Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Glovebox ?s
    #4541762 - 08/16/05 09:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure there needs to be some sort of contam protection while making syringes, innoculating jars, birthing cakes into casings, etc. but is a glovebox really going to help with sterility that much? I found one here http://mycosupply.com/portable_glove_box/ that would be pretty kick ass I bet and I'm willing to spend the $350 if I have to in order to prevent contams. But is it really necessary? I mean, aren't there going to be contams in the glovebox when I put my casing trays, jars, syringes, etc. in there from the outside air anyway? I guess I don't fully understand how it works or something because it seems to me that "things from the outside" are going to get in there no matter what. I know that using a HEPA purifier with it would help greatly but I'm concerned about the stuff on the materials before I place them inside the box. Should I wipe everything down with alcohol real quick and then put them in the box quickly afterwards?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Glovebox ?s [Re: llopez00]
    #4541801 - 08/16/05 09:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I havent got a single contam to date although i have not been doing this for that long. I do all my work up until the point of casing inside a glovebox, this glove box is sprayed down with alcohol prior to use so any badies in there hopefully removed as well as a quick wipe of the things im placin inside there, like lighters jars etc..
Im constantly see'n posts with ppl getin contams i can only assume they are not quite so anal with being sterile, most likely workin in open air and tryin not to sneeze to much :P
I certianly wouldnt go spendin $350 on a glovebox, a rubbermain with a window on top is all you need but yes i would say it is necesary unless u have a sterile lab handy.

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Glovebox ?s [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4541831 - 08/16/05 10:00 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Good deal. I just searched and read a post where some guy used a large cardboard box with the clear side being plastic wrap to replace the top of the box. He simply cut two holes in the plastic wrap for his hands, sprayed the inside with lysol, wiped down everything to be put inside with alcohol, washed his hands really well, then put everything inside and went to work. Bare hands and all and it apparently worked for him. What I may do though is use the plastic wrap as a window and cut the holes in the actual cardboard for durability purposes. Then the bottom (back now) of the box will be used for inserting jars, syringes, etc. and then tape to secure it closed until I'm ready to remove everything.

One other thing: as long as everything is protected inside the jars, containers, etc. is it okay to put them in the box, close it, and then spray lysol before working?

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

#4541899 - 08/16/05 10:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No need to soak the stuff in lysol just a quick wipe, provided your in a reasonably clean room with not much air flow u can leave ya lid off while ya stick ya stuff in. Id prefer a rubbermian over a carboard box, easier to spray the sides and wipe it dry and lot more durable.

And yer i stick my bare hands into those two holes after i wiped them down with alcohol

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
    #4541928 - 08/16/05 10:42 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds good. I'll have two HEPA purifiers running in the room at the same time so I should be okay. Now that I think about it there is a very large rubbermaid type container at my local store for like $10 that I can buy. Then I'll just do what you did and cut holes in it. With this one I should be able to put my substrate jars, casing material and a casing tray or two in it with lots of room left over. Thanks for the inspiration.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4541958 - 08/16/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You can always put all of your supplies in the glove box along with the Lysol and then spray inside the box, let it settle and then go to work.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4541961 - 08/16/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Ben, are those openings on the sides of you box, or just extra paint/tape? I'm not talking about the arm holes, lol.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Glovebox ?s [Re: FooMan]
    #4541969 - 08/16/05 10:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thats what I was thinking too. I could rub the glove box down with alcohol, rub the items to be placed inside with alcohol, place them inside, close the lid, then spray lysol through the holes. Let it sit for a few minutes, wash my hands well and then I should be good to go. Something tells me that I might not want to spray my empty casing trays with lysol though. Would an alcohol rub be enough for those? They're just your standard, flimsy, tin foil baking trays.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4542499 - 08/16/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

for $350.00 you would be better off getting a flowhood.

or you could make a still air glove box for less than $50.00

here is mine...

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4359637/an/0/page/0

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinellopez00
Stranger
Re: Glovebox ?s [Re: Roadkill]
    #4542552 - 08/16/05 01:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, that one looks cool too.

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Re: Glovebox ?s [Re: FooMan]
    #4543896 - 08/16/05 08:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Hey Ben, are those openings on the sides of you box, or just extra paint/tape? I'm not talking about the arm holes, lol.

Lol nar i originally made the holes on the sides thinkin that would be the best but after feelin like an unco and getin a sore back i decided to move the holes to the front and taped up the sides....

--------------------
Old Ben

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
    #4544420 - 08/16/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Or you can make a super duper psychedelic shroom box like mine :crazy2:.  It includes a staging chamber for sterilizing objects before they enter the work area...Although I'm not sure how well it works yet, hehehe.  I've got some movin' to do first. So I'm just biased until the results are in.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4537664/page//fpart/1/vc/1

Although, chances are I've completely overcomplicated things and a $50 cheapie will work as well... Then again maybe I'll be able to do everything a flow hood can do for less.  I'll let you know when I get it worked out. :wink:

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates