Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinehAzzBEEn
Stranger

the 20mL that sucked
    #4542800 - 08/16/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I have grown many crops using the PF Tek and the PF syringes ordered from PF while still in business (this was all several years ago). I ordered and tried out the SP20 kit under the same conditions. It was pretty much a terrible experience. The few shrooms that were harvested were good, but most of the cakes didn't fruit what-so-ever.

The substrate was PF tek cakes w/ brown rice flour. The chamber was constructed out of rubber made tub with a plexiglass window on top. It was Humidified by a spray bottle twice per day + pearlite humidification. Everything looked great throughout the process except for the fruiting.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed and gave up on the growing efforts. With the PF strain, there was always massive fruiting under the exact same conditions. The only difference were the brands of vermiculite and flour used. The exact same tubs/humidification/etc. were used.

From 22 cakes, there were only enough mushrooms for 2 good experiences. They weren't weighed dry because they were so slow fruiting that they were consumed wet when there were enough.

Has anyone had good luck with this strain? Is the PF tek adequate for this strain? Does it have any special needs.

On the good side, it was professionally packaged and very sterile. That doesn't say much if it is poor at fruiting.

-hAzzBEEn-

--------------------
-hAzzBEEn-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: the 20mL that sucked [Re: hAzzBEEn]
    #4542963 - 08/16/05 04:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

why 20ml? :confused:

22cakes? dizam., want brand of brown rice did you use? ive heard that some have fungicides..

i use Uncle bens. and Mahanta(spelling????) brwon rice and have had deceent results. What was the temp in the fruiting chamber?
next time try casing. its really not as hard as it sounds, and try to used dried horse poo like.. www.tennstud.com

aslo, the verm that is really fine isnt as good as the more chunky kind(differnt brands might have differnt sizes?) IMO

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: the 20mL that sucked [Re: hAzzBEEn]
    #4542987 - 08/16/05 04:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

not familliar with the sp20 kit but kits suck and since you know the PF tek and
have good flushes with it you should stick with that or move on to grains

you never mentioned a strain other than PF classic

OfflinehAzzBEEn
Stranger

Re: the 20mL that sucked [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4543027 - 08/16/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I guess I left a few points out...

The 20 mL SP20 kit was used to inoculate 26 cakes. Four of the cakes were saved for cloning, later. I never cloned them because the strain seemed lame. I only chose this kit because of the great marketing (advertising) done by the company. It has been 3 or 4 years since I've grown any shrooms, too. I just thought this 20 mL syringe was the new thing. I guess I should have shopped around more, first.

The SP20 was just a 20 mL syringe with some alcohol wipes, etc. I don't know why they called it a "kit". I guess because it came with a syringe and the innoculant was in a vile. I was impressed with kit when I recieved it, and was happy up to the point of fruiting. It was much overpriced though. I could have probably bought 2-3 10 mL syringes for the same price.

I used PF tek as described. I can safely assume there was no fungicide in the BRF (brown rice flour) because the cakes colonized well. I actually semi-cased several of the cakes to experiment with the strain. By semi-case, I mean that I caked moist vermiculite on the outside of the cake and kept it moist throughout the process. That helped the yield when I did this in the past. Things may have changed drastically since then; I don't know. Some of the semi-cased cakes did fruit first.

About the strains. I mostly grew the PF Classic. I did that for several years with booming success. I tried the Treasure Coast, too (PF only offered 4 strains when I was ordering), but they were much slower with very little improvement of quality.

Well, thanks for the input. I should probably just try the whole thing again with a different strain for comparison.

-hAzzBEEn-

Edited by hAzzBEEn (08/16/05 04:41 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures