Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineirie_rastafari
Stranger
Fruiting chamber design; will it work?
    #4546963 - 08/17/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Alrighty, i got my jars incubating...all 12 have growth and none contaminated so im building a second fruiting chamber that will hold more cakes. The first is a aquarium with a screen half way up with water in the lower half with bubble, the only flaw with this is when i lift the hood up water drips on to were the cakes will be held, so ill have to figure out a way to deal with that,

Now to the point, the second chamber is going to be a sterofoam box with a lid and perlite humidification, the only flaw i have with this design is lighting and temperature. Temp is around 68-70 is that alright???? Also for lighting i was planning on having a hole cut in the top that fits a flash light (in a hidden passage in my house, house was built in 1745 so alot of hidden passages) so there is no plug for other lights. Will having the flashlight on around 3 hours a day be signifagant enough for evaporation of water from the perlite...or should i think of another way or place that could get natural or floresent light????

sry for the long post
Irie Rastafari

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: Fruiting chamber design; will it work? [Re: irie_rastafari]
    #4547061 - 08/17/05 02:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

light has nothing to do with the perlite... light is a pinning trigger and that is all, the perlite will suffice on its own.

Do some reading and some searching.

I suppose that could work theoretically, longer light exposure will be needed. cut a big sqaure hole in the lid and duct tape a sqaure of plastic drop cloth over it for it seems your budget is limited. get a flouro 12hrson/12hrsoff or just put it somewhere where it will get natural light...

your temps need to go up about 4 degrees.

happy trails and GL to ya bro

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: Fruiting chamber design; will it work? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4547267 - 08/17/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

to get heat and light into your secret passages..try an extension cord.

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

Offlineirie_rastafari
Stranger
Re: Fruiting chamber design; will it work? [Re: Bamaman]
    #4547318 - 08/17/05 03:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

to get extension cords threw doors (well doors that look like walls) involves drilling which i dont want to do......so ur telling my light has nothing to do with perlite humidification, that doesn't make much sense cause the water isn't going to get suspended within the air with no light, without light the water will sit and not evaporate causing no increase in humidity....also my shrooms grow outside with temps dropping near 67 at night...so i figure in a chanmber it should be fine...i guess no one wants to help me work with what i have..ill figure it out anyway

Thanks
Brad

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4547335 - 08/17/05 04:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

irie_rastafari said:
to get extension cords threw doors (well doors that look like walls) involves drilling which i dont want to do......so ur telling my light has nothing to do with perlite humidification, that doesn't make much sense cause the water isn't going to get suspended within the air with no light, without light the water will sit and not evaporate causing no increase in humidity....also my shrooms grow outside with temps dropping near 67 at night...so i figure in a chanmber it should be fine...i guess no one wants to help me work with what i have..ill figure it out anyway

Thanks
Brad

im trying to help you man.. i dont spread wrong info. Perlite has nothing to do with light, you fill the water level half way up the perlite, the rest of the perlite wicks up the water...

here's an experiment for ya, set up an FC with perlite, put it in complete darkness, in 2 hours, go see how high the humidity is.

Im jsut trying to help you like i do everyone else.

you can also buy battery powered flouros. Im not saying that 68 wont work, you'll get a few mushies, but 74-77 is optimal.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

OfflineBoringNickName
Stranger
    #4547341 - 08/17/05 04:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

that doesn't make much sense cause the water isn't going to get suspended within the air with no light,

Yeah, it will.

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Fruiting chamber design; will it work? [Re: BoringNickName]
    #4547530 - 08/17/05 04:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

dude, me and everyone else on here will tell that  the light is to make the pins, without that it won't happen. Peralite by design releases the water it holds into the air on its own. FACT. we want everyone to have lots of nice mushies. also if this hidden passage you talk about is not very clean or has dirt floor anything like that i would recamend agenst useing it. Evrything MUST be clean for success! good luck :smile:

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

#4547553 - 08/17/05 04:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

if you can't find a gap small enough for an extension cord to run to your secret passage and you don't want to make a hole to for one....then i would suggest car battery along with a power inverter. carry the battery into the passage and you have portable electricity.

you can even buy dc(direct current) flourescent lights and heaters...that way you won't even need the inverter. dc appliaces can sometimes be found in the automotive sections of stores like wal-mart, or even many large truck stops carry a wider range of dc equipment for truckers.

--------------------

Offlineirie_rastafari
Stranger
    #4547603 - 08/17/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

why wouldn't i just use a flash light...its alot cheaper and i dont need to buy all that crap.....perlite isn't designed to release water into the air, it all has to do with evaporation....yes the water will get sucked to the perlite on top but wont get released into the air without evaporation...heat also can fuel evaporation thats why the humidity is higher in a dark box with perlite (compared to one without)...but who knows maybe my degree in organic chem and minor in agriculture are useless.....not trying to be an a*s, i do appreciate all the help..just trying to get this solved economically and efficiently (unfortunetly neither of those degrees bring in much money..yields not that important to me..i personally only use shrooms every few months..im more of ganja man myself (hence rasta...in my religion im technically not even suppose to be useing mushrooms...but the rules are losely written for jamaican rastas)...sry for the bad spelling

Thanks again,
Irie Rastafari

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

#4548976 - 08/17/05 09:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i am by no means an expert on growing(hell, i'm not even an amateur yet), but i do know how to get electricity where there is none.

You can buy a single plug power inverter at walmart(auto. dept.) for $9.97. An extra car battery you can probably borrow from a friend out of a car that is temporarily broken down or out of a boat that someone isn't currently using. i have only lived in my state for about ten monthes but i betcha' i could come home with five borrowed batteries tommorrow.

if the battery starts getting low on juice put it in your car and take the one from your car and put it in it's place. your car will recharge the low battery when it's running. and after a day or two of use you can swap them back.

as far as the flashlight goes, i am not sure what kind of light the shrooms will respond to. that may be why i hear so many say to get flourescent. a flashlight may simply not work. and even if it did, you still have the problem of getting heat to them.

i don't know the price of an aquarium heater but i suspect they aren't much either. you can try getting a mini 12v dc flourescent light, like i have, and you wouldn't need a separate single plug inverter, but could connect it straight to the battery. and use the single plug inverter for the heater only.

if it makes you feel any better a 350watt inverter can be bought for as little as $30 and can be very useful when not being used for your shrooms. every time a storm comes thru my area and knocks out the power i grab a battery out of one of my cars and hook it to my inverter and i can have lights and/or tv, dvd player, fan, etc... my whole neighborhood will have no power and be sitting in the dark, meanwhile i'm kicking back watching a dvd on my 27" tv. very useful indeed!

--------------------

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
    #4549138 - 08/17/05 09:53 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

if u use a flashlight buy a lot of batteries cause ull use em. a flashlight would work to help initiate pinning, but i would leave it on 10-12 hours a day.
no, you are correct, perlite is not designed to shoot a mist into the air. it wicks moisture to its surface and holds it up there for evaporation to do its work and get it into the air.

light, however, has nothing to do with evaporation or humidity. heat, like you said, has a lot to do with humidity. currently, ur 68-70 degree fruiting temps are a little low for optimum growth. sure, it would work a little, but i would recommend raising the temps by a couple degrees to 74-75. This will give ur mushrooms a good temperature in which to march to life, and also help ur water evaporate off the perlite and get into the air

the only purpose light serves is initiating pinning

also, how are you planning on doing ur air exchanges? are you going to fan manually or get a pump of sorts?

on top of perlite alone, you should either be misting the sides of ur fruiting chamber everyday or having humid air pumped in, like my beloved TropicAire does. look one of these up on petco or something, it works great in combination with a perlite fruiting chamber. perlite by itself probably will not keep the humidity high enough (but like i said before, light has absolutely nothing to do with this, regardless of your degree)

oh and don't worry about the mushrooms interfering with your religion. im sure you know as well as i do that there are no written rules in rastafarianism; thus no technicalities to dodge about the use of mushrooms.

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
    #4549179 - 08/17/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Besides, Im surprised nobody mentioned the fact that the batteries will die in a shorter amount of time than 12 hours. And light doesnt contribute that much to your humidity. Not in a enclosed enviroment. Come to Kentucky on a summer's night and youll be proven wrong. And the biggest points to be made here:

1: If you dont have the means, resources, and/or free space to grow them,DONT.

2: If you are toooooo prideful to listen to help given to you from people that GROW, then dont ask from the start.      :tongue:

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
Re: Fruiting chamber design; will it work? [Re: FungusMan]
    #4549353 - 08/17/05 10:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

oo kentucky...have you ever met the colonel?

i kinda implied that the batteries would die fast in my post when i said to buy a lot of them. i have seen flashlights that dont need batteries though...u just shake em and they light up. which i think is perfect for this guy. just shake it over the fruiting chamber for about 12 hours a day. yea, its a little bit of effort, but its cheap

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4549364 - 08/17/05 10:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

fungusman said: Come to Kentucky on a summer's night and youll be proven wrong.

i know what ya mean fungusman, i too, am from kentucky...lol :wink:

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: Fruiting chamber design; will it work? [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4549682 - 08/17/05 11:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hell yeah KINGFISH. you from the Ville too?

And my bad walkclothed. I didnt see that part of your post there.And yeah, I do think from the way it sounds that this guy would have more luck jacking off a flashlight, than growing edible and/or medicinal mushrooms.If you want quality anything, you have to spend a lil quality money.Good luck anyway. :lolz0rz:

Offlineirie_rastafari
Stranger
    #4550659 - 08/18/05 05:53 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the responce.....it will be easier to hide it somewhere near a plug....fortunetely i am working at an aquarium store and i get all the equipment i need free....so that way i wont have to buy anything.....im just going to fruit them around 70 degrees and see what happens....remember this is my second chamber and i already have a temp controlled one (dont feel like figuring out a way to get water in the chamber to put heater in)...on the battery being useful for other things...i already have a generator (have several thousands in saltwater fish in my house, that dont servive without power for more then a day)....thanks again for ur help...im still learning like u guys, and im new to growing mushrooms so all the help is very apriciated.

Irie Rastafari

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies