Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion >> Drug Policy Reform

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Drug War Boosts Crime, Experts Say
    #4541708 - 08/16/05 11:11 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Drug War Boosts Crime, Experts Say
Transcript to Drug War Crimes Forum Now Available

At a recent Independent Institute Policy Forum, entitled ?Drug War Crimes,? three distinguished panelists discussed the negative effects of the Drug War in expanding violent crime, causing law-enforcement corruption, and attacking fundamental American liberties. A transcript of their presentations is now available at http://www.independent.org/tii/forums/040506ipfTrans.html

Boston University Economics Professor Jeffrey Miron, author of the new book, also titled DRUG WAR CRIMES, argued that the War on Drugs has had multiple perilous effects. Far from reducing crime, the Drug War ?creates violence, because the participants in a black market cannot resolve their disputes using lawyers, and arbitration systems, and judges. They have to resort to guns, or knives, and other forms of violence, because they don?t have access to the non-violent legal dispute resolution system.?

Drug prohibition also causes a ?reduced respect for the law,? said Miron. Although some believe that prohibition makes ?a moral statement? against drugs, the Drug War is ?far more immoral than legalization and drug use, because it has enormous effects, which negatively impact innocent bystanders.?

Miron concluded the Drug War is an utter failure. Although the ?U.S. government spends over $30 billion dollars on the war on drugs, and arrests more than 1.5 million people annually,? demand is only marginally decreased; many people ?buy and use drugs every day,? and ?drug prices have fallen by a factor of about 80 percent.?

The second panelist, former San Jose and Kansas City Chief of Police Joseph D. McNamara, added another perspective, providing first-hand accounts from his experience on the front lines as to how drug prohibition reinforces a corrupt ?police culture? of ?gangster cops.? Desensitized by the violence they?re exposed to daily, pressured to make large numbers of arrests, and confronted with the futility of their mission, police lose respect for the rule of law, such that the ?Constitution is not seen as a glorious document that established unique Civil Rights in the history of civilization, [but instead] as an obstacle that they have to get around to do their job.?

McNamara declared that ?for the first 140 years of this Republic, your right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness included the right to use any substance that you wanted, and to sell it.?

Rounding out the panel, Ethan Nadelmann, Founder and Executive Director of the Drug Policy Alliance, reflected on how he came to his conclusions about the Drug War, and explored various drug policy options. While stopping short of advocating the outright, full legalization that Miron favored, Nadelmann relayed his attempts to find a compromise between a ?total free market in drugs? and prohibition, so as to ?try to take these two models, and stretch them together, and see if we could get right in the middle and figure out that optimal policy in the end.? This compromise, often called ?harm reduction,? would employ such policies as ?decriminalization, and needles, and methadone programs, and heroin maintenance,? as well as ?additional control . . . to reduce the harms of drugs? in an effort to ?gut prohibition on the one hand, but also respect [public health] concerns.?

Nadelmann concluded by asking the audience to ?decide that this is going to be a priority issue.?

The transcript of ?Drug War Crimes,? featuring Jeffrey Miron, Robert McNamara and Ethan Nadelmann

Order DRUG WAR CRIMES: The Consequences of Prohibition, by Jeffrey Miron

http://www.independent.org/publications/the_lighthouse/detail.asp?id=18

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineD00B
Stranger

Re: Drug War Boosts Crime, Experts Say [Re: LSDempire]
    #4546538 - 08/17/05 01:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I believe with this whole heartedly....

I think the best way to deal with a drug problem is education and support...

All that $30 billion dollars used in the drug war should go to better staffing and medical support in rehabilitation centers....Also more on research as to why these people choose to use some of these harder drugs...

Certain drugs are good if the positive effects out weigh the negative. Most of the drugs that are used today that can be taken by prescription, some of them cause more harm then good...for example anti-depssion meds. Theyv'e found out theres a higher percentage to become more depressed and suicidal when using them...Big pharmaceuticals are just as bad as your neighborhood dealer, it's all about making that money. But hey at least least some dealer's care for their customers!

If there's a demand for a drug, it will become available and sold...

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #4546600 - 08/17/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Will a mod move this #284th preach-to-the-choir thread of LSDEmpire's to the Drug War Arena?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4546602 - 08/17/05 02:22 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Gee...none of this ever occured to me.

:rolleyes: maybe these guys will help some, i doubt it though.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4546666 - 08/17/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You sure have a one-track mind, don't you?

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Drug War Boosts Crime, Experts Say [Re: Redstorm]
    #4546743 - 08/17/05 03:05 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

bush knew the drug war was a farce.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Drug War Boosts Crime, Experts Say [Re: afoaf]
    #4547431 - 08/17/05 06:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The shitty ironic thing is that america spends as much money on their 'war on drugs (aka marijuana)' and what we pump out of bc is about the same. We make billions of dollars off our bud, and bush is putting billions into the dea and other bullshit. Meant to be taken with a grain of salt, but taking that out of consideration this is totally bogus. Absolutely no progession in this battle. It's doing us all worse, and some of us don't even live in the states.

I wish Canada wasn't in such a shitty position. If we legalized bud or went any more lax on our drug laws, and more particularly the actual punishments we get... yikes. We'd be fucked.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Drug War Boosts Crime, Experts Say [Re: Redstorm]
    #4593019 - 08/29/05 12:27 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
You sure have a one-track mind, don't you?

Who are you talking to?

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Drug War Boosts Crime, Experts Say [Re: Tao]
    #4593030 - 08/29/05 12:29 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Tao said:
Will a mod move this #284th preach-to-the-choir thread of LSDEmpire's to the Drug War Arena?

I always get shit from the same few people, the war on drugs is political. Moving all drug war material out of the political arena and into this sub arena is kind of pointless.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4593863 - 08/29/05 02:37 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

This is just a fact, if you have a problem with the fact that I am stating the facts you can leave.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion >> Drug Policy Reform