Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Picking flush and removing exsiting hyphal knots
    #4541780 - 08/16/05 09:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

A questions for those who have a bit more expeirence than myself.

When i get a fairly decent first flush on my casing and it comes time to harvesting the fruits, i seem to find it almost impossible to remove all the shrooms plus the aborts without removin almost the whole top layer of the casing. I have no problem patchin this up and getin it to recolinise agian after a dunk but im worried in doing this that i am reducing the results for the followin flushes.

Atm i seem to get about 70-80% of my casings total output from the first flush with 3rd flushes only givin me a few shrooms (granted this is from BRF cakes with low amounts of nutes to start with).

Ive started to notice however that in situations where a section of the casing does not get many fruits developing past the the hyphal knot stage that when its repatched and stuck back into the FC that these hyphal knots are the first to turn into primordia and pins. Due to the headstart not many other new pins form.

I think i read soemwhere that hyphae said the original pinset will determine the results for all sequencial flushes. Does this mean that not many new hyphal knots will develop after the original pinset, so hence if i destroy the top layer of my casing when havesting and remove most of these in the process of removin aborts then i am unlikely to get a good 2nd flush, Or is it just that the majority of the mycs NRG is being used up in the big first flush and so has trouble producing many more shrooms?

Thanks for any replies.
Ben

PS. What extent do ppl go to removin aborts, like i try to remove even the most smallest of ones like 1mm big am i going overboard or is this the correct way to do it in order to prevent rotin and later contams...

Cheers

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Re: Picking flush and removing exsiting hyphal knots [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4543879 - 08/16/05 08:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Bump for the pros on the other side of the planet :laugh:

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

OfflineSillypcybin
Stranger
    #4544591 - 08/16/05 11:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that new pins (a lot of th etimes) come from damaged areas of the first flush.  For instance, lets say you rip a chunk of the csasing out with a stubborn mushroom, a lot of the time, a new pinset will form around the damaged area. 

When picking aborts, if it's too small for me to pluck up and the black little head crushes between my fingers, I just leave it.  Besides, it's more mycelial material that will be used when i throw the spent cake in the pile with the other spent cakes, case that and wait for another huge flush :laugh:  Usually this is done in the bottom of an empty kitty litter bucket.  Oh how I love those things.

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4546215 - 08/17/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well, when you harvest, especially when there are dense groupings of mushrooms, you're casing layer could/will look like the surface of the moon.

Do not worry about this. Just fill in the holes with more casing material and you will be fine. I pretty much grow off of coir now, and found that I had to adjust my coir/verm mixture a little so that it didn't fall apart as much, and the surface was stronger.

As far as aborts go, you do want to remove all of them. Leaving them will cause them to rot and cause contam, it will also effect your future flushes. I found that if aborts are left, IME, no new mushies will grow around them. For the really small ones, I usually sterilize some tweezers(sp) and pull them with that, then fill in the holes in the casing layer.

GL TO YA!

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Re: Picking flush and removing exsiting hyphal knots [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4546242 - 08/17/05 10:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanx for ya input

Quote:

when there are dense groupings of mushrooms, you're casing layer could/will look like the surface of the moon.

yep thats it :P

Quote:

I usually sterilize some tweezers(sp) and pull them with that, then fill in the holes in the casing layer.

Yer thats what im currently doing althought i dont sterilise them, find my casings to be pretty contam resistant

I know casings will still grow if u make it look like the moon but im wonderin if doing this and removin all the exisiting hyphal knots in the process is havin an inverse effect on the number of shrooms on sequencial flushes, do the majority of shrooms come from these hyphal knots created in the original pinset or will a completly new pinset be created in time for the 2nd flush. Just tryin to work out why i am getin killer first flushes and then crap flushes to follow. A lot of ppl been sayin thier 2nd flush as good if not better than first or is this more so when spawned to poo...

cheers agian

--------------------
Old Ben

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4550837 - 08/18/05 08:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BenKenobi said:
Thanx for ya input

Quote:

when there are dense groupings of mushrooms, you're casing layer could/will look like the surface of the moon.

yep thats it :P

Quote:

I usually sterilize some tweezers(sp) and pull them with that, then fill in the holes in the casing layer.

Yer thats what im currently doing althought i dont sterilise them, find my casings to be pretty contam resistant

I know casings will still grow if u make it look like the moon but im wonderin if doing this and removin all the exisiting hyphal knots in the process is havin an inverse effect on the number of shrooms on sequencial flushes, do the majority of shrooms come from these hyphal knots created in the original pinset or will a completly new pinset be created in time for the 2nd flush. Just tryin to work out why i am getin killer first flushes and then crap flushes to follow. A lot of ppl been sayin thier 2nd flush as good if not better than first or is this more so when spawned to poo...

cheers agian

well, I don't know about that. You should just pick the pins, leave any knots that are still there on the casing, you don't want to remove mycelium or knots, just mushies and aborts.

The first flush will always give you more mushrooms. The following flushes will give you less, but bigger mushrooms. After each flush, you will continue to get less, but bigger mushrooms. As far as size is concerned, yes, the 2nd flush on will give bigger mushrooms, but not a "better" yield. I don't know about people saying they get "more" from the second flush on, that doesn't seem right.

Usually by my 3rd to 4th flush I will have about 3-5 mushrooms, but they tend to be monsters compared to the first flush. I think maybe what you read were people talking about size and not yield. Every time I have grown that has been the case...less, but bigger mushies.

Anyone that says they get more of a yield on their second-fourth flush is Hadley believable to me. I would definitely have to see pics of that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix