Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetuneout08
Stranger

new user...questions about shrooms and lamictal
    #4538409 - 08/15/05 02:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i am a new user here and have never taken shrooms, but am really eager to try them. although, i have just started taking a small dose (25 mg) of lamictal. i do not know if this drug is an SSri or a MAIO. i know that taking shrooms with different medications can cause the trip to be more intense. i just want to be sure before anything. can someone help me?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: new user...questions about shrooms and lamictal [Re: tuneout08]
    #4538422 - 08/15/05 02:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I just did a search on google and I think this is an SSRI. I think MAOIs generally means you need half the dose, but Im not sure about SSRIs. Im not very knowledgeable about the interactions between these yet. Someone else on here can tell you though I imagine.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
    #4538427 - 08/15/05 02:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

As far as I know, the exact way that Lamictal works is unknown. However, it is believed that Lamictal affects chemicals in the brain involved in seizures and in bipolar disorder. I would be very carful, mixing these two, they may effect eachother. Perhaps someone will have first hand experience taking it, especially with mushrooms..but if no one else does, just be very carful, and if you decide to try, start with a lower mushroom dose first.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
    #4538428 - 08/15/05 02:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Start with a gram before anything.

Lay down in your room and put on some soothing music or go outside and relax. If you feel like you want more than a gram after 30-90 min. go ahead. Peace and love.

--------------------

Offlinetuneout08
Stranger

Re: new user...questions about shrooms and lamictal [Re: ShroomOmatic]
    #4538478 - 08/15/05 02:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i found some information on different post..it was about lamictal and lsd. and i only take a very small 25mg of lamictal.. does this help?

Lamictal and psychedelics do not bite each other.
Mental conditions and LSD however do.
Is it wise to use a mindstirrer on your troubled mind?
Your life, your decision to make.

Considering that psilocybin is structurally very similar to LSD, I'd bet that if Lamictal didn't do anything to the mushrooms, it shouldn't do anything to LSD

Offline3six5
Psychenaught
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right here
    #4545482 - 08/17/05 02:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

when ur heart gets to beating real hard.. take a deep breath and remind ur self.. thats supposed to happen.. its not as bad as it seems.. when ur mind gets to racing.. take a deep breath, close ur eyes, and get into it. when the visuals get so stunning.. smile and dance.

the best advice is.. be able to relax, get out into nature. if the worse starts to happen.. take a deep breath or 2 and smile.. u'll be fine in only a moment and u'll be back into the groove of things.

no worries

---
i never recommend mixing pharms and psyches

--------------------

OfflinePax
Stranger
Re: new user...questions about shrooms and lamictal [Re: 3six5]
    #4674394 - 09/17/05 02:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

FYI, Lamictal is NOT an SSRI. It is a mood stabilizer (especially for bipoar folks like me) and ant1-convulsant (for people with epilepsy).

Offlinewank
Stranger
Re: new user...questions about shrooms and lamictal "and ABILIFY" [Re: Pax]
    #4679102 - 09/18/05 08:03 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I know a friend who is currently taking 400 mg's of Lamictal as well as 30mg's of Abilify.
She told me that her "dreams" (mushrooms) were a great deal less intense.
She who had not much of a history of visuals, now reports no visuals at all. We are not sure if this is a response to the Lamictal or to the Abilify, or a combination of both.
Also she told me that, higher doses didn?t seem to be worth the effort and she was going to try and find other means of enlightenment, she said she is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Not certain of whether or not medicine, that is not really effective, but makes life manageable, is worth giving up for the rewards of another kind.

She also mentioned the same disturbance with Mescaline, Ayahuasca and Salvia Divornum.
Again, I must say that this effect might either be due to the Abilify or the Lamictal, anybody?s guess at this point.

I am interested in anybody else's friend or loved one who is/has been on either medicine, and had similar problems with the combination.

Oh and her psychiatrist mentioned that although the medicine would cut down the effects (due to the anti-psychotic effect), Ayahuasca in particular (MAOI's) would not interact in a harmful way (hypotension and other MAOI side effects) just interact and make the trip way less intense and that the risk of mania would increase following the session. I imagine that most psychedelics would be affected in some way.
One last thought , I would like to warn of the possible mania from the stimulus of a psychedelic journey and also from the flood of neuro-chemicals.

Offlinewank
Stranger
CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF LAMICTAL [Re: wank]
    #4679121 - 09/18/05 08:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Taken in part without permission from "http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_lamictal.pdf"

CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
Mechanism of Action: The precise mechanism(s) by which lamotrigine exerts its
anticonvulsant action are unknown. In animal models designed to detect anticonvulsant activity,
lamotrigine was effective in preventing seizure spread in the maximum electroshock (MES) and
pentylenetetrazol (scMet) tests, and prevented seizures in the visually and electrically evoked
after-discharge (EEAD) tests for antiepileptic activity. The relevance of these models to human
epilepsy, however, is not known.
One proposed mechanism of action of LAMICTAL, the relevance of which remains to be
established in humans, involves an effect on sodium channels. In vitro pharmacological studies
suggest that lamotrigine inhibits voltage-sensitive sodium channels, thereby stabilizing neuronal
membranes and consequently modulating presynaptic transmitter release of excitatory amino
acids (e.g., glutamate and aspartate).
LAMICTAL also displayed inhibitory properties in the kindling model in rats both during
kindling development and in the fully kindled state. The relevance of this animal model to
specific types of human epilepsy is unclear.
The mechanisms by which lamotrigine exerts its therapeutic action in Bipolar Disorder have
not been established.
Pharmacological Properties: Although the relevance for human use is unknown, the
following data characterize the performance of LAMICTAL in receptor binding assays.
Lamotrigine had a weak inhibitory effect on the serotonin 5-HT3 receptor (IC50 = 18 μM). It does
not exhibit high affinity binding (IC50>100 μM) to the following neurotransmitter receptors:
adenosine A1 and A2; adrenergic α1, α2, and β; dopamine D1 and D2; γ-aminobutyric acid
(GABA) A and B; histamine H1; kappa opioid; muscarinic acetylcholine; and serotonin 5-HT2.
Studies have failed to detect an effect of lamotrigine on dihydropyridine-sensitive calcium
channels. It had weak effects at sigma opioid receptors (IC50 = 145 μM). Lamotrigine did not
inhibit the uptake of norepinephrine, dopamine, or serotonin, (IC50>200 μM) when tested in rat
synaptosomes and/or human platelets in vitro.

Edited by wank (09/18/05 08:11 PM)

Invisibledazed1980
Psychonaut
Male
Re: CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF LAMICTAL [Re: wank]
    #5429790 - 03/22/06 12:35 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

I already posted this in another thread but here it is again: a friend of mine said that they have tripped while taking Lamictal and they didn't seem to think that it influenced the trip one way or the other.

Edited by dazed1980 (05/23/06 09:51 PM)

Invisibleabrad84
Stranger
Male

Re: CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF LAMICTAL [Re: dazed1980]
    #5429795 - 03/22/06 12:37 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

I would think it's a little late.  :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate