Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics
    #4533715 - 08/14/05 02:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I was wondering what the general consensus from other members on this site was in regards to the length of time they had to incubate their casing before fruiting was induced. I have had my substrate cased for 4 days now and i still do not see any mycelium poking to the surface. Maybe I'm doing something incorrect, I'm not sure and that is the reason for this post. Here is my strategy so far..Although it will be tough...Feel free to point out my flaws.

I stared with 24(250ml) fully colonized Brown Rice/Verm jars . 12Ecuador 6Cambodian and 6KohSamui SS
These jars were spawned to a pasteurized 60%Cow Dung/40%Vermiculite mix. Each myco bag had 3 jars(750ml) per 1500ml of the 60%40% mix.Colonization of the bags took 12-14 days.
Once fully colonized each myco bag was cased.

In my (sterilized)casing mixture i have used 44%coir/21%verm/35% crushed oyster shell saturated with 7.6 Ph tap water until it just barely dripped with a good squeeze. My casings are layered 1/2 inch casing material at the bottom followed by 1 inch 100% colonized spawn and finally another 1/2inch casing at the top. After leveling each layer of casing material i had lightly misted with a mix of 90%water/10% hydrogen peroxide(3%) mix. All layers were very level and consistent as i cased.Also all casing procedures were completed under a hepa flow hood / wearing latex gloves and 99% alcohol was used for sterilizing containers/tools/and gloves throughout the process.

All 8 casings were wrapped with saran wrap and sealed with tape before leaving the flow hood. They now sit in darkness at a temp of approx. 80 degrees with no air exchange.Half of the casing containers were taped at the bottom. They have been there for 4 days now. And still no sign of mycelium poking the surface.

So once again, feel free to give me some input on your casing experiences.How long have you incubated in the past ? Have i done anything completely wrong? And if there's something that you have done to speed things up that I'm not doing, please toss in your input into this thread .As this is only my second grow attempt ever,your guidance is welcomed. I look forward to seeing your replies.

Ps: Check out the high-resolution photos

Edited by Justlookin0 (08/14/05 03:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics [Re: Justlookin0]
    #4533744 - 08/14/05 02:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

My casings are layered 1/2 inch casing material at the bottom followed by 1 inch substrate and finally another 1/2 at the top. After leveling each layer of casing material i had lightly misted with a mix of 90%water/10% hydrogen peroxide(3%) mix. All layers were very level and consistent as i cased.Also all casing procedures were completed under a hepa flow hood / wearing latex gloves and 99% alcohol was used for sterilizing containers/tools/and gloves throughout the process

Your bottom layer is kinda thick - and your top layer doesn't look like you mixed spawn into it?

Quote:

I was wondering what the general consensus from other members on this site was in regards to the length of time they had to incubate their casing before fruiting was induced. I have had my substrate cased for 4 days now and i still do not see any mycelium poking to the surface. Maybe I'm doing something incorrect, I'm not sure and that is the reason for this post

Without an even mix there is no telling how long to wait for that top layer to colonize, if it does-

You want to add the caseing to the substrate after your done colonizing the sub-bed. It looks like you added it way to early.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (08/14/05 02:31 PM)

OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
Re: Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics [Re: Civ]
    #4533906 - 08/14/05 03:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

First off i never heard of anyone mixing thier colonized spawn into the top casing layer. From what i have read is that your supposed to let the mycelium come through the top layer on its own. Anyone else have an opinion on that one?

And secondly. Why would i want to colonize the subbed? I have read that the bottom casing layer is there mainly to provide drainage for mycelia piss. Although im sure it will colonize over time naturally.Anyone else have an opinion on that one?

Thx for the response Civ. Keep em coming ladies and gents..

Edited by Justlookin0 (08/14/05 03:24 PM)

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics [Re: Justlookin0]
    #4533919 - 08/14/05 03:26 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Justlookin0 said:
In my (sterilized)casing mixture i have used 44%coir/21%verm/35% crushed oyster shell saturated with 7.6 Ph tap water until it just barely dripped with a good squeeze. My casings are layered 1/2 inch casing material at the bottom followed by 1 inch substrate and finally another 1/2 at the top.

that is the strangest casing mix i have ever seen. where did you get the 35% crushed oyster shell from? the most i have seen is 15% to buffer the peat moss. coir doesn't need to be buffered nor does vermiculite.
you don't need the casing mix on the bottom, you can add vermiculite on the bottom to soak up any excess water but i wouldn't use the casing mix.
one inch of substrate is not very deep, the deeper the substrate the better the shrooms.

good luck
peace

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #4533943 - 08/14/05 03:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

First off i never heard of anyone mixing thier colonized spawn into the top casing layer. From what i have read is that your supposed to let the mycelium come through the top layer on its own. Anyone else have an opinion on that one?

Thats because you don't add caseing layer to an uncolonized substrate. Where did you read to add a 1/2 top layer to 1 inch of spawn?

You don't add a 1/2 inch top layer while spawning.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
Re: Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics [Re: Civ]
    #4533966 - 08/14/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Oh i see .There has been a misinterpretation....My spawn was 100% colonized when i cased....The pictures you see are 1/2inch casing 1inch colonized spawn and another 1/2inch casing on the top....all pics are taken 4 days into the casing incubation of course. I hope that clarifies things a little.
(I edited my main post to prevent further misinterpretation) Thx for pointing that out Civ

Edited by Justlookin0 (08/14/05 03:42 PM)

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4533983 - 08/14/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

it clarifies the fact that you didn't read up enough before you went ahead with the project, so maybe you should do some more of that before you have another go at it.
read especially about casing layers.
good luck to ya
peace

OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
Re: Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics [Re: backupwards]
    #4534011 - 08/14/05 03:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think backupwards read my last post before he jumped in to criticize my education. But thx anyways for the post i guess. lol

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4534019 - 08/14/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Justlookin0 said:
In my (sterilized)casing mixture i have used 44%coir/21%verm/35% crushed oyster shell saturated with 7.6 Ph tap water until it just barely dripped with a good squeeze. My casings are layered 1/2 inch casing material at the bottom followed by 1 inch substrate and finally another 1/2 at the top.

like i said go read some more about casing mixes

ohh and you might want to cover the sides of your tubs so that you don't end up with side pinning, that is if the do pin.

OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
Re: Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics [Re: backupwards]
    #4534056 - 08/14/05 04:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ive asked for guidance not arrogant /rude scrutiny.
And i see that you still have not read my EDITED POST.... Since Civ pointed out my error in termonology it now reads.
"My casings are layered 1/2 inch casing material at the bottom followed by 1 inch 100% colonized spawn and finally another 1/2inch casing at the top "

Edited by Justlookin0 (08/14/05 04:20 PM)

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4534083 - 08/14/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Justlookin0 said:
In my (sterilized)casing mixture i have used 44%coir/21%verm/35% crushed oyster shell

here is your -------, i had was not talkin about your casing layers.
oh and used like you did it is not spawn it is the substrate.
apparently you didn't read the posts very closely just like you read the casing teks

po

Edited by backupwards (08/14/05 04:53 PM)

OfflineJabberw0cky
Misanthropist

Loc: Colorado - The asshole of...
    #4534096 - 08/14/05 04:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hey, now. Let's all just smoke a bowl and get along.

--------------------
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.
Once upon a looking glass...

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Re: Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics [Re: Jabberw0cky]
    #4534109 - 08/14/05 04:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

hey i have no probs, it is he that wanted his flaws pointed out and so i did and he don't like it very much.
oh well, wish i could join you on that bowl but i am at work.
peace

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
    #4534121 - 08/14/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Justlookin0 said:

i've always thought this was true as well......

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

Edited by ShroomArtist84 (08/14/05 04:24 PM)

OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
Re: Casing Incubation / Overall Strategy / With high resolution pics [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4534165 - 08/14/05 04:37 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Now Now, backupwards....There's no need for your potty mouth in this thread. Plus make a little more sense before you enter your post.Even better... Please stay out of this thread if you have nothing constructive to say.
Thankyou

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4534197 - 08/14/05 04:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

haha, thats funny you went and edited out your potty mouth, lmfao.
tryin to look like the nice guy now, thats cool.
as far as constructive things to say, already said and i think you know it.

good luck with your casing

peace to the rest

Edited by backupwards (08/14/05 04:54 PM)

OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
    #4534225 - 08/14/05 04:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes i did edit my own vulgar language out after i had made the post. I found it to be quite inappropriate after reading my post a second time. Why don't you do the same backupwards.

InvisibleThinkPink
Cheese Farmer
 User Gallery
    #4534245 - 08/14/05 04:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Man o man, you guys fight like women. Ive never gotten a black eye over the internet, but idk.... Anyway, heres the first consructive thing on this post, where are the mods when you need them to clean up the baby shit....

Casing

--------------------
I tripped and fell into a revolution

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4534249 - 08/14/05 04:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

done.
Now we can be civil again?
peace

OfflineJustlookin0
Stranger
    #4534254 - 08/14/05 04:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

thankyou backupward....That was very noble of you.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation