Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Air Pump, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburbia
Will these turn into pins or am I doing something wrong?
    #4540780 - 08/16/05 02:48 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I came back from a 3 day vacation and my cakes have many puffy hyphal knots all over them, but none have darkened yet. Anything I can do or should I just continue misting/fanning until they decide to pin?

(The camera kind of lumped them together. They're actually more defined and some are sticking out almost a cm.)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLipaYai5
Fuzzy

Loc: Mamunia... whoaaooo.
Re: Will these turn into pins or am I doing something wrong? [Re: Newbie]
    #4540812 - 08/16/05 03:01 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hmm that setup looks familiar :wink:  When did you birth the cakes?

Have you tryed cold shocking yet? 

My friend suggests : 
Dunk cakes if you haven't use the TEKS on this site to find how you should, but leave them in the fridge for at least 12 hours, and try not to keep them in for more than 24 hours.

If you have already dunked, try keeping a couple of ice packs in the terrarium,  this will bring the RH down a bit, but it will help in pinning. 

She asks if the Hyphal knots you speak of are fuzzy looking, like a q-tip???    if so, she says, it's just mycelium branching out. 

If you see true Hyphal knots, they should pin... in fact the fact you see no darkened head doesn't mean they aren't going to pin, you know that.  just like in everything, patience helps. 
Write back and let us know in a couple of days how they look...  usually they take 1-2 weeks from birth to successful pinset. 

Good luck!

-LY5

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Will these turn into pins or am I doing something wrong? [Re: LipaYai5]
    #4540826 - 08/16/05 03:05 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

2/3 were dunked and rolled, but the one that wasn't shows the most growth. I had a couple of ice packs in the perlite but they don't stay cold long enough. I'm dealing with higher temps (mid 70's-80's) and I don't have a way to make my room cooler. I'll let it go for a couple of days and post some more pics.

OfflineLipaYai5
Fuzzy

#4540871 - 08/16/05 03:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

when were they birthed? I know I asked before, but this may be why you haven't seen any yet... you said you were gone 2-3 days... this is how long I waited before I realised I might have another 1-2 weeks before I saw pinheads, and I really wanted to have some fully grown mature- harvestable product!

Don't get discouraged.
-LY5

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4540926 - 08/16/05 03:40 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

They were birthed about a week ago...I have a grow log in the grow logs section you can check out for further details.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4503223/an/0/page/0

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4541171 - 08/16/05 04:46 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ok upon closer inspection the "knots" look more like Q-tips, so I guess I still have a while to wait. I'll put more frozen stuff in the perlite to bring the rh down a bit, but does it have to stay cold for a long time or will it be sufficient to induce fruiting?

Edited by Newbie (08/16/05 05:00 AM)

OfflineLipaYai5
Fuzzy

#4541319 - 08/16/05 06:31 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you DONT want the RH to go down... but it will with less heat... exp. if you use frozen things. try to keep the humidity high as possible.. use Ice packs if you have them... Leave em in there overnight, replace the next day... etc... you'll start seeing pins if everything is alright. you know, 75-79F and RH as high as possible... 100% at best! keep rotating Ice packs, until you see pins. you should actually start seeing them within a matter of days now. I'll read your grow log to see your progress!

-LY5

--------------------
www.livephish.com
[url = www.absinthesupply.com]
[url = www.sugarmegs.org]
url = www.ebaumsworld.com
= www.rpwebworks.com

"Never fail to stand up for what you believe in, there will always be  someone else who believes in something else."-Me :smirk:
To contact me via MSN messenger, guess my f^$ing contact name... you phsychic.

Offlinetoadstools
great googelymoogely
 User Gallery

Loc: FL USA
    #4541499 - 08/16/05 09:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hi, newbie
Looks like we got started in this hobby around the same time. I just harvested my second flush from the first cake I put in to fruiting. Patience is the key. It took my cake a little over a week to show its first pins. I have the fruiting chamber temps running from a low at night of 76 deg to a high of 81-82 degrees so I think your temps will work. My light is just the natural filtered sunlight about 12+ hours a day. But I have been fanning about every 1.5-2 hours when I am home and then giving two good pumps with a mister onto the tub lid before closing to keep the humidity up. I had a hard time seeing the hypal knots myself between the q-tip stuff. It seems like they were all hiding low on the cake just about at the perlite layer as this is where most of my first pins began. I started to worry too after about a week and then all of a sudden pop there was one pin. It seemed like it developed in between the two hour fannings. Then they started popping up all over. I think having slightly higher than optimal fruiting temps might prolong pinset but thats just a guess. Good luck and lets see some pics of your cakes progress. :smile:
Toadstools

--------------------
:mushroom2: :heart: :sun: Meddle, Meddle, Friend of mine, All good things in all good time! :sun: :heart: :mushroom2:

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Will these turn into pins or am I doing something wrong? [Re: toadstools]
    #4541536 - 08/16/05 10:03 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet. Thanks for the advice, I was waiting to hear from someone in my position too. I'll keep updating!

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4545319 - 08/17/05 03:51 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Still nothing...temp was successfully lowered to low 70's though. At what point do I know I should toss it?

Offlinetoadstools
great googelymoogely
 User Gallery

Loc: FL USA
    #4545834 - 08/17/05 09:15 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

My PE on poo casing is at two weeks and 1 day and this morning wallah, 3 nice little pins have poked up their heads. Two of my cakes are at about 3 days over that and I am just now getting pins. I don't know how long to wait. But I did follow scatmans advice. In one of his posts he said that he fruits at a little higher temps than what may be optimal. So you have to make sure you have really good air exchange and good light to initiate the pinning. I fan on average every hour and a half to two hours when I am home. In your grow log you said "When I do my fanning I lift the cover for a little while and wave my hand around to circulate the air" This may not be enough air exchange. CO2 is heavier than air and will settle into the bottom of the chamber. I use the whole lid to my sterlite container and fan for about a full minute pretty hard to get co2 to lift up and out of the container. Then I spray the lid 2-3 times as I am closing it to up the humidity.This is just what has worked so far for me on my first grow so I don't know for sure why any of it worked. Good Luck :smile:
Toadstools

--------------------
:mushroom2: :heart: :sun: Meddle, Meddle, Friend of mine, All good things in all good time! :sun: :heart: :mushroom2:

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4545842 - 08/17/05 09:20 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Cool thanks for the tip.

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4546351 - 08/17/05 12:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

toadstools said:
make sure you have really good air exchange... I fan on average every hour and a half to two hours when I am home.

This is key. Otherwise you will just get fuzzy myc growing and no shrooms.

--------------------

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4546466 - 08/17/05 01:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LipaYai5 said:
you DONT want the RH to go down... but it will with less heat... exp. if you use frozen things. try to keep the humidity high as possible.. use Ice packs if you have them... Leave em in there overnight, replace the next day... etc... you'll start seeing pins if everything is alright. you know, 75-79F and RH as high as possible... 100% at best! keep rotating Ice packs, until you see pins. you should actually start seeing them within a matter of days now. I'll read your grow log to see your progress!

-LY5

100% rH is too high... you are very subject to bacterial blotch at that point - for cakes you need at least 95, and 97 is optimal IME. Go to walmart and buy a small fish tank bubbler (under $10) put the hose underneath the perlite in the middle of your FC and fan 3 times a day. Cut a small hole in your lid and run a straw through it to the bottom of your FC, plug the top of the straw with polyfill. This will provide constant air exchange + the fanning. As far as the temps go, the Ice packs seem to be your best bet, but once you get pins mid 70's to 80 is fine.

Happy Trails and GL to ya bro

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Will these turn into pins or am I doing something wrong? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4547156 - 08/17/05 05:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, I'm definitely getting an air pump then becasue that has to be my problem.

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4547255 - 08/17/05 05:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Is this how I should set up the air pump? I drew it really quick in Paint just to give you an idea of what I understand...

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #4547275 - 08/17/05 05:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

that looks good... drop the straw as low to the perlite as possible without going into it... move the straw as far away from the outlet of the tube as possible, and rig up a homemade filter box for the pump itself to go inside...

easy way to do that is... take a tupperware, cut holes 2 holes in the side for the tube and the chord, and seal them with krazy glue or something. replace the lid with some sort of filter, like tyvek, or a good vaccuum bag, and put a rubberband around that to hold it on. or you could just cut a few 1/2" holes in the top and get some polyfill from your pillow and stuff it in there. Use a 20:1 water:H2O2 ratio for your perlite...

cutting holes in plastic works very well if you just heat up the blade of a knife on the stove top.

Happy trails and GL to ya!

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Will these turn into pins or am I doing something wrong? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4547626 - 08/17/05 07:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds good. I have a soldering iron so that should work well for the filter box and the aquarium lid. I don't think I have any straws big enough to go that far down to the perlite so I'll try to find some alternate tubing.

Is a wider tube better?

Is a more powerful air pump better as well? I was thinking of rigging a 20gal pump to my 10gal tank, that way the air flow will be fresher faster.

I also have a roll of poly fill, I was thinking of making my own lid and just putting an air pump through it and having the whole top of the aquarium a poly fill sheet. Then just eliminate the straw. Would that work or is a real lid recommended?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Air Pump, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation