Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecloudcity
Stranger
 User Gallery
casing, grains, and a clean setup...???
    #4551807 - 08/18/05 03:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

after a few attempts and moderate results with BRF Im going to go with cased grains/WBS, which seems a better way all around-

previously, ive had problems with contams (lots) and grains seem straight forward (and perhaps less chance of contam?? due to PCing and less mixing, materials, exposure ?)

with BRF I didnt use a glove box, cleaned the area up and sprayed with lysol-

but Im not too interested in lysol, stinks like all hell and doesnt seem to fit the procedure, as far respect and consideration for the whole thing and the big picture..

are there alternatives to lysol? any natural alternatives?
if Im casing, pcing, and using a glove box wiped down with alcohol would that be sufficient?

if need be, Ill spray the inside of the box with lysol, but I really would like to avoid spraying the room

any suggestions?
many thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: casing, grains, and a clean setup...??? [Re: cloudcity]
    #4552048 - 08/18/05 04:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

contams can follow you right to the grains if you are not careful, they (the contams) are not preferential to any one substrate. for the most part it has to deal with how you do all your procedures.

alternatives to lysol: there aren't any natural ones i know of. a 200 ppm bleach solution works great as a santizer, and the alcohol that you already mentioned. lysol does work great as an air sanitizer though, spray your area and then let it settle for a bit before you begin your work. no need to go hog wild with it neither.

make sure you work in an area that has little or better yet no air movement, clean yourself as well as the work area before and after you finish. of course i am really anal about keeping things clean and have been blessed with only a spot a green one time and i hope this record continues. yes i have had a few jars that have never colonized (no growth ever) but not one that has contamed.
best of luck
peace  :mushroom2:

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: casing, grains, and a clean setup...??? [Re: cloudcity]
    #4552084 - 08/18/05 04:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, you can mix bleach or alcohol in with your water in the spray bottle. I would also invest in a little hepa filter system if you don't want to use sprays. This helps get rid of most airborne contams. Funny that you don't like the smell of Lysol though. I think it's probably one of the better smells involved in this hobby compared to cooking WBS, pasturizing h/poo or the mushroom smell in general. Compared to those, Lysol is a breath of fresh air! LOL

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: casing, grains, and a clean setup...??? [Re: FooMan]
    #4552097 - 08/18/05 04:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

awww, foo the smell of shrooms is awesome bro. you really don't like the smell of the myc? love it love it love it.

yes definitely do invest in a hepa, they do work wonders for air quality in your work space.

peace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation