Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleReverend_Jim_Jones
Stranger
very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand *DELETED*
    #4556457 - 08/19/05 06:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted

Edited by Reverend_Jim_Jones (03/29/08 05:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: Reverend_Jim_Jones]
    #4556506 - 08/19/05 07:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

very interesting picture. ive never seen anything like it. but ide be interested to see more on these mushrooms.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4558290 - 08/20/05 09:21 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yes I have talked to a few people who have taken these....some say they think its psilocybin, some say they think its something else. I've heard from reliable trippers (people I trust can distinguish real effects from placebo and have tripped on enough of both those and psilocybes to tell the difference) reckon that the 'blue meanies' (the pouch ones) are more of a body-oriented trip than the psilocybes.

I've got a few dried specimens of the suspected weraroa, which I am intending on taking into the lab sometime soon and doing some microscopic evaluations just to double check its ID. Hopefully I can find the little buggers spores!!

So have you tracked any of these down yourself RJJ? Some more pics of them would be awesome. And bioassays, of course :wink:

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#4558490 - 08/20/05 10:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I would really appreciate a detailed description and a couple of nice close-up photos.

Thanks in advance,
ivi

--------------------

Offlinejobot37
Edible hunter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oregon, Willamette Valley
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: ivi]
    #4558684 - 08/20/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

wow, that is really interesting, but i assume they are a product of their own enclosed environment and dont grow anywhere else? oh well, it would be cool to try some of those though, i wonder if the trip is any different from psilocybes, i assume so, but still....

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #4559028 - 08/20/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The Maori do not use magic psilocybian musrhooms for any purposes, unless they are maoris interested int he youth-drug subculture.

Read of karl L. R. Jansen's ntoes from John Allen's, "Magic Mushroms of Australia and New Zealand,"

Quote:

Finally, it was suggested by several persons in the study that the Maori (the indigenous race) may have used psilocybin mushrooms. This possibility was also mentioned by R.G. Wasson on a visit to NZ, in relation to the theory which holds that concepts of divinity may have arisen in primitive peoples out of psychedelic drug experiences. In fact, there is no evidence of any sort to support the use of these mushrooms by the pre-conquest Maori. The Maori are quite distinctive for having used no consciousness altering drugs of any kind, and were highly skilled at treating food to remove toxic substances. This conclusion was supported by all of NZ's Professors of Maori studies, and many other scholars of the Maori culture, in a series of consultations carried out in l988. It appears that the Maori culture represents at least one instance of a complex and rich theology and mythology, involving priests (tohunga's) and the frequent invocation of deities in daily life, which did not require the use of consciousness-altering chemicals.

Also, there is a species named Psilocybe novaezealandiae Guzman and Horak from New Zealand. It is a non psychoactive Psilocybe. Someo how someone posted some misinformation regarding this Psilocybe.

Stranger
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand *DELETED* [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4560232 - 08/20/05 06:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted

Edited by Reverend_Jim_Jones (03/29/08 05:39 AM)

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#4560494 - 08/20/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

MJ, how do you know that? Maori culture is actually rather unknown to most westerners. The main reason being they had a nearly 100% oral culture which was mostly destroyed by white people arriving in NZ. There are a few species of very active native NZ psilocybes (Ps. makarorae, Ps. aucklandii, and some un ID'd ones, plus these weraroa pouch fungi). When you look at how much maori know about the different plants of the forest and what to eat, I am quite certain that they probably would have tried eating hallucinogenic mushrooms before. If you look at their artwork / carvings and their mythology, it is infact very 'psychedelic' in many ways, and the carvings , tattoos etc. look a lot like shroom hallucinations. There were also different subcultures within the old-school maoris. Some seemed a lot trippier than others, from the limited info that I know.

Anyway I'm not saying that they definitley were trippers, but I wouldn't be so sure that they were not.

Jim Jones, cheers for that info, that will help me when I go to check out their spores. I'll hopefully get digital pics of them to post up here.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #4561278 - 08/20/05 11:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The Weraroa genus is suspected of being derived from the Psilocybe genus. A local (western USA) species, Weraroa cucullata is given the common name, Gastroid Liberty cap because its shape and habit closely resemble Psilocybe semilanceata. I wasn't aware there were any bluing representatives of this genus but that would strengthen the evidence that Weraroa is closely related to the psilocybes.

I am extremely interested in examining a dried specimen of this species with mature spores. Perhaps it is culturable. Check PM.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Stranger
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand *DELETED* [Re: Workman]
    #4561606 - 08/21/05 01:14 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted

Edited by Reverend_Jim_Jones (03/29/08 05:39 AM)

Stranger
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand *DELETED* [Re: Reverend_Jim_Jones]
    #4561621 - 08/21/05 01:22 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted

Edited by Reverend_Jim_Jones (03/29/08 05:40 AM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4562178 - 08/21/05 10:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

jim those pictures are making me cream in ways i never thought possible. this looks really interesting, i cant wait to hear more about it.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA Flag
    #4562196 - 08/21/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

This is one very interesting thread.

" I have a couple sitting in front of me and they are definitly not a Psilocybe species. I'm near 100 percent sure they are a weraroa (N.Z pouch fungi). "

In your last 3 photos, the blueing is especially noticable. Do these only grow in NZ? What is the habitat for these? Can you take some habitat photos?

I look forward to seeing future posts. Thanks.

OfflineDannyKindbuds
Drunkenite
 User Gallery

Loc: Buford GA
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: Stymee]
    #4562839 - 08/21/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

And here I am, philosophizing, reading this post, and thinking to myself... "My philosophy on enlightenment is based upon the consumption of diff mushrooms for different aspects of reality to be unlocked, and the consumption of a combination of certain species could be the key to something mankind has searched for for years (the wrestler, not the human race). Based on the availability of this mushroom, and the differences between it and other psychedelic fungi, I have a nice feeling about, and must, at some point in time, experience it"

This is the most interesting thread I've read, and I'd love to see some more about it.

--------------------
respect, not just consume

-Dann K. Buds

Edited by DannyKindbuds (08/22/05 09:52 AM)

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4566312 - 08/22/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

This one looks like a blood bloated tick. Hehe.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (08/22/05 11:42 AM)

OfflineSuburbanLife
Stranger
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: DannyKindbuds]
    #4566661 - 08/22/05 02:08 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DannyKindbuds said:
And here I am, philosophizing, reading this post, and thinking to myself... "My philosophy on enlightenment is based upon the consumption of diff mushrooms for different aspects of reality to be unlocked, and the consumption of a combination of certain species could be the key to something mankind has searched for for years (the wrestler, not the human race). Based on the availability of this mushroom, and the differences between it and other psychedelic fungi, I have a nice feeling about, and must, at some point in time, experience it"

This is the most interesting thread I've read, and I'd love to see some more about it.

eat any good shrooms today?

i don't understand, are they psychedelic...

Offlinehaunted
 User Gallery

Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: SuburbanLife]
    #4569154 - 08/23/05 12:06 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hmm I guess I owe it to myself to go out and find some of these, considering they're probably growing all around my house. If I do i'll get habitat pics.

interesting discussion here... sometimes its hard to pull anyone's input into anything thats not cubensis related :grin:

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: haunted]
    #4602587 - 08/31/05 05:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I just spent a few days in the Fiordland National Park...south west Te Wai Pounamu. Had seen a few interesting fungi, but nothing TOO interesting...till I was going for a bush walk yesterday and saw, sticking out of a mossy mound, a blue weraroa!!! Upon searching around, I found about 25 within a 5 meter squared area. I collected eight nice specimens for further ID'ing. I'm not sure whether they are novaezelandiae, or virescens, or maybe something else. Though I'm pretty sure they're one of those two. They were quite blue even before picking, but not quite as blue as the pic of virescens on hiddenforest.co.nz website.
The description of novaezelandiae seems to fit, but I will try to run these past an expert mycologist for a more solid ID.
They were growing in the ground litter of lowland rainforest in the southwestern corner of the south island. Here are some pics. Unfortunatley because light levels were low I used a flash a lot of the time so the blueness kind of got washed out by the flash intensity, but the blue can be seen in some of the pics, it was certainly very obvious in real life.

A slice of a half dried out specimen (about 30 hours after picking)

A habitat shot:

Edited by zee_werp (08/31/05 05:42 AM)

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: zee_werp]
    #4603403 - 08/31/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent pictures! They are much larger than earlier images suggested. I especially appreciate the cross section.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: very active Non-Psilocybe from New Zealand [Re: zee_werp]
    #4603952 - 08/31/05 01:56 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

wow, very interesting thread...great photos too :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale