Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Local meth labs down 90%, imported meth up 500% [OK]
    #4552235 - 08/18/05 05:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Oklahoma meth users importing
August 18, 2005 - nwsource.com

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Just when Oklahoma finally found a way to put its homegrown methamphetamine labs out of business, drug agents began finding more meth from Mexican cartels on the street.

Oklahoma's meth-lab seizures have fallen 90 percent since April 2004, when it became the first state to ban over-the-counter sales of everyday cold and allergy medications that can be converted into methamphetamine in makeshift labs.

But at the same time, seizures of smokable Mexican meth known as "crystal ice" rose nearly fivefold, from 384 cases in the 15 months before the law to 1,875 since.

Mexican groups that traditionally focused on trafficking cocaine, heroin and marijuana have added methamphetamine to their supply, said Lonnie Wright, director of the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control.

"We're regrouping and we're kind of at a crossroads," Wright told members of the Oklahoma Sentencing Commission this month. "I think we're through with meth labs, at least for now."

Oklahoma's success in shutting down the labs prompted more than a dozen other states to follow suit with similar limits on pseudoephedrine. Congress is mulling federal restrictions on the nasal decongestant, found in common medicines such as Sudafed and Nyquil.

Other states that have copied Oklahoma's approach expect to see a similar increase in Mexican meth.

"If you're a meth addict, you either throw in the towel and go into treatment, or you scramble to find some other way to get it," said Curt Smith, assistant director of programs for Iowa's Office of Drug Control Policy in Iowa.

But drug agents say they can fight ice with techniques they already employ against cocaine and other organized drug trafficking.

"Clandestine labs are like forest fires cropping up all over the state," said Jennifer Johnson, spokeswoman for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations. "When you have something that's big and contained, at least you can fight it in the same way you always have."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Local meth labs down 90%, imported meth up 500% [OK] [Re: veggie]
    #4552646 - 08/18/05 07:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

But drug agents say they can fight ice with techniques they already employ against cocaine and other organized drug trafficking.

"Clandestine labs are like forest fires cropping up all over the state," said Jennifer Johnson, spokeswoman for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations. "When you have something that's big and contained, at least you can fight it in the same way you always have."

And we all know how well that's working out for them. :smirk:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4552676 - 08/18/05 07:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hopefully the Mexicans actually know how to make it. The meth here seems very iffy, since many people who couldn't make pancake batter were just getting recipes off the internet and cooking up meth.

At least the Mexican superlabs should have experience in making it correctly, rather than some kid wanting a few extra bucks.

Of course, the best solution would be legalizing it.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: Local meth labs down 90%, imported meth up 500% [OK] [Re: Ravus]
    #4553537 - 08/18/05 11:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

As I understand it, at least in the west coast, regardless of the definate activity of local producers, 80% of methamphetamine was STILL imported ('cause super labs are, well, SUPER) and of good purity.

There's BIG MONEY in making it easier for the big drug cartels to make money.

--------------------
delta9

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #4555047 - 08/19/05 12:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

But at the same time, seizures of smokable Mexican meth known as "crystal ice" rose nearly fivefold, from 384 cases in the 15 months before the law to 1,875 since.

Since when isnt all crank smokeable?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Local meth labs down 90%, imported meth up 500% [OK] [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4556363 - 08/19/05 08:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Somehow you'd think agencies that powerful would know damn well that they can't stop black market business that easily, or at all for that matter.

Wow, you cracked down on meth labs and now you have a problem with imports? Who'd have thunk it?

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service