Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Bush administration rewarded the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium crop!
    #4541561 - 08/16/05 10:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The Taliban government was officially recognized by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Pakistan.

There's nothing wrong with those on the Left congratulating themselves on having gotten a thing or two right these days. Lord and Lady know, the Bushites do it all the time, even when they're obviously, disastrously wrong. Thus, I cheered when, in a recent column, Robert Scheer gave himself a well-deserved pat on the back for having "blasted the Bush administration for rewarding the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium cropfive months before 9/11." I remember Scheer's May 15, 2001 piece, mainly because it got me so steamed up that I made the Bush-Taliban drug deal the focus of my next show's opening monologue. Digging into my archives for May 26, 2001, I discovered that I also deserve a small back-pat, having presciently awarded the "Boobie Prize" (a bronze Heilman-C stick figurine with gigantic breasts) to both the Taliban and the Bushites. Here's the transcript:

"The first Boobie Prize of the Week goes to the Taliban of Afghanistan, this time for forcing Hindus to wear ID labels, kind of like the Nazis made the Jews wear Yellow Stars. This, in addition to enslaving their women, harboring anti-US terrorists like Osama bin Laden, blowing up priceless historic art like the Bamian Buddhas, chopping off the clitorises of their little girls & chopping off the heads of their prostitutes.

http://counterpunch.org/block04212004.html
http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11538
http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11543
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4541293&page=0&vc=#Post4541293
Should George Bush be put to death for supporting and funding terror?
You may choose only one
Yes
No

Votes accepted from (08/16/05 10:21 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Bush administration rewarded the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium crop! [Re: LSDempire]
    #4541565 - 08/16/05 10:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

How Washington Funded the Taliban
by Ted Galen Carpenter Wednesday, Dec. 03, 2003 at 7:21 PM

The United States has made common cause with an assortment of dubious regimes around the world to wage the war on drugs. Perhaps the most shocking example was Washington's decision in May 2001 to financially reward Afghanistan's infamous Taliban government for its edict ordering a halt to the cultivation of opium poppies.

When the Taliban implemented a ban on opium cultivation in early 2001, U.S. officials were most complimentary. James P. Callahan, director of Asian Affairs for the State Department's Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, uncritically relayed the alleged accounts of Afghan farmers that "the Taliban used a system of consensus-building" to develop and carry out the edict. That characterization was more than a little suspect because the Taliban was not known for pursuing consensus in other aspects of its rule. Columnist Robert Scheer was justifiably scathing in his criticism of the U.S. response. "That a totalitarian country can effectively crack down on its farmers is not surprising," Sheer noted, but he considered it "grotesque" for a U.S. official to describe the drug-crop crackdown in such benign terms.

Yet the Bush administration did more than praise the Taliban's proclaimed ban of opium cultivation. In mid-May, 2001, Secretary of State Colin Powell announced a $43 million grant to Afghanistan in addition to the humanitarian aid the United States had long been providing to agencies assisting Afghan refugees. Given Callahan's comment, there was little doubt that the new stipend was a reward for Kabul's anti-drug efforts. That $43 million grant needs to be placed in context. Afghanistan's estimated gross domestic product was a mere $2 billion. The equivalent financial impact on the U.S. economy would have required an infusion of $215 billion. In other words, $43 million was very serious money to Afghanistan's theocratic masters.

To make matters worse, U.S. officials were naive to take the Taliban edict at face value. The much-touted crackdown on opium poppy cultivation appears to have been little more than an illusion. Despite U.S. and UN reports that the Taliban had virtually wiped out the poppy crop in 2000-2001, authorities in neighboring Tajikistan reported that the amounts coming across the border were actually increasing. In reality, the Taliban gave its order to halt cultivation merely to drive up the price of opium the regime had already stockpiled.

Even if the Taliban had tried to stem cultivation for honest reasons, U.S. cooperation with that regime should have been morally repugnant. Among other outrages, the Taliban government prohibited the education of girls, tortured and executed political critics, and required non-Muslims to wear distinctive clothing--a practice eerily reminiscent of Nazi Germany's requirement that Jews display the Star of David on their clothing. Yet U.S. officials deemed none of that to be a bar to cooperation with the Taliban on drug policy.

Even if the Bush administration had not been dissuaded by moral considerations, it should have been by purely pragmatic concerns. There was already ample evidence in the spring of 2001 that the Taliban was giving sanctuary to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network that had bombed two U.S. embassies in East Africa. For the State Department to ignore that connection and agree to subsidize the Taliban was inexcusably obtuse. Scheer was on the mark when he concluded, "The war on drugs has become our own fanatics' obsession and easily trumps all other concerns."

Washington's approach came to an especially calamitous end in September 2001 when the Taliban regime was linked to bin Laden's terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon that killed some 3,000 people. Moreover, evidence quickly emerged that the Taliban all along had been collecting millions of dollars in profits from the illicit drug trade, with much of that money going into the coffers of the terrorists. Rarely is there such graphic evidence of the bankruptcy of U.S. drug policy

http://groups.msn.com/LibertarianShadowD...531244957500947

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Bush administration rewarded the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium crop! [Re: LSDempire]
    #4541572 - 08/16/05 10:27 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"And the second Boobie Prize of the Week goes to the Bush Administration for giving a gift to the Taliban of $43 million for joining the War on Drugs. In a pretty shrewd PR move, the Taliban have declared that opium-growing is against the will of God. So, even though they're cutting off girls' clits & hookers' heads, even though they're beating the women for showing an ankle & beating the men for not growing a beard, even though they're making the Hindus wear little Hindu patches so when it's time to round up all the Hindus & do Allah knows what, they'll know who they are, even though they're verging on Nazism here, hey, they've signed up to fight the WAR on DRUGS

"So President Bush just wipes the coke from his nose & hands 'em 43 mil. Are we nuts? We're like religious fanatics. When it comes to the Drug War, American zealotry knows no bounds. Hey Saddam, ya listening? All you have to do is declare War on Drugs, execute some poppy farmers, & America will give you money. Drug money. Hey, take away their opium, put 'em on Prozac. What a world."

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4596327 - 08/29/05 09:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

George Bush and Colin Powell are terrorist, giving them time in prison would be letting them off easy.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #4596493 - 08/29/05 10:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

FOUR MORE YEARS

FOUR MORE YEARS

FOUR MORE YEARS

FOUR MORE YEARS

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Bush administration rewarded the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium crop! [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4596519 - 08/29/05 10:31 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
FOUR MORE YEARS

FOUR MORE YEARS

FOUR MORE YEARS

FOUR MORE YEARS

Four more years of the war on drugs or Bush? What are you so happy about? I already know you support the war on drugs. So I can only assume you don't use illegal drugs. What do you do for fun, get drunk and post your drunken rants?

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4596551 - 08/29/05 10:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4596563 - 08/29/05 10:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You do realize that any politician that becomes president is going to continue the war on drugs.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Bush administration rewarded the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium crop! [Re: Redstorm]
    #4596570 - 08/29/05 10:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

even Hillary Clinton?

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bush administration rewarded the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium crop! [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4596579 - 08/29/05 10:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Especially the bull-dike.

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

#4596736 - 08/29/05 11:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
even Hillary Clinton?

Yes, that's why I would never vote for a Democrat. A Libertarian president would end the war on drugs.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4596779 - 08/29/05 11:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yeah but not enough people would vote libertarian so its pointless.

--------------------

OfflineLSDempire
LibertarianEnforcer
 User Gallery

Re: Bush administration rewarded the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium crop! [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4596799 - 08/29/05 11:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:

The Libertarian Party is the third biggest party in the United States. Unless you have a better idea you better vote Libertarian for now.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4596841 - 08/29/05 11:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ya but theres a huge fucking drop after number 2.......If I lived in the US theres a big chance I'd vote Libertarian though.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bush administration rewarded the Taliban for 'controlling' the opium crop! [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4596949 - 08/29/05 11:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:

That's exactly the kind of shitty attitude that keeps the Rep.'s and Dem.'s in power over the reasonable parties.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion