Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Painting a car
    #4544405 - 08/17/05 12:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm painting my car (probably with spray paint) and was wondering how to go about doing it? I have no experience with spray painting, so even the most basic tips will be helpful!

Also, if you have any designs, I'm donating a door to the Shroomery:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4544256/an/0/page/0

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Painting a car [Re: dblaney]
    #4547319 - 08/17/05 05:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

First step is a mega pain in the ass. You want to sand it all down. Now depending on how involved you intend to get, you may want to take parts off(doors, trunk, hood). Whatever you do, sand it real good(~80 grit), then wipe it down to get all the dirt and grit off. It may be prudent to use a cellulose thinner to aide in cleaning. Then primer it. Then paint it. Then clear coat it. For those three steps, spray even, steady strokes. Move with the same speed over the whole area. Keep the can about 8"-12" away and don't go too slow(to avoid runs). Also, primer coats should be allowed to dry for 30-45 minutes. And go ahead and put as many coats on as you want. Light coats will help keep the paint from running.

Oh yea, remember to tape off anything that you do not want painted. Cover your windows with newspaper and tape around the edges. Tires probably should be covered.

This is just a quick guide. I HIGHLY recommend doing some searching and reading on the subject.

Remember to take a lot of pictures too. Before, during, after. It's always good fun to look back on a project like this. Best of luck!

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

Re: Painting a car [Re: daimyo]
    #4547348 - 08/17/05 06:08 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Use a lot of tape, think stencils. I painted the firebird on my dodge caravan. Its about the coolest thing ever.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4547455 - 08/17/05 06:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Is sanding and priming absolutely necessary? I don't intend to do a professional job. I got an abrasive pad to help the paint adhere, and after that the paint itself says it's supposed to stick and resist corrosion, weather, etc.

I'm just going to be spraying on designs and colors. I suppose I ought to topcoat it, but the cheapest stuff I could find was like $20/bottle, and the salesman said I would need like 10 bottles for one car.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Painting a car [Re: dblaney]
    #4547841 - 08/17/05 07:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You can do it however you like. Cleaning remains very important though. Grease, oil, and dirt WILL fuck up a paint job no matter what the can says.
Also, do not skimp on taping. Tape off all important areas, and by all means, lay out some designs with a thin painters tape. When you finish applying your final coat, you will want to wait ~20 minutes and remove the tape. If you allow the paint to dry completely before removing the tape, there is a chance that the paint will crack off leaving you with a nasty ragged edge.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

#4547989 - 08/17/05 08:23 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i just added a bunch to the other thread....

:thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media