Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegordita
Stranger
crumbling cakes, casing misc.
    #4544544 - 08/16/05 11:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hello shroomerites:

i made a second batch of jars using the PF tek, brazilian strain they all colonized beautifully. i would like to try my hand at casing with a few of these cakes so i can get the hang of it while my jars of WBS are colonizing as well. however i have no experience with this and need some advice.

the two PF cakes i am using to start this experiment were fully colonized on the outside, and allowed to sit in my incubator for about another 5 days to make sure the inside was colonized too.
when i broke them open, i found that the inside was not nearly as white as the outside, although there was clearly mycelium growing throughout the whole cake.

my question: is this normal, or should the mycelium be as thick as the outside of the cake on the inside?

Also, i tried to be creative and made a miniture version of the double tub setup. basically its two clear tubs, 8"wide, 12" long and 6" tall, inverted on one another, just like the double tub setup, only smaller, same holes etc etc. i figured i would spready my colonized substrate on the bottom of one of the tubs and apply a casing layer (50/50 verm/peat) over the top to see how it works.

question 2: any forseeable problems with this double tub setup? it may not work, but i will try it anyway.

sorry i have no pics, my camera decided to have a bad attitude as of late.

Thanks for your time.
gordita

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: crumbling cakes, casing misc. [Re: gordita]
    #4544610 - 08/16/05 11:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

myc should be thick throughout, you'll risk contamination if not so. But you've already busted them up, so go witht the flow.
The double tub sound good, just make sure that they are very clean and sterilized before using, also I don't recommend using clear containers as this might result in aborts in and around the bottom and sides of the casing. You can remedy this with your setup by wrapping the bottom tub with aluminum foil (also sterilized). I like to slice my cakes instead of crumbling them (especially if using bulk substrate the slice and layer technique is particularly effective), I've noticed this result in a more even flush, just make sure you use a sharp sterilized knife. Also, try putting some casing material on the container as well.

Good luck :grin:

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinegordita
Stranger
Re: crumbling cakes, casing misc. [Re: soochi]
    #4547306 - 08/17/05 03:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

right on, thanks for the advice. anybody else have any suggestions, criticizms etc?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate