Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
How much HEAT does colonizing poo really produce ?
    #4528307 - 08/13/05 01:01 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

O.K. Like a lot of folks on here, I've jumped on the poo wagon. Am very glad I did. Size and potency is well worth the extra effort :thumbup: Thanks for being so persistent and talking me into it agar,lol.

I went right from BRF cakes to poo. Never cased any grains . Spawned my first WBS jars I made. I lost my first 3 poo casings due to too hot incubating temps. For some reason no one really told me about all the internal heat poo can create and what core temps. might reach. Fermentation did them in. I had success with my next few and was really looking forward to getting some more going :grin:

I just completed the prep work for a new grow

and decided I wanted to know exactly what temps my size casings were reaching in the center. I use 16 quart sweater boxes. You'll notice they're clear. I have an equal stack of them with aluminum foil between them put up to the side. I listened to something Diver said about being able to actually see if everything is colonizing and decided to leave them like this while incubating. I'll place them in the others when I fruit them. I ran one of the temp probes into the center of one of the casings. I picked one kinda in the middle as I figured this would be the hottest one.

I heard to incubate them between 70 - 75 degrees F.

This might not be such a good idea. As the poo seems to be creating enough heat to warm a small Eskimo village,lol.

The top reading is the temp at the core, 94.1 degrees

the bottom is the ambient room temp. of the incubating room, 75.9 degrees. A difference of 18.2 degrees. That's a lot. After it's 100% colonized do the temps drop ? Guess I'll find out,lol, why am I asking you guys, I'm the one with the temp sensor in it,lol.

They must or it would be real hard to get a 10 degree temp drop to initiate pinning. The temp in my greenhouse is higher then what I'm incubating these at,lol.

Well, I'll keep you all posted as to what the temps do. I'll monitor the temps all the way through fruiting. I think a lot of peeps may be having some trouble with poo due to high temps, I know I did.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much HEAT does colonizing poo really produce ? [Re: HippieChick]
    #4528406 - 08/13/05 01:34 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The temp does drop once the mycelium stops eating the poo. Its all the action going on that causes it to heat up..once its done..temps should drop. Very nice little pictorial and experiment..a small but important factor that if overlooked can quickly lead to failure.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #4528433 - 08/13/05 01:40 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

While I cannot be any help to you in answering a quantitative "How much Heat," but that may be relative anyway. I can make a few suggestions based only on what I can see in the pics. (like the Hooters sweatshirt!) It looks to me like you're stacking the incubating trays directly on top of and next to each other. That will act like a thermal insulator, generating and holding it's own heat. The first thing that will help drop your temps is to space the tubs out. Leave space between every tub, on every side of the tub (except the bottom which will lay on your shelf). At the very least two inches in between tubs on the same shelf. Next if you can position an oscillating fan to blow the room/ ambient temps from the room/closet around the sides of the tub (think aerodynamics like car moving through the air). This will pull the heat generated by the tubs away from the sides, and allow for cool air to encase the tubs. The core temps will still be higher, but in the range of 5-10 degrees F higher than ambient aside from the occasional heat spikes that can occur during spawn run.
I saw a post by Blue Helix in which he had a temp probe in the substrate, and when core temps reached a certain point (80 F + or something ), the fan turned on to cool his incubation area. He may be able to help you create something like this to monitor your substrate temps to the exact degree if you want that level of control (heck , I'd like that level of control, maybe he can post a tek to exactly what he did and used, etc.).
Now once the spawn run is complete I believe that the heating issues should be over. The heat is a thermogenesis created by the mycelial expansion throughout the substrate. Once complete, your chance of heat spikes is reduced. I know a grower in Africa, and at their farm, the substrate is colonized in bags with space around each substrate bag (they grow in plastic bags, 1 foot long 6in diameter cylindrical "logs" of composted wood chips/sawdust). Once the bags are colonized 100%, they are moved to a fruiting room and stacked one on top of the other. This makes a virtual wall of colonized bags. This leads me to believe that you have less to fear from proximity related heat issues once the sub is 100% colonized.

I know from experience that when I spawn logs of Pleurotus djamor (pink oyster), and place them right next to each other, and on top of each other, that in several hours (12-48) the logs are warm to hot to the touch. I kinda freaked when I felt that. I placed each log separately on shelves and did just what I told you, placed a few fans oscillating the air in the incubation room. This dropped the substrate temps of the bags to cool to the touch. Not too accurate, but it illustrated the point to me live and in color. Okay I'll stop now.
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much HEAT does colonizing poo really produce ? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4528438 - 08/13/05 01:41 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks Scat, how's it going ?

I know it did me. I just checked the temps and the room is 72 and the core is 94.5

Is that temp gonna do them in, or is the mycelium used to a little extra heat while going through aggressive growth. Do I need to worry about lowering them some how ?

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Male User Gallery

#4528458 - 08/13/05 01:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

No it won't kill it immediately, mycelial death is around 106 F. However, I would worry about trying to cool them, as the temperature at this stage will have a great effect on the performance later, but I worry about everything! Great pics!
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much HEAT does colonizing poo really produce ? [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4528475 - 08/13/05 01:54 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, you mean like this,

already been done.

The trays are currently spaced 3/4" apart, couldn't really see in that pic, love that PVC

Can easily make it 2". I'll give that a try.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Male User Gallery

#4528613 - 08/13/05 02:32 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

So you already had the fan going and with it the temps were as you posted? HMMMM. Spacing farther will definitely help, especially with the fan. I can see you're limited on space, but the farther you can get em the better, maybe even put some on the floor on top of some plastic sheeting, or trash bags...
And my next thought, is to run an ultrasonic humidifier in the room, it may help drop your temps some, especially with ice in the water resivoir.
Forget that, I just looked at your pic again, your circuit breaker is right there in the room! You don't want any high humidity in there. I'm not much help here, sorry!
Light and Love
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much HEAT does colonizing poo really produce ? [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4529813 - 08/13/05 12:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, those temps are ok for peaks I think, but I'd worry about lowering them as well, as best you can. Another thing I like to do, is rotate my stacks...I do mine like this:

But I move the bottom ones to the top and top ones to the bottom every day or two. If you move the center ones to the outside and vice verse, it should help keep them even, as well as spreading them out and such...I think you should be ok as long as you keep trying to keep them cool..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinecamplo
Freedom!

#8127677 - 03/10/08 04:24 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

What is the dept on your poopoo?

--------------------
:three:

Invisiblemskip23
Can It All Be So Simple!
 User Gallery

Loc: Philly
Re: How much HEAT does colonizing poo really produce ? [Re: camplo]
    #8127809 - 03/10/08 04:57 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

wow this is an old thread

--------------------
url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/05-26/988356075-Picture-278.gif][/url

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: How much HEAT does colonizing poo really produce ? [Re: mskip23]
    #8128232 - 03/10/08 06:44 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

talk about waking the dead. lol

--------------------
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much HEAT does colonizing poo really produce ? [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8128445 - 03/10/08 07:49 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

It's a good one to bring back. We still hear people giving that horrible advice to use an 'incubator' set at 86F. Disinformation dies hard.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation