Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheLightIsOn
In the worst ofall your fears

50/50 Mix (Pre-Pasteurized) 5lb bag, 1QT jars, and WBS?
    #4541266 - 08/16/05 05:32 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I know what I want to do it's just time to do some math and figure out the right amount of materials I'm going to need. I've done cakes before which was simple enough. Now, it's time for casings.
I don't care if I have more WBS left over since I'll use it for other grows. The thing I worry about is having too much 50/50 Mix (Pre-Pasteurized) 5lb bag left over with not enough spawn and containers to grow with. If the 50/50 bag sat around, will it be subjected to contams?
I want enough 50/50 Mix (Pre-Pasteurized) to work with 12 1QT of WBS spawn, or should I say how many jars will I need to work with a 5LB 50/50 bag? Also, how many casing containers will I need for this project? I'm not doing rubbermaids I'm going to build my own martha style storage.
If need be I don't need to use all of the jars if a few 1QT jars do the trick. I don't want a too big of a grow operation since it's my first casing.

-Thanks

--------------------
AFOAF's current multi-grow log

"In the privince of the mind, what is believed to be true is true or becomes true, within limits to be found experientially and experimentally.  These limits are further beliefs to be transcended.  In the province of the mind, there are no limits." -John C. Lilly

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: 50/50 Mix (Pre-Pasteurized) 5lb bag, 1QT jars, and WBS? [Re: TheLightIsOn]
    #4541279 - 08/16/05 05:48 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hey there,  welcome.

First of all, If you haven't gotten the poo yet, I recommend getting the 100% horse poo and not the 50/50 mix.  Too much straw can dry out quickly, and there is plenty of it lurking around in the horse poo from the horse eating it...  It doesn't digest as well as cows do.

So for your ratio:

I use 2Qt jars per 5lbs of poo.  This works out pretty well.  Mix 1.5 fully colonized jars with the poo, and spread the other .5 out over the top for a fast sealing barrier on the top.

I used a 12qt dish tub for each 5lbs and works out nicely.

Good luck to ya :cool:

OfflineTheLightIsOn

Re: 50/50 Mix (Pre-Pasteurized) 5lb bag, 1QT jars, and WBS? [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4541345 - 08/16/05 06:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Awsome! Quick responce. This is what I love about shroomery :-)

Anyways, would you happen to have any pictures of the 12qt dish tub so I can get some sort of idea about how big they are and how far to fill the tub with substrate?

-Thanks

--------------------

"In the privince of the mind, what is believed to be true is true or becomes true, within limits to be found experientially and experimentally.  These limits are further beliefs to be transcended.  In the province of the mind, there are no limits." -John C. Lilly

OfflineTheLightIsOn

#4541362 - 08/16/05 07:10 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

One other question I forgot to ask in my past post is Should I put moist vermiculite over the top of the .5 poo to help keep contams out?

-peace

--------------------

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4541541 - 08/16/05 10:06 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I don't have any pics of mine. ----yet.  But soon to come, because I just noticed I have some pins this morning HELL YEA!

But here is one of many posts from agar in which he shows the same tub I use.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4150401#Post4150401

Don't put any vermiculite on the top until the top is completely colonized. - well actually even a couple of days PAST that, so that it is 100% colonized all the way through.  Then you can "case" it with what ever casing materials you choose, cover, incubate again until the mycelium just starts to poke through, lightly patch if needed, and THEN put into the fruiting chamber.

Got it?

I think your getting the hang of it.  Kewl. :thumbup:

OfflineTheLightIsOn

#4542013 - 08/16/05 01:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ahh ok. I found some of those for about 94 cents a peice at Walmart, but didn't pick any up yet. I will tonight though :-) The 2 quart jars per 12QT tubs seems like a crap load of substrate. Is that because the more substrate + poo = more shrooms?

-Thanks

--------------------

Edited by TheLightIsOn (08/16/05 01:19 PM)

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4543021 - 08/16/05 06:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Youll, see. It really isn't much at all.

But more substrate + poo = faster colonization times. This just seems to be a pretty good ratio...for me.

OfflineTheLightIsOn

#4545668 - 08/17/05 05:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, sounds good to me :-)

-PEACE

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation