Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Grizzly Man
    #4533418 - 08/14/05 10:10 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

A great new documentary about a man, Timothy Treadwell, who goes to live with the grizzlies for a few months every year for 13 years and attempts to prove they are just big loveable balls of fur. The film won numerous awards, accolades and critical praise.

Oh, yeah - the bears killed and ate him. Seems he forgot about the 1200 pounds of muscle, teeth, and claws part. Um - they are predators - doh!

Even worse, he convinced his girlfriend Amie, who was terrified of bears, that everything was safe. She was also on the menu and her remains were found alongside his along with 100 hours of footage.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (08/14/05 10:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Grizzly Man [Re: Swami]
    #4533660 - 08/14/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Is this on dvd yet? I remember seeing a review for it when it was out in limited theatres.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Grizzly Man [Re: Redstorm]
    #4533666 - 08/14/05 11:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The Wolf Man is still kicking though...

So the lesson of the story is that wolves are nicer than grizzly bears :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Grizzly Man [Re: Redstorm]
    #4533677 - 08/14/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No, it was only released two days ago.

LA Weekly: While Grizzly Man is never less than a fascinating portrait of a troubled Peter Pan who couldn't function in human society and tried to remake the animal kingdom into his own private Hanna-Barbera cartoon, it fails to establish Treadwell as much more than a serious headcase, let alone a titanic figure.

New York Times: In a way, ?Grizzly Man? is the ultimate nature documentary, for it chronicles the nature of man as well as the nature of animals. Herzog, investigating Treadwell?s earlier life, interprets him as a spiritually chaotic outcast from civilization, an impatient misfit who relieved his misanthropy with neurotic protestations of love in the wilderness. As Herzog frames it, the entire movie is a very dark joke. Yet there?s an element in the comedy which Herzog may not have intended: the contrast between the self-dramatizing American, with his na?ve egotism and optimism, and the hyper-cultivated European, who brings his own burden of despair to nature. Whereas the tormented Treadwell longs for harmony and doesn?t seem to understand that death is at the center of any ecological balance, Herzog sees nothing but death. Looking into the eyes of a bear that comes close to Treadwell?s camera, he discerns cruelty and mercilessness rather than hunger. Neither man, it seems, is willing to admit that a bear is a bear is a bear.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4534529 - 08/14/05 04:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
A great new documentary about a man, Timothy Treadwell, who goes to live with the grizzlies for a few months every year for 13 years and attempts to prove they are just big loveable balls of fur. The film won numerous awards, accolades and critical praise.

Oh, yeah - the bears killed and ate him. Seems he forgot about the 1200 pounds of muscle, teeth, and claws part. Um - they are predators - doh!

Even worse, he convinced his girlfriend Amie, who was terrified of bears, that everything was safe. She was also on the menu and her remains were found alongside his along with 100 hours of footage.

Pretty good run, 13 years. I know that autos are pretty dangerous, but people still drive them. Some don't last 13 years. He chose something he loved. He proved that these bears are not the savage beasts we used to think of them as. A worthwhile thing to give ones life to IMO.

I wonder if the girlfriend was not responsible for the attack. You mentioned she was terrified of bears. Had she put out that kind of scent durning a close incounter, bear attack would have been most likely a certainty.

Still, we all die. If you die at home of old age. Does that make you the winner?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

Re: Grizzly Man [Re: Icelander]
    #4534540 - 08/14/05 04:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

tough luck.. sounds like quite an gruesome way to die but atleast it sounds like he went down with a fight

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4534557 - 08/14/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If you die at home of old age. Does that make you the winner?

Yes. Old ladies outnumber old men by about 3 to 1 and I plan on taking advantage of those odds. :doggystyle:

I have had several boyhood friends die from alcohol abuse. At least they died doing what they loved and got more than 13 years out of it.  :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4534585 - 08/14/05 04:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"If you die at home of old age. Does that make you the winner?"

Being eaten by bears is a cool way to go.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Grizzly Man [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4534613 - 08/14/05 04:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Nothing quite like hearing yourself screaming above the thigh-bone crunching sounds after seeing the love of your life go first.  :eek:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4534667 - 08/14/05 05:08 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well if I had a choice....choke on a candy bar...or be eaten by a grizzly bear...no other alternative...I would choose the bear. Pain is transitory, but one's legacy lasts a while. At least it would sound cool at the memorial service.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4534702 - 08/14/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It would depend on the candy bar. A Mars bar might not be worth it, but a Nestle's crunch might be better'n a bear crunch.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4534708 - 08/14/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I like the Hershey's Special bar...I know...it's boring...

--------------------

Offlineelaspeinreason
psychonaut
Male

Loc: fairfax virginia
    #4534722 - 08/14/05 05:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i thought the worst part about it was the fact that the fucking camera was ON while he was being eaten and during the whole thing he was telling his girl to run and she just wouldnt....how unfortunate , but i damn sure would love to die doing something i loved and with my love. he was a cool guy a pot smoker ( pot hehe ) but an alcoholic for many years ( and got into the smack as well )...he did alot of good and will be missed

--------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one

Diploid said:
What's with proclaiming freedom by abridging freedom? That makes no sense.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4534877 - 08/14/05 06:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Nothing quite like hearing yourself screaming above the thigh-bone crunching sounds after seeing the love of your life go first.  :eek:

Sounds like the committed dose, of reality! That could change a person.

"Do you remember how it will feel. Cold grinding grizzly bear jaws, hot on your heels." (Jim Morrison) (Shamans Dream)

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4535040 - 08/14/05 07:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"Do you remember how it will feel. Cold grinding grizzly bear jaws, hot on your heels."

He was obviously terminally committed to the relationship he describes. It's a great "love (or hate) song". I have to make a correction...it is "Shaman's Blues".

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4535042 - 08/14/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I been a Doors fan too long to let that slide...sorry.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4535080 - 08/14/05 07:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You're right of course. I'm getting old. It's one of my favorite songs of Jims. :blush:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4535089 - 08/14/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Mine too...it is probably my very favorite. It reminds me of my days of sporting an overtly negative attitude...the Doors were my favorite band then...it gave me a lot of fuel for my demon infested fire....and they are still one of my favorites, but in a sentimental way.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4535589 - 08/14/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Same for me Hue. I can rarely really get in the mood for them like I used to but the're great for cleaning the house or lifting some weights. :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4535654 - 08/14/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I did not expect to live to 25 and I lived like it a lot of the time, but once I hit 30 I got concerned I would not make it to 40. Morrison's lyrics speak volumes about why he died at 27.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order