Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Ten things I like about Wanderlei Silva
    #4547219 - 08/17/05 03:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

First of all, Wanderlei Silva is a fighter who ?brings it?.

1.) I?ve never seen him throw a jab, feint or body blow. Every punch he releases is meant to hit you in the face as hard as it possibly can with no regard for getting hit in return. He?s basically gambling on his punches being harder than the other guy's; and they usually are [His trainer has said his punches are at the HW level, and Wanderlei is a middleweight]. Punches come from the hips and rotator cuff - look at the size of the mounds he has on his shoulders. And his notoriously vicious use of his knees is a whole ?nother story? You will have to see for yourself in the videos to come.

2) He doesn't go for boring decisions, they're not his "thing" and when they occur, it's usually because some lucky stiff managed to escape his wrath through a combination of mad scrambles and fortuitous near-misses. He does have a few submissions; and the highest knock out to win ratio of any fighter.

3) He does not relent, his striking power doesn't wane in latter rounds; and god forbid he notices that a single strike had any effect?  he knows how to seal the deal by pouring leather until his opponent is drooling face down on the mat.

4) He's the ultimate gladiator who has never tried to promote himself. No tapes, no line of vitamins, no self-certified training centers on the world. His only promotional products are those that pride contractually obligates him to commit to; not his own. He shows up, knocks world class fighters out, and licks his wounds like anyone else. Nothing fancy or technically sophisticated, no showmanship. Just superior training, stamina, pain tolerance, endurance, and sheer will power of the highest order.

5) He has won fights where he's blacked out! Usually, when a fighter gets hit enough to be cut wide open and obviously starts losing focus in his eye sight; that means a fat lady is stepping up to the mike. I?ve seen Silva win fights where his eyes are swollen to slits, he can barely stand, and he's covered in his own and his opponent?s blood. When you win a fight under those circumstances, any other match that doesn't go there seems soft and easy by comparison.

6) From an artistic stand point, he uses the mat as a canvas, his opponents for paint; and his knees, elbows, fists, and shins as brushes that vary from wide to thin. His style of human calligraphy is impeccable and I?ve seen him leave virtual rhor-schott patterns in blood before.

7) The stare. You?re fucking dead. He knows it, the crowd knows it; he makes his opponents feel like the butt of an inside joke that they're not in on just yet.

8) The way other fighters have ducked him and talk about him. People generally do not want to fight him, and those who have (Adrian Serrano) speak of the experience as you'd think a holocaust survivor would describe being in a concentration camp. There should be mandatory counseling and a support group for people that have fought him.

9) He's fought 6 Brazilian Jui Jitsu Black Belts [BJJ BB], a number of judoka and wrestlers, and he's never...AND THE ROCK MEANS EVER...been submitted by anyone. His only losses are KO's and split decisions. His takedown defense, sprawl, and undercooks are as good as any collegiate freestyler and his guard is competent enough to where he may not submit people with it; but he can avoid strikes, sweep people, and get back to his feet reliably. He?s learned enough BJJ to use it to his advantage and slaughter some of the best BJJ bb's in NHB/MMA.

10) He called Rickson Gracie out for being a liar and hiding behind a fictitious reputation, and challenged him like a man. [Not that I support nor disagree with his stance ? but to make such a claim in the MMA world is a very gutsy thing to do, considering Rickson?s legendary reputation and extreme popularity.]

Anyone who hasn't seen his Vale Tudo [Portuguese for ?No Rules?] fights just doesn't know. Pride does not allow elbows and head butts; which are bread and butter in Muay Thai. In those Brazilian matches, every fight is a fucking nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th affair; just gory. That?s Vale Tudo though...

?For Wanderlei, taking it easy on you means he doesn't go kill your family after he's knocked you out.? -Steven Quadros.

~Video Section~

Wanderlei Silva

Also known as "The Axe Murderer"

More Violence

Ah hell, here's another one for your viewing pleasure

:smile:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTYL3R
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Ten things I like about Wanderlei Silva [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4547222 - 08/17/05 03:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

obsessed are we ?

InvisibleTYL3R

#4547227 - 08/17/05 03:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

He looks like a helluva boxer. But a good martial artist could take him.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#4547233 - 08/17/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"The stare. You?re fucking dead."

The man is fuckin beast

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: Ten things I like about Wanderlei Silva [Re: TYL3R]
    #4547237 - 08/17/05 03:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TYL3R said:

no vey

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#4547248 - 08/17/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

4 years no loss...but can rua ruin that?

we shall see...this weekend :grin:

i like wanderlei too...

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#4547250 - 08/17/05 03:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

now write 10 things you like about fedor :p

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4547259 - 08/17/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TYL3R said:

:lolz0rz:
Your nescience must be rectified.

You have no clue.

He IS an MMA champion, y'know? And in PRIDE, no less.. which is THE MMA fighting league, period.

If you think he's a boxer and not a martial artist... you have alot to learn, young grasshopper.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleTYL3R

#4547269 - 08/17/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I just misread the first part of your article, i thought you meant he uses nothing but fist-to-face style.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4547396 - 08/17/05 04:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TYL3R said:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh, you misread it, okay nevermind.

Wandy is the MAN. He's SUPER NICE in person too, which is totally strange. He's cool with fans, not even arrogant.

Although I must say, he got owned by Mark Hunt. Seeing someone outpunching him was surreal.

I think he'll win the GP, and I think Alistair will beat Shogun via submission. He's a much different fighter than when he faced lil Nog.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: Ten things I like about Wanderlei Silva [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4547415 - 08/17/05 04:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

despite being the underdog..i'm going for overeem. that kid has some potential...plus he's a muay thai guy and everyone loves muay thai fighters :grin:

(which is one reason why silva kicks ass too)

god i love it when we talk about mma...especially about pride

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Ten things I like about Wanderlei Silva [Re: boO]
    #4547693 - 08/17/05 05:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Indeed.

It sucks because i don't KNOW of any MMA fans in the USA. It's so hard to find people who are into this stuff and can appreciate it to the depth that we do. Everyone around here thinks Boxing is the "top dawg" of violent sports, they have no idea.

Anyways, I am ALSO rooting for Overeem. I feel that he has undergone many ups and downs in his career, and that he has found some sort of newfound fortune which has carried him thus far.

Although my only regret is that I WISH I COULDA SEEN VITOR fight in more of the LHW matchups, ESPECIALLY a rematch with Wanderlei. THat would be the ultimate test to see if Wanderlei has truely evolved as a fighter.

ANyhow, it SUCKS to live in the States, because we have to wait a WHOLE WEEK for the Pride ppv's to show. I never ever get to see a fight LIVE where I don't already know the results. It's torturing at times.

Especially this upcoming Final Conflict, it has the potential to be the BIGGEST MMA event to ever go down in history.

Hey, didja know Josh Barnett has been slated to fight in Pride again? Sometime in October I believe. They want him to rematch Cro-cop.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4547709 - 08/17/05 05:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Silva is a badass motherfucker

Bruce Lee could have taken him though

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#4547730 - 08/17/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, and as for Wanderlei caling out RIckson, I do stand by wanderlei.

I mean, Rickson's definitely a legend in the world of MMA, but he talks too big for someone who only fought Nobuhiko Takada twice in Pride. He has no right to criticize Antonio Rodrigo Nogeira's gaurd. ANd I know he would get OWNED if he stepped into the ring with Wanderlei.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4547738 - 08/17/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You're talking about Rickson Gracie?

The dude retired UNDEFEATED in MMA - over 400 fights.
How can he talk too big?
He has every right to criticize whoever he wants.

Silva is a badass.. but his record is what? 29 - 4 - 1
Rickson was - 470 - 0 - 0

Dont know what it is now.. is he still fighting? Havent been keeping up

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Ten things I like about Wanderlei Silva [Re: Shroomism]
    #4547772 - 08/17/05 05:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

His 400-plus wins aren't in MMA fights.

They're in brazilian jiu jitsu competitions. Of course he's the GAWD of BJJ, no doubt. THe guy lines up BJJ blackbelts and taps them out one by one.

In MMA, Rickson is only 9-0 (or 8-0). ALthough he has also fought many underground no-holds-bar competitions from people who have challenged his family/academy.

He hasn't fought since 2000, when he submitted Masakatsu Funaki. He says he wants to fight again, despite being something like 45-46 years old.

He's spent the majority of time in his academy in Southern California, teaching students and such.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4547825 - 08/17/05 05:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I studied at one of the Gracie academies in Alexandria, Va in 2002.
Actually it was just a gym, but that's where they trained 
Royce would come in every 6 months and you had to fight him
If he noticed improvement you got your new belt, or a stripe
'improvement' meant lasting more than 5-10 seconds with him :grin:
Dude put a big hurtin on me the first time I 'sparred' with him
Almost broke my arm off.. but I got better
Though I quit after I got my blue belt 1 stripe

Anyway.. much better ranking system than bullshit karate or tae kwon do, etc.. where you just pay money to take some lame test to get your belt. Any fool who can memorize a couple forms can get a black belt in karate. It takes skill to advance in Jiu Jitsu.

I love the MMA though. That's why I also studied Chin Na and Wing Chun Gong Fu... not exactly your standard combination.. but very effective. My friend actually got me into jiu jitsu because he wanted me to help him train for UFC.. he was pretty hardcore. Haven't talked to him in a while though, bet he's got his black belt in jiu jitsu by now. He was also studying krav maga at the same place, and doing a lot of qi gong and wing chun on his own.

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Ten things I like about Wanderlei Silva [Re: Shroomism]
    #4548041 - 08/17/05 06:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I've always wanted to train in BJJ.  I went to a Rickson Gracie seminar in San Fran and took summer lessons at the Machado Dojo in Pasadena, no belts though.

I took Tae Kwon Do lessons from my dad (he's old school Second Degree) and earned my junior black belt from little kid competitions in Korea.  I also learned Judo for about 6 years, getting my brown belt.

I think it's unfortunate that systems like Karate and Tae Kwon Do have become so commercialized.  Because back in the day, you had to EARN those belts just like how BJJ is today, based on skill, not longevity.

Things have changed alot, for instance, Tae Kwon Do, used to only have white, blue, red, and black belts, but new colors have been added so people can make money off of teaching lessons.  It's somewhat of a disgrace, my dad always complains about it.

I really want to learn some form of complex stand-up.  Tae Kwon do was nice, but the kicks used are somewhat unpractical.  I want to learn either Kempo or Thai boxing.  That'd kick ass. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4548069 - 08/17/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

UFC is awesome. I love it.

Silva is interesting, but I find the Dragonball Z guy more entertaining. It's funny watching him get out of all the shit his opponents put him in, like some little scurrying mouse.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4548081 - 08/17/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmock said:
I really want to learn some form of complex stand-up.  Tae Kwon do was nice, but the kicks used are somewhat unpractical.  I want to learn either Kempo or Thai boxing.  That'd kick ass. :thumbup:

Thai Boxing is good.. I would also highly recommend Wing Chun.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order