

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Who owns the billboards? [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4567043 - 08/22/05 04:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

why delete the name....?

was it you!?

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4567069 - 08/22/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hahah, no, I didn't even eeally edit the post, it was just that I didn't want to put the gys name up for someone to google, pinpoint my location :wink:

--------------------

David Lane

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#4567078 - 08/22/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

MagicalMystery IS A LIAR

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4567093 - 08/22/05 04:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

AND A CHEAT!

--------------------

David Lane

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4567572 - 08/22/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MagicalMystery said:
One farmer made a H U G E sign that proclaimed that "HOMOSEXUALS SHALL BE CONSUMED BY THE SNAKE FROM THE FIRE".

:rofl2:  I would love to see that sign.

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Re: Who owns the billboards? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4567609 - 08/22/05 06:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, thats one of the joys of living here in Openmind, somewhere east of bumfuck.

I once got some cow manure from him for my roses, i'm sure he'd appreciate how they turned out :wink:

--------------------

David Lane

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains