Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNOFINGA911
Stranger
 User Gallery
Ok I just finished my first casing.......
    #4542615 - 08/16/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I just finsished my first casing but I didn't have enough substrate to cover the entire layer of verm. ....actually the substrate was pretty spread out (I used 1 colonized 1/2 pint jar..thought it would be enough) I proceeded anyway. How will this effect my results?
And can someone please tell me why everytime im around my colonizing jars my throught swells up????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ok I just finished my first casing....... [Re: NOFINGA911]
    #4542752 - 08/16/05 02:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

it should be the other way around, cover the substrater with verm/coir or verm/peat

Quote:

And can someone please tell me why everytime im around my colonizing jars my throught swells up????

excitment?

OfflineNOFINGA911
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Ok I just finished my first casing....... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4542767 - 08/16/05 02:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

naa i put verm on the bottom and then substrate and then covered it with coir mixture....lol excitment...for real yo my throught gets all swollen

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4542777 - 08/16/05 02:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

it's better to not use a bottom layer, it could oversaturate your substrate

as for the swelling in your throat, is there any sort of unusualy or musty smells

OfflineNOFINGA911
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Ok I just finished my first casing....... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4542779 - 08/16/05 02:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

no, no smell....allergic?

OfflineJabberw0cky
Misanthropist

Loc: Colorado - The asshole of...
    #4542844 - 08/16/05 03:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, it's best to put Vermiculite under your colonized myc, and then put the substrate over it. You did it fine. Don't listen to him.
But as for it being thin... You should have covered it with perfeated saran wrap and put it in the dark before adding substrate to make sure the myc continues growing.
I think all you really can do is just try doing a scratching with a sterilized fork to check growth, or just wait it out and see what happens.
-Jabber

--------------------
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.
Once upon a looking glass...

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Ok I just finished my first casing....... [Re: Jabberw0cky]
    #4542902 - 08/16/05 03:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

absolutely under no circumstances should you listen to anything that jabber just said. everything he said is way off base.
and jabber i think pris is right on the money here, so you should think about what you are doing if this is how you conduct your operation.

as far as what kind of results you will get, the thicker the substrate the better the shroom. with that thin of a substrate layer you will get some but they may not get very big or you may get only a few big ones.

peace

OfflineNOFINGA911
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Ok I just finished my first casing....... [Re: backupwards]
    #4542912 - 08/16/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

ok thanks alot back

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #4543907 - 08/16/05 08:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I just finsished my first casing but I didn't have enough substrate to cover the entire layer of verm. ....actually the substrate was pretty spread out (I used 1 colonized 1/2 pint jar..thought it would be enough) I proceeded anyway. How will this effect my results?

Youll get some pretty small shrooms i suspect with a sub layer so thin it didnt even cover the container, best to wait till u got more next time or find a smaller casing container :wink:

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ok I just finished my first casing....... [Re: backupwards]
    #4544549 - 08/16/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

backupwards said:
absolutely under no circumstances should you listen to anything that jabber just said. everything he said is way off base.
and jabber i think pris is right on the money here, so you should think about what you are doing if this is how you conduct your operation.

:thumbup:  this guy gives info that is terrible.  It is something to note that the bottom casing layer is optional and more of a preference.  The main reason to avoid it is as pris said oversaturation.  There are also possible contam issues as well since you cant see whats going on in the bottom.  A nice moist casing layer on top, along with a pre dunked substrate layer (im assuming you dunked your substrate before casing right?) will provide adequate moisture.  Good luck, after i finished my first casing i will never ever go back to fruiting cakes again.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix