Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Matrix's Religious Connections
    #4562190 - 08/21/05 12:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

almost every character name has a religious connection, it is amazing and interesting and goes completely along with the storeline. Just something to absorb I guess.

Neo- means 'new' and re-arranged, it becomes 'one' (The One in The Matrix refers to the Savior). It also refers to God in a Neoplatonic idiom, paticularly Plotinus' 'The One' - the 'Fullness' (Greek: Pleroma) also the Absolute in Gnosticism.

Anderson(Neo's Last Name) - 'ander' or 'andro' etymologically means 'man' (as in male hormones - androgens: generating man). 'son' - as in 'Son of Man,' an apocalyptic Biblical way of speaking of saviors in the Book of Daniel (of 'lions den' fame, thrown into a 'fiery furnace' by King Nebucchadnezzer - the name of the ship). Also, 'Son of Man' used alongside of 'Son of God' in the New Testament in reference to the Savior.
Mr. Anderson is the New Son of Man, The One.

The Architect - The Demiurge of Gnosticism, the intermediary deity who creates the [machine] world, yet not the True Deity who created the universe, and humanity which created the machines, which in turn gave rise to the Architect. William Blake the poet, was also a Gnostic, and has a famous painting of the bearded Demiurge with an architect's compass (half the symbol of Freemasonry, the other half being the square), describing the Earth.

Mr. Smith - rebellious, autonomous 'program' which broke away from The Architect Demiurge; parallels Lucifer's rebellion in Heaven and the fall of 1/3 of the angels.

Question: Does The last name smith have any meaning?

The Oracle - parallels John the Baptist where Neo parallels Jesus.

"Temet Nosce" - the sign in the Oracle's kitchen - the Socratic and oracular saying (from the Oracle at Delphi) which means 'Know Thyself,' i.e., Gnosis (Gnothi Sauton in Greek) usually rendered 'Nosce te Ipsum.'

Morpheus- The god of dreams in Ovid's Metamorphoses.

Trinity - Best known in refernce to Christian doctrine, also belongs to ancient Egypt as Osirus-Isis-Horus, India as Brahman-Vishnu-Shiva, Kabbalistic Judaism as Ain-Ain Sof-Ain Sof Aur.

Switch- A transference or shift, as of opinion or attention.

Apoc.-

1. Apocalypse.
2. Apocrypha.

- apocalypse- Any of a number of anonymous Jewish or Christian texts from around the second
century B.C. to the second century A.D. containing prophetic or symbolic visions, especially of the imminent
destruction of the world and the salvation of the righteous.

Great or total devastation; doom: the apocalypse of nuclear war.

A prophetic disclosure; a revelation.

- Apocrypha- The biblical books included in the Vulgate and accepted in the Roman Catholic and Orthodox canon
but considered noncanonical by Protestants because they are not part of the Hebrew Scriptures. See table at Bible.
Various early Christian writings proposed as additions to the New Testament but rejected by the major canons.
apocrypha Writings or statements of questionable authorship or authenticity.

Canon- A member of certain religious communities living under a common rule and bound by vows.

The Merovingian - the Merovingian blood-line refers to descendents of Sarah, the daughter of Jesus and Mary Magdalene, who sailed to southern Gaul (France) after the crucifixion of Jesus.

cypher-

The mathematical symbol (0) denoting absence of quantity; zero.
An Arabic numeral or figure; a number.
One having no influence or value; a nonentity.

tank- An enclosed, heavily armored combat vehicle that is armed with cannon and machine guns and moves on continuous tracks.

Nebuchadnezzar- in the Babylonian orthography Nabu-kudur-uzur, which means "Nebo, protect the crown!" or the "frontiers." In an inscription he styles himself "Nebo's favourite." He was the son and successor of Nabopolassar, who delivered Babylon from its dependence on Assyria and laid Nineveh in ruins.

-Nabopolassar- (Akkadian:Nab?-apal-usur) was the first king of the Chaldean Empire, better known as Babylon (625 BC-605 BC).

He rose into revolt against the Assyrian Empire (Which had ruled Babylon for the last 200 years) in 625 BC after the last really powerful Assyrian king, Assur-bani-pal died in 627 BC.

- Assyria-About 1810 BC an Assyrian king, Shamshi-Adad I (reigned 1813-1780 BC), succeeded in extending the territory of Assyria from the Zagros Mountains to the Mediterranean Sea. Shamshi-Adad may have been the first ruler to establish a centrally organized empire in the ancient Middle East. He divided his kingdom into districts under specially appointed administrators and councils, instituted a system of couriers, and took a census of the population at regular intervals.

Question: So basicly Assyria was one of the first organized empires. kinda like the germany of their time?

These are just a few of the ones I looked into, it would take months to break all this shit down. I am going to have to explore this further though.

--------------------

Edited by Just_a_Shadow (08/21/05 01:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

Re: Matrix's Religious Connections [Re: Just_a_Shadow]
    #4562282 - 08/21/05 01:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

We going for symbolism or religion?

Their ship the Nebuchadnezzar was my favorite.
Nebuchadnezzar "in the Babylonian orthography Nabu-kudur-uzur, which means "Nebo, protect the crown!" or the "frontiers"."
I really love that one, its like 'vehicle to greatness'.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Matrix's Religious Connections [Re: LittleBen]
    #4562303 - 08/21/05 01:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

We going for symbolism or religion?

What do you think religion is?

Quote:

Their ship the Nebuchadnezzar was my favorite.
Nebuchadnezzar "in the Babylonian orthography Nabu-kudur-uzur, which means "Nebo, protect the crown!" or the "frontiers"."
I really love that one, its like 'vehicle to greatness'.

I'll add that one in, I looked that up also in the past but was not quite so interested being the atheist that I was. I like that, the "vehicle to greatness". Its all very interesting, but not to be taken litterly, but more of a way to create connections within the mind, or questions.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4562338 - 08/21/05 01:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Neo - means 'new' and re-arranged, it becomes 'one' (The One in The Matrix refers to the Savior). It also refers to God in a Neoplatonic idiom, paticularly Plotinus' 'The One' - the 'Fullness' (Greek: Pleroma) also the Absolute in Gnosticism.

Anderson - 'ander' or 'andro' etymologically means 'man' (as in male hormones - androgens: generating man). 'son' - as in 'Son of Man,' an apocalyptic Biblical way of speaking of saviors in the Book of Daniel (of 'lions den' fame, thrown into a 'fiery furnace' by King Nebucchadnezzer - the name of the ship). Also, 'Son of Man' used alongside of 'Son of God' in the New Testament in reference to the Savior.

Mr. Anderson is the New Son of Man, The One.

The Architect - The Demiurge of Gnosticism, the intermediary deity who creates the [machine] world, yet not the True Deity who created the universe, and humanity which created the machines, which in turn gave rise to the Architect. William Blake the poet, was also a Gnostic, and has a famous painting of the bearded Demiurge with an architect's compass (half the symbol of Freemasonry, the other half being the square), describing the Earth.

Mr. Smith - rebellious, autonomous 'program' which broke away from The Architect Demiurge; parallels Lucifer's rebellion in Heaven and the fall of 1/3 of the angels.

The Oracle - parallels John the Baptist where Neo parallels Jesus.

"Temet Nosce" - the sign in the Oracle's kitchen - the Socratic and oracular saying (from the Oracle at Delphi) which means 'Know Thyself,' i.e., Gnosis (Gnothi Sauton in Greek) usually rendered 'Nosce te Ipsum.'

Trinity - Best known in refernce to Christian doctrine, also belongs to ancient Egypt as Osirus-Isis-Horus, India as Brahman-Vishnu-Shiva, Kabbalistic Judaism as Ain-Ain Sof-Ain Sof Aur.

The Merovingian - the Merovingian blood-line refers to descendents of Sarah, the daughter of Jesus and Mary Magdalene, who sailed to southern Gaul (France) after the crucifixion of Jesus.

I could enter into associate Buddhist speculations, but the Gnostic ones are more interesting.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Matrix's Religious Connections [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4562390 - 08/21/05 01:36 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for! :laugh: keep it comming.

Quote:

In the movie what is  "The Merovingian"? it does not sound famillier.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4562441 - 08/21/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The Merovingian is the French man (which figures) who loves the French language ("...eet's like wiping your ass weeth silk..."). If you can't remember him, can you rember his wife? I for one can't forget Monica Belluci AKA 'Persephone' (Greek goddess, daughter of Great Mother Demeter, who was abducted into the underworld by the god Hades while picking psychotropic herbs).

--------------------

OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4562452 - 08/21/05 01:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The one who hold the "key" or something of the sort? and she helps them out?

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4562468 - 08/21/05 01:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Correct.

--------------------

OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

#4562497 - 08/21/05 02:15 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Zion is an idealized, harmonious community; utopia. Did you get that from the movie?

Good list going

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4562591 - 08/21/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you, I am going to re-watch the movie matrix, and two others with my new perception to help develop my ideas and beliefs. It is amazing how a person can watch a movie 100 times in his or her life and see new meaning each time. Keep the list going and I'll be back later today. Everyones input is appreciated :smile:

--------------------

OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4564005 - 08/21/05 09:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ahh I see this now, I shal add this to the list, this is an amazing movie when I watch it from this new pespective.

"Free your mind" thats what it all comes down to.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology