Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

interesting quotes about the human life
    #4551264 - 08/18/05 01:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

quotes from the book "To A Dancing God" by Sam Keen

"Hope, also, is dependent upon the We. If I choose to remain alone I minimize the flow of outgoing and incoming energy. I hoard my resources and calculate every expenditure. I sow no seeds which I will not harvest. I prepare for no future I will not share. I invest in no corporation which does not pay immediate dividends. Hope cannot live on such a hand-to-mouth basis. It demands a more generous and less calculating attitude. Only if I belong to a We which will eventually reap the fruits of my labors will I trouble myself to plant what I will not reap. My solitariness must be invested in a people. The energy of my body must flow into corporation. My love must be de-centralized; it must become political."

"I am so many, yet I may only be one. I mourn for all the selves I kill when I decide to be a single person. Decision is a cutting off, castration. I travel one path only by neglecting many. Actual existence is tragic, but fantastic existence (which evades choice and limitation) is pathetic."

Edited by Grav (08/18/05 01:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: interesting quotes about the human life [Re: Grav]
    #4551350 - 08/18/05 01:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

more from Keen:

Like most people, I had assumed I was a victim of emotions. Moods came and went like the wind, and the only course of wisdom was to relax and go with the feeling of the moment. I now think such a view was a subtle romantic ideology which relieved me of the responsibility for my style of life. It allowed me the luxury of being a victim of forces over which I supposedly had no control.
Of course there is no theoretical way of proving that I am free to choose the way I feel. But clearly, if I believe I am not responsible for my feelings, I will be unable to do anything to change them. And, contrariwise, if I assume I am responsible I cease to be a victim. Since the issue cannot be solved theoretically, it seems sensible to adopt the view of the emotions which promises the greatest freedom. I have no choice but to act as if I were responsible for my feelings if acting in this way allows me to change my feelings in a desired manner.
Let me be specific for years I struggled with a manic-depressive style of life. When I was elated I would work, love, and play with abandon and before long would exhaust my energies. Then I would suffer a season of dryness and disaffection. I assumed that this cycle of feelings was a part of the given structure of my personality type which could only be accepted. Wisdom required that I resign myself to fated patterns. I now believe this is wrong. A closer analysis of the manic-depressive cycle shows it is based upon the assumption that all good feelings must be paid for by an equal amount of bad feelings. This assumption, in turn, rests upon the judgement that I ought not to be too happy. There is something virtuous, desirable, or secure about suffering.
It is easy enough to see how such assumptions and judgments arise. They are deeply imbedded in the Protestant ethic and are reinforced by the extra-solicitous care we all receive as children when we are sick or feel bad. Feeling bad is an almost automatic way for a child to gain the caring attention of parents. Unfortunately many of us carry this self-defeating pattern into adult life and dignify the suffering we cause ourselves with religious, philosophical, or psychological theories about the nature of man which assure us that man is essentially estranged from himself. It is humna nature for man to be divided against himself.
I have a growing conviction that the Christian presence in Western civilization has prepetuated a disease in order to offer a cure."

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4551367 - 08/18/05 01:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Grav said:
quotes from the book "To A Dancing God" by Sam Keen

"Hope, also, is dependent upon the We.  If I choose to remain alone I minimize the flow of outgoing and incoming energy.  I hoard my resources and calculate every expenditure.  I sow no seeds which I will not harvest.  I prepare for no future I will not share.  I invest in no corporation which does not pay immediate dividends.  Hope cannot live on such a hand-to-mouth basis.  It demands a more generous and less calculating attitude.  Only if I belong to a We which will eventually reap the fruits of my labors will I trouble myself to plant what I will not reap.  My solitariness must be invested in a people.  The energy of my body must flow into corporation.  My love must be de-centralized; it must become political."

"I am so many, yet I may only be one.  I mourn for all the selves I kill when I decide to be a single person.  Decision is a cutting off, castration.  I travel one path only by neglecting many.  Actual existence is tragic, but fantastic existence (which evades choice and limitation) is pathetic."

I don't really buy this quote. :thumbdown:  Seems ignorant to me. Like he could ever know the life of another and if they find fulfillment alone.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4551374 - 08/18/05 01:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Grav said:
more from Keen:

Like most people, I had assumed I was a victim of emotions. Moods came and went like the wind, and the only course of wisdom was to relax and go with the feeling of the moment.  I now think such a view was a subtle romantic ideology which relieved me of the responsibility for my style of life.  It allowed me the luxury of being a victim of forces over which I supposedly had no control.
  Of course there is no theoretical way of proving that I am free to choose the way I feel.  But clearly, if I believe I am not responsible for my feelings, I will be unable to do anything to change them.  And, contrariwise, if I assume I am responsible I cease to be a victim.  Since the issue cannot be solved theoretically, it seems sensible to adopt the view of the emotions which promises the greatest freedom.  I have no choice but to act as if I were responsible for my feelings if acting in this way allows me to change my feelings in a desired manner.
  Let me be specific for years I struggled with a manic-depressive style of life.  When I was elated I would work, love, and play with abandon and before long would exhaust my energies.  Then I would suffer a season of dryness and disaffection.  I assumed that this cycle of feelings was a part of the given structure of my personality type which could only be accepted.  Wisdom required that I resign myself to fated patterns.  I now believe this is wrong.  A closer analysis of the manic-depressive cycle shows it is based upon the assumption that all good feelings must be paid for by an equal amount of bad feelings.  This assumption, in turn, rests upon the judgement that I ought not to be too happy.  There is something virtuous, desirable, or secure about suffering.
  It is easy enough to see how such assumptions and judgments arise.  They are deeply imbedded in the Protestant ethic and are reinforced by the extra-solicitous care we all receive as children when we are sick or feel bad.  Feeling bad is an almost automatic way for a child to gain the caring attention of parents.  Unfortunately many of us carry this self-defeating pattern into adult life and dignify the suffering we cause ourselves with religious, philosophical, or psychological theories about the nature of man which assure us that man is essentially estranged from himself.  It is humna nature for man to be divided against himself.
  I have a growing conviction that the Christian presence in Western civilization has prepetuated a disease in order to offer a cure."

Now this I really like. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology