Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Lawyer says attempted rapist was high on mushrooms [NY]
    #4554110 - 08/19/05 02:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Lawyer says attempted rapist was high on mushrooms
August 18, 2005 - zwire.com

The lawyer for a Bayside man charged with the attempted rape last week of a 73-year-old woman in Kissena Park said his client was high on psychedelic mushrooms at the time.

Steven Murphy, attorney for Robert McKeon, 22, of 219th Street in Bayside, said in a phone interview on Tuesday that his client admitted to police that he had tried to rape a woman on August 10th in the park while under the influence of the mushrooms. "He had taken an eighth of an ounce of the mushrooms and it left him with an unexpected and violent effect."

According to Murphy, McKeon was with friends in a car that morning when the effects of the drug were manifested. His friends removed him from the car because of his violent reaction and he dove in front of the wheels, but only suffered minor bruises. That's when he entered Kissena Park, near Peck Avenue.

"His friends were afraid he would cause a crash because of his actions and threw him out," Murphy said. He then entered the west side of the Flushing park.

Police report that the elderly victim had just completed t'ai chi exercises, around 9 a.m., when she was tackled to the ground by McKeon. According to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown, at that point the defendant allegedly partially disrobed the victim and pulled her shirt over her face to prevent her from seeing him.

He then allegedly assaulted her in earshot of 10 witnesses, who alerted police. When McKeon saw police arrive, he fled into some bushes, where he was soon found. The victim, whose name was not released, sustained broken blood vessels in her eye and contusions to various parts of her body.

McKeon was arraigned before Queens Criminal Court Judge Lenora Gerald on charges of attempted rape, sexual abuse and assault. Bail was set at $175,000. His next court date is August 29th.

The defendant faces up to 15 years in jail if found guilty and he would have to register as a sex offender.

His attorney said that he will plea bargain and hopes his client will get a lighter sentence since he has no past criminal record. "This was completely aberrant behavior," Murphy said. "I have known the family for 40 years and Robert since he was a little boy. It's no excuse, but he was under the effects of the psychedelic mushrooms."

Murphy, who initially turned down the case, was convinced by McKeon's family to take it. He has handled many rapper cases, including the entourage of 50 Cent.

"This is a horrible situation," he said. "The family is in a state of shock and couldn't believe it."

Murphy asked him why he did it, but McKeon had no answer and remained spaced out for another day. "He has no idea why he did it and wished he would have died when he threw himself at the car (so that the attack wouldn't have followed)."

Murphy said that McKeon had taken psychedelic mushrooms once before to get high, but had used a much smaller amount and the effects were mild. The 22-year-old is a student at Queens College and works part-time as a bus boy in a Great Neck restaurant.

Although the incident shook up the nearby community, Kissena Park Civic Association Vice President Beverly McDermott believes the incident was an isolated one. She also serves as Kissena Park steward and spends a lot of time there.

"The park is safe. I would not hesitate to walk my dog there at 5 a.m.," she said. "This is an isolated case and nobody is frightened."

McDermott added that the park remains popular, but that it is important for people to look out for each other. "Some people are afraid to get involved, but in this case that wasn't true."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: Lawyer says attempted rapist was high on mushrooms [NY] [Re: veggie]
    #4556329 - 08/19/05 08:06 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

"This was completely aberrant behavior," Murphy said. "I have known the family for 40 years and Robert since he was a little boy. It's no excuse, but he was under the effects of the psychedelic mushrooms."

It's not excuse...but here's an excuse.
:whatever:

Obviously people think they know someone until their psyche unfolds on some mushrooms, then the asshole within becomes apparent.  Balanced people on shrooms dont flip out, get violent, and try to rape old women.  This story puts a bad spin on mushrooms unfortunately.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Lawyer says attempted rapist was high on mushrooms [NY] [Re: kake]
    #4557905 - 08/20/05 06:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That is really horrible and unfortunate. I feel sorry for both of them.

But I can't help but find it slightly amusing, picturing the scenario in my head. If it was in a movie or something rather than actually happening, I'd probably even find it funny. That guy must have been tripping out pretty hard.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Lawyer says attempted rapist was high on mushrooms [NY] [Re: zee_werp]
    #4557946 - 08/20/05 07:46 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

> That guy must have been tripping out pretty hard.

Nah, I think kake pretty much nailed it. The mushrooms simply amplified, or brought out, what was already there.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: Lawyer says attempted rapist was high on mushrooms [NY] [Re: veggie]
    #4558149 - 08/20/05 10:27 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Mushrooms make you rape...flashback to the 40s here

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service