Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Nerds
    #4538098 - 08/15/05 03:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

What's wrong with nerds?

Were you a nerd?

I wasn't. I was always on the fringe of everything.

But now that I'm older I've been called a nerd by numerous people.

Who do I have the honor of sharing that title with?

Oh, and what exactly is a nerd?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Nerds [Re: MOTH]
    #4538103 - 08/15/05 03:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I think we're all nerds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd

Nerd, as a stereotypical or archetypal designation, refers to socially-awkward people of above-average intelligence whose interests (often in science and mathematics) are not shared by mainstream society. People designated as nerds may also exhibit such traits as pedantry, obesity, myopia, ungainliness, High-Functioning Autism, or a gaunt physique.

Beginning in the late 1990s, many nerds on the Internet reclaimed the word nerd as a badge of pride, and began using it as a positive description of a technically-competent person.

The philosopher Timothy Charles Paul Fuller adopted the term nerd in the mid-1960s to describe a stereotypical intelligent recluse with poor social skills, one often the butt of others' jokes. The word itself first appeared in Dr. Seuss's book If I Ran the Zoo, published in 1950, where it simply names one of Seuss's many comical imaginary animals. (The narrator Gerald McGrew claims that he would collect "a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker too" for his imaginary zoo.) Another theory of the word's origin sees it as a version of Mortimer Snerd, the name of Edgar Bergen's ventriloquist dummy. Yet another theory traces the term to Northern Electric Research and Development, where the employees wore pocket protectors with the acronym N.E.R.D. printed on them. And yet another theory claims that nerd comes from the word "drunk" reversed to "knurd", to illustrate someone who did not drink at parties.

The stereotypical nerd image as seen in the mass media and cartoons equates to a young man wearing thick black eyeglasses (preferably broken and taped up with electrical tape), pocket protectors, high-water pants and dress shirts or clothes generally too formal for the circumstances. Sometimes the stereotype lacks personal hygiene skills, and he will typically appear either very skinny or extremely fat. Stereotypical nerds usually lack social graces and the ability to perform social interaction, except on technical topics.

Traditionally used solely to describe men and boys, the terms "nerd" and "geek" have been adopted by many women interested in technology, science, mathematics and other typically male-dominated intellectual fields as badges of their accomplishments in these areas.

In association with their image in certain Western societies as a so-called Model Minority, some East Asians get stereotyped as studious and untalkative nerds.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Nerds [Re: dr_gonz]
    #4538116 - 08/15/05 03:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I eat nerds.  Good candy.  :thumbup:

InvisibleInsatiableThirst
for knowledge.
Female

Loc: In my head but out of my ...
    #4538121 - 08/15/05 03:30 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Geeks are better than nerds.

--------------------

Sometimes we let the preoccupations of this cruel world get the best of us and we lose track of the things that really matter.

If you don't risk anything, you risk even more.

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
Re: Nerds [Re: InsatiableThirst]
    #4538128 - 08/15/05 03:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ima nerd but i dont act or look like one... i play a lot of sports...

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#4538131 - 08/15/05 03:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

haha, my husband tells me the EXACT same thing.  :grin:

He is a self-professed geek.

edit for my abysmal blah blah spelling

Edited by EllemyshShade (08/15/05 03:32 PM)

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #4538136 - 08/15/05 03:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

im more of a geek than a nerd

--------------------
Kira: What do Klingons dream about?

Worf: Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you up in the middle of the night. No, it is better you do not know

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
Re: Nerds [Re: Worf]
    #4538138 - 08/15/05 03:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

whats the difference?

Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Nerds [Re: Worf]
    #4538140 - 08/15/05 03:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

outputrotation said:
im more of a geek than a nerd

a geek is a person who is fascinated, perhaps obsessively, by obscure or very specific areas of knowledge and imagination. Geek may not always have the same meaning as the term nerd (see nerd for a discussion of the disputed relation between the terms).

The definition of geek has changed considerably over the years. Below are some definitions of the word "geek", in order from newer to oldest. All are still in use.

A person with an encyclopaedic knowledge of random trivia especially those bordering on the highly obscure. Trivia geeks are often also known as ubergeeks.
A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Comparable with the classic definition of hacker. Late 20th century and early 21st century
A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad, and allows for mathematics geeks, band geeks, computer geeks, politics geeks, geography geeks, geeks of the natural sciences, music geeks, history geeks, Good Eats geeks (Briners), linguistics geeks, sports geeks, figure skating geeks, SCA geeks, gaming geeks, typography geeks, ham radio geeks, public transit geeks (metrophiles), anime and manga geeks (otaku), Stargate geeks (Stargate SG-1/Atlantis fans, Gaters), Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel geeks, Star Wars geeks, Star Trek geeks (Trekkie), Tolkien or fantasy geeks (Tolkienite), geeks of many colours, genders, and styles, and last but not least, Wikipedia geeks. Late 20th Century and early 21st century
G.E.E.K. as an acronym came from the United States Military. It stands for General Electrical Engineering Knowledge. It is unclear if this was the origin of the current meaning for geek, or if the acronym was used in a joking way toward the pre-established meaning for geek (a backronym).
A person who swallows live animals, bugs, etc., as a form of entertainment at fairs etc. This often included biting the heads off of chickens. The Geek would usually perform in a "geek pit." This probably comes from the Scottish geck, meaning 'fool', in turn from Low German. 19th century

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This definition is now mostly used to define a nerd, not a geek

A derogatory term for one with low social skills, often with average intelligence, as opposed to nerds, who are generally viewed as having low social skills but high intelligence. It is theorised that many of these people have Asperger's syndrome. Late 20th century
In an exhibitionist social experiment, Dr. Simon Ronald, a computer geek from Adelaide, Australia set out to determine public reaction to the term "geek." He arranged white teeshirts with GEEK printed on one and CODER1 printed on another. These are observations from lunchtime walks through the busy streets of Adelaide over a six month period. "CODER1 raises a few eyebrows, but GEEK is a reliable headturner. Pedestrians breaking out into smiles as well as spontaneous sniggering and finger pointing. Strongest reaction is pity from the blue collar demographic where perhaps the word geek is associated more with vulgar social connotations. When quizzed about geek, people quipped: 'awkward', 'nerdy', 'space cadet', and 'socially incompetent'. Some said, 'Hey I like your t-shirt', but those tended to be tech types as well.

Geek has always had negative connotations within society at large, where being described as a geek tends to be an insult. The term has recently become less condescending, or even a badge of honor, within particular fields and subcultures; this is particularly evident in the technical disciplines, where the term is now more of a compliment denoting extraordinary skill. This may have in part been caused by the popularity of the Dilbert comic strip, though in the larger society, the geek classification is still a negative one.

A geek can be so absorbed in her imagination that she exhibits the geeky 'lost-in-space' gaze, and may appear to be unresponsive due to her absorption in other thoughts or pursuits. The level of concentration and focus may feature at the expense of cultural plumage. Geeks are often considered technological monks - too busy working within their intellectual domain to do menial chores or worry about current trends.

Modern geeks run the gamut of society, with every shape, size, color, political stance, athletic ability, music taste and age accounted for. Most people would not recognize a modern geek by looking at him, as many do not fit into the old stereotypes of the pocket protector and black-rimmed glasses with white medical tape in the middle. Modern geeks are granted a certain amount of respect, as the technology they foster brings greater convenience to the lives of many.

Perhaps due to the high prevalence of High-Functioning Autism among geeks, especially Asperger's Syndrome, the INTP type of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is common in geekhood (description 1, description 2.)

"Geeks are their own society: a literate, hyperinformed underground" (What is a geek?)

Hackers tend to mostly be geeks, although the converse may not be true. (What is a hacker?)

The most popular Urban Dictionary definition for geek is acute in mirroring the general social acceptance for geeks - Geek, n. Someone who you beat up in high school, and end up working for in later life. To quote one character from the popular television show Stargate Atlantis, "This is some sort of pay-back for guys like me beating up guys like you in high school, right?"

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4538145 - 08/15/05 03:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm definitely a nerd, and definitely wear that name as a badge of pride :grin:

Nerds will inherit the Earth.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Invisibleadrug

#4538147 - 08/15/05 03:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Being a nerd is the best thing EVAR>>>

You get to play scrabble and talk about philosophical and scientific type stuff and like tv shows about outer space and and funny old cartoons that are long forgotten by most people and go to museums and use computers all the time and read non-fiction books for fun and omg its GREAT!

The nerd distinction is an honor, my dear. The ratty old The Maxx t-shirt of courage. Welcome to nerdville. :heart:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Nerds [Re: adrug]
    #4538154 - 08/15/05 03:36 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

adrug said:
Welcome to nerdville. :heart:

Looks like I'm in great company.  :tongue2: :heart:

OfflineCaptain Loafy McPoopdick
(4 1 2)

Loc: 1 5 1 3 6
Re: Nerds [Re: adrug]
    #4538157 - 08/15/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know what category I fall under, i'm a tough nerd with a little geek in me.
I play video games, I play RPGs, but I don't let people mess with me.

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
Re: Nerds [Re: Captain Loafy McPoopdick]
    #4538168 - 08/15/05 03:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ya i consider myself a nerd because im smarter than most of my friends and i play video games and talk on internet forums...

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Nerds [Re: trendal]
    #4538175 - 08/15/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps due to the high prevalence of High-Functioning Autism among geeks, especially Asperger's Syndrome, the INTP type of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is common in geekhood (description 1, description 2.)

I'm an INTP. Every INTP I've ever really talked to has been a self-professed nerd and/or geek.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibleInsatiableThirst
for knowledge.
Female

Loc: In my head but out of my ...
Re: Nerds [Re: trendal]
    #4538189 - 08/15/05 03:46 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a geek and an INFP.

--------------------

Sometimes we let the preoccupations of this cruel world get the best of us and we lose track of the things that really matter.

If you don't risk anything, you risk even more.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#4538193 - 08/15/05 03:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Where can I find out what I am?

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #4538196 - 08/15/05 03:47 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I study Aerospace Engineering and we definitely have one of the highest nerd-densities in Holland at our faculty.

The biggest problem is that we have 1500 male nerds and only 78 female nerds at my faculty. That just fucking sucks. I have a non nerd gf, but I just like some gender diversity around me. I never go to class and I only make my exams there. I live in a different city because 85% of all students in the city where I study are male-nerds. I like engineering, planes, space-shuttles, games and movies, but there are more things to talk about and there are more things to do in the weekends than studying. I just have different/more interests than most of them ohhh and most of them are not open minded towards drugs... I hate those people :smirk:

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
Re: Nerds *DELETED* [Re: MOTH]
    #4538197 - 08/15/05 03:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by WoodsCall

Reason for deletion: :smile:

Edited by WoodsCall (08/15/05 08:35 PM)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Nerds [Re: WoodsCall]
    #4538203 - 08/15/05 03:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WoodsCall said:
Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
What's wrong with nerds? 

Were you a nerd? 

I wasn't.  I was always on the fringe of everything. 

But now that I'm older I've been called a nerd by numerous people. 

Who do I have the honor of sharing that title with? 

Oh, and what exactly is a nerd?

Always have been, always will be :smile:

you Are SO CUTE!!!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub