Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinemyCo_psyCo
a mycologist inthe making
Male User Gallery

Loc: own private hell
Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: LazyCrash]
    #4562807 - 08/21/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

one of my friends had a rabbit that died about a day later after eating a 'shroom.......but we didnt know if it was it

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: ShroomKillabrew]
    #4562814 - 08/21/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomKillabrew said:
Never mind the LD50 for humans is 1680 grams of dried mushrooms. That's 3.69 pounds of dried shrooms. It would be impossible for a human to die from shrooms.

have you ever taken a beyond-heroic dose of shrooms? yes, its very possible to die, you could easily have a heart attack from the rapid heart rate it gives you. Ive always heard people mention that you black out at the highest doses of a drug, and this may be the case with THC, but psilo is much different. there is no blacking out, there is just panic attacks and severe load on the body and mind, close to that of torture.

Did these "scientists" who gave the # of grams for the LD50 of humans take in account the psycological and physical truama experienced at even half those levels? no, because they were basing their findings off of mice, then comapring weight ratio's. Scientists shouldnt be dabbling in the affairs of psychonauts. Aside from that, they didnt take in account all the other natural alkaloids present in different samples of mushrooms, they were most likely using synth'd psilocybin or psilocin. Even if their findings were correct, it would be impossible to use that information to determine a correct dosage of mushrooms.

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: yousuck]
    #4562825 - 08/21/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

yousuck said:
Quote:

ShroomKillabrew said:
Never mind the LD50 for humans is 1680 grams of dried mushrooms. That's 3.69 pounds of dried shrooms. It would be impossible for a human to die from shrooms.

have you ever taken a beyond-heroic dose of shrooms? yes, its very possible to die, you could easily have a heart attack from the rapid heart rate it gives you. Ive always heard people mention that you black out at the highest doses of a drug, and this may be the case with THC, but psilo is much different. there is no blacking out, there is just panic attacks and severe load on the body and mind, close to that of torture.

Did these "scientists" who gave the # of grams for the LD50 of humans take in account the psycological and physical truama experienced at even half those levels? no, because they were basing their findings off of mice, then comapring weight ratio's. Scientists shouldnt be dabbling in the affairs of psychonauts. Aside from that, they didnt take in account all the other natural alkaloids present in different samples of mushrooms, they were most likely using synth'd psilocybin or psilocin. Even if their findings were correct, it would be impossible to use that information to determine a correct dosage of mushrooms.

Can u give a link to atleast 1 documented death due to the ingestion of shrooms alone please?  :stoned:

--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: Annom]
    #4563142 - 08/21/05 03:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Annom said:
Quote:

Ramuh said:
The LD50 for psilocybin in rats is 280mg/kg (LD50 means the dosage it takes to kill 50% of the subjects, obviously done on rats and such).

So...280mg is .28g if Im not mistaken. Assuming the scale could possibly be inaccurate to the point of the dose he gave the rat being 150mg, this would mean that a .5kg rat or less probably would've had a good chance of dying from that dose, yes.

Someone correct my math if I'm wrong please.

150mg of mushrooms is not the same as 150mg of psilocybin. 150mg of psilocybin is about equal to 15g of fresh Cubensis.

Ahh, thank you. I knew something was wrong with that number, because even for a rat that seemed really low :P.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

OfflineVeter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: Ramuh]
    #4563493 - 08/21/05 04:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Theres the possibility that it had a heart attack, so you can't conclude definitely that the shrooms were the real killer...I mean, they ultimately were in either case, but you never know.

But, yeah, this situation is definitely possible.

--------------------
Let the Demons have their place, if so, it's angels you'll create.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: ShroomKillabrew]
    #4563536 - 08/21/05 04:56 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomKillabrew said:
LD50 for humans is 1680 grams of dried mushrooms.

Where is this information from?

--------------------

Offlineriby
Stranger
Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: coda]
    #4563545 - 08/21/05 04:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
i just think its fucked up to give any unsuspecting animal drugs. This is why. What purpose did killing that rat serve, just to see what would happen? People never fail to amaze me and disgust me at the same time.

animals have been easting shroom forever, terrence suspects its part of evolutionary success.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4563682 - 08/21/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

150mg of mushrooms is not the same as 150mg of psilocybin. 150mg of psilocybin is about equal to 15g of fresh Cubensis.

I don't mean to be a stickler but I don't think that's right. The average dose of mushrooms has between 10-25mg of psilocybin, and that's roughly 30 grams wet cubensis.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: dblaney]
    #4563762 - 08/21/05 06:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

dblaney18 has it right. thanks for catching it--if not i would have!

150mg of pure psilocybin is an insanely high dose. in a controlled setting, one would normally eat only about 20mg for a medium-strong trip.

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #4563819 - 08/21/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ginseng1 said:
Quote:

yousuck said:
Quote:

ShroomKillabrew said:

Can u give a link to atleast 1 documented death due to the ingestion of shrooms alone please?  :stoned:

none that come to mind, but im not big on researching stuff anyways. id like to think that most people who ingest psilocybin mushrooms intentionally do with the intention of not OD'ing and killing themselves. honestly, how many cases have you heard of pople ODing on mushrooms? not alot, since most people are more careful than that. Of course im not one of those careful people :frown: 

of course, someone is more likely to fall and hit their head on something, or do something stupid to kill themselves than they are to suffer from a heart attack.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: yousuck]
    #4563825 - 08/21/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Heart wise, you're much more at risk smoking pot. It can potentially aggravate heart conditions, mushrooms, not so much.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: dblaney]
    #4565261 - 08/21/05 11:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dblaney18 said:

I don't mean to be a stickler but I don't think that's right. The average dose of mushrooms has between 10-25mg of psilocybin, and that's roughly 30 grams wet cubensis.

Yeah, it's wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. It should have been 150g. Calculation with 1 milligrams of psilocybin per gram of fresh cubensis.

OfflineBadmoon
Can YOU pass theacid test?
    #4565318 - 08/21/05 11:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I put a little peice of shroom im rat's cage one time and I don't know if he ate it or not but he was definatly alive last time I saw him.

--------------------
"Turn off your mind relax and float down stream"

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #4566167 - 08/22/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ginseng1 said:

Its just a rat...

It might be just a rat, but it is still a lifeform, and as such, should still be respected.
I doubt very highly the psilocybin killed it. But as was previously mentioned... it probably had a heart attack from fear. Not being able to comprehend what was happening to it! IMO

Shdwstr

OfflineRob
Curious Stranger
Male
Re: Rat killed from shrooms? [Re: Shdwstr]
    #4569018 - 08/22/05 11:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Please DO NOT give any pot smoke to your pets, especially a dog. I know a girl who brought her fully grown german sheppard into a hot box (stupid move to begin with), and as the story goes, the dog died within minutes inside the hotbox. Don't be stupid, use your own drugs. Animals can't say no, and of course they'll eat it, it's food to them.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate