Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinebizzaroSquirrel
residentsquirrel

Loc: Melbourne, Aust
Mushrooms near P. subaeruginosa, possible galerina? (pics)
    #4536735 - 08/15/05 02:24 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hi guys, i FINALLY have my camera back after the gf took it overseas, so i charged down to an area where i had found some Psylocybe subaeruginosa a few weeks back to take some pics of these other mushrooms growing there.  Just curious what they are.

There are 2 types, but i only have a description for the first.  For some random reason i didn't take any of the second mushrooms home, though i thought they look like galerinas from other pics i have seen.

Anyway..

Mushroom #1

Habitat: Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
Characteristics of the gills: Brown.  Young have gills attached directly across, but older have them atatched and moving down the stem (sry, i returned stamets book to library so i can't give the correct name)
Characteristics of the stem: Whitish underneath, but a brown pattern over top.  Fibrous.  ~5 - 8 mm in diameter by ~40 - 45mm long.
Characteristics of the cap: Deep brown/red in middle, leading to a lighter brown/red, with some cool radiating pattern :smile: small ~30mm, large ~50mm.
Spore print color: Brownish to light brown (only been a few hours).
Color that the mushroom bruises: none

What is this gill attachment called?

The pattern rox0rs my sox0rs.

Gills

OK, now mushroom #2.
I only have pics, but i'll get a description if no one can ID it from these. 
I'm really curious about these ones because sometimes the caps totally fool me and i think im onto another patch of subaeruginosas.  The gills are a dead giveaway that they aren't, but someone who isn't so cautious could mistake them.

A small patch

Caps with striated margin, subs!!

Gills, totally _not_ subs!  You can see ring remnants, but they are usually more noticable.

I thought it could be galerina autumnalis??

Any help appreciated.
squirrel  :grin:

--------------------
Hello Friends.
I am a perfectly normal human worm baby.
You have nothing, absolutely nothing to fear from me, just pay no attention to me and we will get along fine.

Edited by bizzaroSquirrel (08/15/05 05:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr_Psilocin
finding moreactives thanever
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms near P. subaeruginosa, possible galerina? [Re: bizzaroSquirrel]
    #4536764 - 08/15/05 02:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If they didn't bruise blue then there's a good chance they are galerina atumnalis!
:frown: don't eat them VERY poisonous!!
Besides they really look like them too!!
here's a pic of them: http://www.mykoweb.com/photos/large/Galerina_autumnalis(mgw-04).jpg

Edited by Mr_Psilocin (08/15/05 02:47 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms near P. subaeruginosa, possible galerina? (pics) [Re: bizzaroSquirrel]
    #4537728 - 08/15/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The gill attachment on the first ones I would call adnate.

I would start on the first ones by guessing Cortinarius. Try using a magnifier on the cap margin and the ring zone areas on the stem to see if any fragments of a collapsed cortina are visible.

The second ones look like typical Galerina marginata to me. BTW, G. autumnalis is actually a synonym for G. marginata, something demonstrated several years ago as a result of DNA study. Since G. marginata is the older name it get precedence.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflinebizzaroSquirrel
residentsquirrel

Re: Mushrooms near P. subaeruginosa, possible galerina? (pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4540911 - 08/16/05 01:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks toxicman, ill see if i can identify it from the species once i get m demystified out from the library again. I had a look at the caps and there was some fragments of a veil there (I'm assuming a viel would look the same as a cortina??).

I even have some secondary fungi(?) growing from the caps now, thought it was a spider web at first...

cheers
squirrel

--------------------
Hello Friends.
You have nothing, absolutely nothing to fear from me, just pay no attention to me and we will get along fine.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms near P. subaeruginosa, possible galerina? (pics) [Re: bizzaroSquirrel]
    #4546208 - 08/17/05 09:52 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Since those mushrooms are fairly fresh, the new fungi are probably parasitic. Very nice.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflinebizzaroSquirrel
residentsquirrel

Re: Mushrooms near P. subaeruginosa, possible galerina? (pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4548301 - 08/17/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I grabbed them out of my paper bin and had a look to see what the parasitic fungi is (are?) doing.
It's goin crazy.

Yeah i gotta stop distracting myself from study  :drooling:

--------------------
Hello Friends.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck