Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
External Hard Drives
    #4555581 - 08/19/05 03:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm in the market for an external hard drive for my iBook G4, probably about 80 to 160 GB. Just want a place to put a bunch of music and pictures and free up my laptop's harddrive. My question is this: should I get a new one, or is there a way to fully erase a used one. I've been looking on eBay, and found a nice used one but am afraid it may not run in top form because it's been used. Tips, suggestions, similar stories? :smile:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: External Hard Drives [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4555694 - 08/19/05 04:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Also, does anyone have any experience with those double-layer DVD recorders? That may be an option, too. Cuz then I could put like 8.5 GB on a disc, which is awesome, and I could burn DVD's shich I would like to do.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gedankenexperiment
    #4556095 - 08/19/05 06:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You can get a 160 gig Seagate from Wal-Mart for like $120. I got one and I use it for storage (music, vid, software installers, books, work stuff).

I love it, everytime I re-format my windows partition (like once a month) I have all the software, music, and work shit right there.

And, it's pretty fast with USB 2

--------------------

Signature (up to 750 characters).

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
    #4556428 - 08/19/05 08:43 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

To have the most flexibility I would get a external case that connects via firewire & by a hard drive separately & install it yourself. That way if it ever fills up or goes bad you can replace it with another hard drive. Also if you get one that connects via firewire you can boot to it if you install a operating system on it. It makes a good a troubleshooting tool if your system ever goes down on your internal hard drive & you can still use it for storage.

InvisibleLazlow
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Re: External Hard Drives [Re: BigGameHunter]
    #4557365 - 08/20/05 01:57 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BigGameHunter said:
To have the most flexibility I would get a external case that connects via firewire & by a hard drive separately & install it yourself. ...

:thumbup: I second that. 

I would probably also avoid buying a used hard drive.  Because they have moving parts, hard drives only spin for a finite number of hours before they fail.  It's hard to know how long a used hard drive has been running or if it was operated in a hot environment that would shorten its life.

DL DVDs are aight I guess, but they are so much more expen$ive per GB than single layer discs. Check out the prices before you get too enthused.

Good luck.

InvisibleBully
CheapShot-SinisterStrike
 User Gallery
Loc: Pennsyltucky, USA
    #4558243 - 08/20/05 10:58 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

it would use a little more power from the battery but if I was you, I'd get the biggest laptop harddrive I could afford and get one of these....

http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelectronics/pmusb20exhad.html

The drives gets its power from the usb and it comes with a little case to put it in.  :cool:

I use mine all the time. Take it over to a friends place and share all kinds of stuff  :crazy2:

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #4558545 - 08/20/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I got my 80gig usb2 external from officemax for only 40 bucks. Clearance special woot. I use it for extra storage if i run out of the 360 gigs i have in my machine and if i want to take some stuff to a friends.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: External Hard Drives [Re: Lazlow]
    #4563915 - 08/21/05 08:46 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'll third that. Just check out the weekly ads. I bought a couple of Western digital 160 gigs for $~40 each after mail in rebates. The external enclosure was like $25.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology