Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

Getting my setup ready
    #4544255 - 08/16/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hello everyone,

I apologize if I sound like a dumbass with any questions. I feel like I have read most of the teks that I can find. I don't know if there is a tek designed for exactly what I'm doing. Feel free to make suggestions or point me to things to read.

I started my quest last week for things I need and as of today, I have the following:

- 8 qt pressure cooker
- food dehydrator
- 12 500ml (1/2qt) mason jars
- 189L black rubbermaid bin w/ lid
- 20L vermiculite
- 2 blocks of bed a beast (coco coir)
- 3 12qt plastic trays
- 3lb crushed oyster shells
- 10kg Wild Bird Seed
- Spray bottle
- 99% alcohol

Things I plan to order still:
- 5 kg perlite
- tyvek filters
- spore syringes
- tenn stud horse poo

So where I need help is just to understand what exactly is necessary. Between all the teks, I see certain things being done in some but not in others. The following is my plan and I need help revising it.

The wild bird seed mix (does it matter which kind?) will be sterilized and prepared using the following tek: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23619 . I will also inoculate according to this procedure. I plan to store the jars in the smaller plastic trays (is it ok to put them on their side). My house is hot so I have no real need for an incubator but I will place on top of my computer to provide some extra heat. Once the jars appear colonized on the outside, I will allow a few more days just to ensure full colonization. During the colonization period, I will do an occasional shake of the jar. I plan to inoculate 6 jars total

At this point, I will wipe down the 12qt bins with alcohol or bleach solution and then break up the inoculated birdseed and put 2 jars worth into each of the the containers. I will then add prepasturized horsepoo and mix everything up evenly. Next, the containers will be covered with plastic wrap with holes and put into the big black bin to colonize. I've read that colonizing horsepoo emits a fair amount of heat. Would further heating be neccessary?

Once the tubs are fully colonized, guides will be placed to down for applying a casing of 50/45/5 verm/coir/crushed oyster shell. Obviously, I plan to sterilize this first.

At this point I get confused. I want to put the trays back into the big black rubbermaid container to fruit
- Should I cold shock the trays for 24 hrs?
- If not, will a simple fanning be enough to drop the temperature 10 degrees?
- Will this fan provide adequate air exchange?
- Will a simple misting with a spray bottle suffice for humidity?
- If not, should I use the perlite in the bottom of the large container?

Sorry if this is a lot of questions but this is my first try and I'd like to get things straightened out before I waste time and money due to carelessness.

Any links or suggestions will be grateful

Thanks!

-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting my setup ready [Re: johnjohnandjamal]
    #4544307 - 08/16/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

- Should I cold shock the trays for 24 hrs? No need to.

- If not, will a simple fanning be enough to drop the temperature 10 degrees? That depends on a lot of things, I dought if fanning alone will handle the temps

- Will this fan provide adequate air exchange? Do it at least 3 times a day

- Will a simple misting with a spray bottle suffice for humidity?
- If not, should I use the perlite in the bottom of the large container? Your gonna have to mist the casings once and a while anyway. Use the perlite to be safe, it's cheap better safe then sorry.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

Re: Getting my setup ready [Re: Magash]
    #4544342 - 08/16/05 10:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ok so dropping the temperature 10F is going to be a problem? Any suggestions for hitting the lower temperature?

OfflineSillypcybin
Stranger
Re: Getting my setup ready [Re: johnjohnandjamal]
    #4544479 - 08/16/05 10:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You can do wild bird seed with that tek or you can do rye or wheat berries with the same tek.  Ive been using both rye and wheat berries for a long time and they work flawlessly.  In my town I can get the stuff for as low as 39 cents per pound at the local co-op.  I can fill mucho jars with the stuff :smile: Just have to remember to drain well with any of these substrates or you get bacteria growth during incubation.

Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

Re: Getting my setup ready [Re: Sillypcybin]
    #4545713 - 08/17/05 04:54 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the tip. I will also try rye in the near future. Is it as good as WBS or better?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags