Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Just discovered where I may have gone wrong!
    #4565867 - 08/22/05 05:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I nuked my first casing mix, but when I patched I used no sterilization whatsoever.  I didn't think you had to, but I recently read a post saying you should.  That may be why my casing came to a stand-still. 

What I don't understand is, once you case it and everything, you're leaving it open to contams every time you open it up and waft some air around inside.  Doesn't that then negate all sterilization?  I realize you should case in a sterile environment, but you can only make a tiny bedroom sterile to a certain degree....

Is will oust and lysol be enough to keep the area sterile enough to prevent contams while misting/fanning?

If that's true then I'm pretty psyched about my next attempt...knowing what I did wrong this time around :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Just discovered where I may have gone wrong! [Re: Newbie]
    #4565899 - 08/22/05 06:06 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've also decided my air exchange sucks.  I want to move to a double tub...will this work?

With this design:

1) How many holes should I cut in the tubs?
2) Where should they be located (top and bottom)?
3) Will tyvek over the holes work as a filter?
4) How should the top tub be held together with the bottom? (just placed on top??)
5) Should the casing be put inside of a pan and THEN in the DT or just spawned straight into the DT?

Thanks guys, looking forward to your responses  :smirk:.

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4565913 - 08/22/05 06:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No i highly doubt that was the problem, most casing layer ingredients are pretty contam resistant, and I never sterilize my mix but sometimes pasteurize. One of the purposes of the layer is to protect your substrate, but if you if you just make sure your sub is fully colonized it will help tremendously. Fanning could introduce mold spores to your chamber, thats why u may want to move up to a coolmist. Lysol works pretty good for fighting off contams in a FC.

For double tub, I would make 2 large holes in each side, or 3 small, closer to the bottom the better because CO2 is heavier than air. Tyvek isn't very good for double tub because it doesn't provide nearly as much air exchange as polyfill. I would just tape down one side of the tub with duct tape so you can open it like a chest. You can make a casing in the double tub but if you are already having contam problems I would not recommend it cuz you gotta remember any tiny amount of mold and you lose the whole deal. If you break it up into multiple casings, there will be a lot less regret throwing out 1 or 2 casings compared to the entire thing.

Edited by kronnyQ (08/22/05 06:36 AM)

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Just discovered where I may have gone wrong! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4565926 - 08/22/05 06:48 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah that's what I thought, I figured they'd be resistant so I said screw nuking the patching layers...

Anyway sounds good with the DT, I'll definitely give that a shot.  I have a large roll of polyfill I can put to good use :smile:.

Offlinetoadstools
great googelymoogely
 User Gallery

Loc: FL USA
    #4565940 - 08/22/05 07:07 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It seems for me the air exchange was my biggest friend. I use the single tub method with 8-3/4" holes stuffed with ployfil. 4 at the bottom at the casing level and 4 at the top. I did just fill the whole tub with poo and spawn and then cased the tub. The idea behind this I think is that as the co2 leaks out the lower holes it sucks fresh air in from the top. One thing that sucks is you have these big polyfil wads sticking into your grow area and of course the shrooms are gonna grow right under these wads. On my next grow I am going to silicone a couple of pieces of 3/4" pvc tubing to the tub as flush with the inside surface as possible. That way I can stuff the short sections of tubing with polyfil. Good Luck :smile:
Toadstools

--------------------
:mushroom2: :heart: :sun: Meddle, Meddle, Friend of mine, All good things in all good time! :sun: :heart: :mushroom2:

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: Just discovered where I may have gone wrong! [Re: toadstools]
    #4566779 - 08/22/05 02:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I would also not use oust around your fruiting chamber and if you use lysol, be sure to clean it all out. Using them could have adverse effects on your grow.

-J

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4566881 - 08/22/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Unless you got contams with your casing the sterilization doesn't matter. From your other posts, I think your main problem is TEMPERATURE. You have to find a way to get your temps at a constant 74-77 F. This will help initiate fruiting. Everything else you are doing seems fine. Try cold shocking or moving your FC to a cooler location if at all possible.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Just discovered where I may have gone wrong! [Re: FooMan]
    #4566898 - 08/22/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the input...yea I saw a timer at my local grocery store for like $7...when I get more money I could probably hook a cool mist up to it and set it for 2 hours or so.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale