Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL]
    #4517755 - 08/10/05 10:37 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Man killed by Sunrise police in drug raid had 2 ounces of marijuana
August 10, 2005 - sun-sentinel.com

SUNRISE -- Police seized 2 ounces of marijuana at the home of Anthony Diotaiuto after shooting him 10 times, according to information on the drug raid released Tuesday.

Also Tuesday, while many friends and relatives of the 23-year-old bartender and student mourned him at a Davie funeral home, others appeared at a Sunrise City Commission meeting to demand an explanation for the fatal raid.

"Do 2 ounces of marijuana constitute a death warrant?" asked Sunrise resident William de Larm, a friend of Diotaiuto's.

Earlier, police officials released a summary of the information they used to obtain the search warrant, listed what was seized from the house, and detailed what police say happened between Diotaiuto and SWAT officers Friday morning.

Neighbors and family dispute those details.

Diotaiuto, 23, was killed hours after he got home from work by a SWAT team looking for drugs. Friends and family say Diotaiuto worked two jobs, went to church regularly, and was dedicated to giving himself and his mother, Marlene Whittier, a better life.

Lt. Robert Voss, spokesman for the Sunrise Police Department, gave this account of the raid:

The SWAT team knocked on Diotaiuto's door and "announc[ed] their presence" before smashing in his door about 6:15 a.m. They found Diotaiuto in his living room and ordered him to "freeze" and get on the ground.

Instead, Voss said, Diotaiuto fled to his bedroom and "armed himself" with a loaded handgun. Voss said it is unclear whether Diotaiuto pointed the gun at officers.

Officers Sean Visners and Andre Bruna shot Diotaiuto dead. They shot him 10 times, leaving wounds to his head, chest, torso and limbs, according to Broward Medical Examiner Joshua Perper.

In addition to the marijuana, Voss said, officers seized plastic bags and weight scales from Diotaiuto's home. Possession of 2 ounces of marijuana is a felony, according to state statutes.

The officers' personnel records were not available Tuesday, but Visners has been with Sunrise since 1997 and on the SWAT team since 1999, Voss said. He was Officer of the Month for May 2000. Bruna has been with the department since 1999 and on the SWAT team since 2001.

Voss said both officers have no history of disciplinary problems, and neither has been involved in any previous shootings. They are on paid leave pending an investigation.

Neighbors who said they were up at 6:15 a.m. when the raid occurred said they heard the crash of the front door being smashed, but no yelling announcing the presence of police.

Rudy Strauss, Diotaiuto's next-door neighbor, came to his window when his wife noticed the SWAT team descend on the house in the sleepy Sunrise Golf Village. No words were exchanged outside Diotaiuto's home, he said.

"I heard this loud bang, and I saw a flash," Strauss said Tuesday. "I never heard them say `Police.' If somebody were pounding on the door, I would definitely hear that, or if they yelled, `Police, police!'"

The Police Department also gave a brief description of the information that led to the search warrant. Voss said that the department had the house under surveillance and made at least one "controlled" drug purchase there. Voss did not have more details about the search warrant.

The police version did little to allay anger at the department's handling of the raid.

"Nothing adds up," Brian Kickbush, Whittier's boyfriend, said during the visitation at Fred Hunter Funeral Home. "If they announced themselves, I guess all the neighbors are all liars."

At the Sunrise meeting, 15 people stood, many wearing black armbands adorned with a golden heart, as de Larm told the five-member commission about how Diotaiuto was planning his first real vacation. The trip would have included a visit to his 91-year-old grandmother.

"Now, she has to come to Florida to bury her 23-year-old grandson," de Larm said, as family members and friends wept behind him.

Saying the shooting made him ashamed to be a Sunrise resident, de Larm said the officers had too much aggression and too little judgment, using a search warrant and Diotaiuto's weapon permit to create an encounter far too likely to have the tragic outcome it did.

Mayor Steve Feren declined to address the allegations directly, saying the incident has yet to be fully investigated. The response was not what Diotaiuto's family had hoped to hear.

"We did not get what we expected," said Sarah Spivey, a cousin of Diotaiuto's who came to Florida from Washington state after the shooting. "We wanted our side of the story to be heard. Anthony was a good person and he's being portrayed as a criminal."

Her cousin would never have responded the way police said he did if the officers clearly identified themselves, she said, and the information released by the department left her with little faith in whatever investigation the Sunrise police might conduct.

"They had their minds made up about my cousin before they even went into the house," she said.

Voss said that people should be patient as the Police Department and the Broward State Attorney's Office investigate the matter.

"The department grieves for the family. We grieve for our officers, too. Taking a human life isn't easy to do," Voss said. "It will be investigated."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: veggie]
    #4517931 - 08/10/05 11:30 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

fucking ridiculous. Cops bust into someones house with their guns drawn and honest citizens try to defend themselves and are left dead in a hail of gunfire.

InvisibleMasonsChild
Fellow Traveler>^..^<

Loc: Upper Midwest
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4518518 - 08/10/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I bet they were all wearing ski masks, looking like robbers.

--------------------
Truckin' ain't for Sally's

Invisiblebwalker
The BodyElectric
Loc: NJ, USA
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: MasonsChild]
    #4518759 - 08/10/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"We grieve for our officers, too. Taking a human life isn't easy to do," Voss said.

I think the officers demonstrated quite the opposite.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: bwalker]
    #4521145 - 08/11/05 03:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well isnt that just great..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4521291 - 08/11/05 05:56 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Fuck the police !!!

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #4523559 - 08/11/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Man killed by Sunrise police in drug raid had 2 ounces of marijuana
August 10, 2005 - sun-sentinel.com

Lt. Robert Voss, spokesman for the Sunrise Police Department, gave this account of the raid:

The SWAT team knocked on Diotaiuto's door and "announc[ed] their presence" before smashing in his door about 6:15 a.m. They found Diotaiuto in his living room and ordered him to "freeze" and get on the ground.

Instead, Voss said, Diotaiuto fled to his bedroom and "armed himself" with a loaded handgun. Voss said it is unclear whether Diotaiuto pointed the gun at officers.

Let me get this straight. The police announced their presence and the guy just sits on his couch and waits until they bust in to go get his gun.

No way. He would have been in his room before they got the door open if he intended to kill cops. I bet that this poor sap was just sitting there and all of the sudden his door is knocked in. He doesn't wait to see who it is and goes for his gun to protect himself.

I were ever to awake to find people in my house they'd probably end up shooting my ass too.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4523680 - 08/11/05 07:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The name is misleading, since they didn't shoot him because of the pot. They shot him because he ran and armed himself with a loaded handgun.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: bwalker]
    #4524489 - 08/11/05 11:21 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Its not easy.

Just point and squeeze...

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: Ravus]
    #4525873 - 08/12/05 09:07 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

FOR 2 ounces of pot, not because. This is utterly ridiculous. We should call local morning radio stations with these sort of news story's and try to sway the public opinion about drug laws.

Real scientific studies indicated marijuana causes no permanent damage to the brain. In fact, they can really only say it causes lung cancer (i know -- that isnt good), and short-term memory problems (which go away after THC cannibinoids are out of your system).

So the only real valid argument is it increases crime rate, thus, should be illegal. But, thats circular reasoning; if it were legal it wouldnt be illegal so no crime would be committed in the first place.

Bah... ignorance.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlinesander
learning

Loc: MA and IA
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: psyka]
    #4527309 - 08/12/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
In fact, they can really only say it causes lung cancer (i know -- that isnt good

actually we just proved that one wrong too. (http://www.counterpunch.org/gardner07022005.html)

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
    #4528098 - 08/12/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:

Can someone tell me, who the fuck in their right mind would point a gun at SWAT officers with fucking submachine guns, fingers on the trigger, pointing straight at you. Either this guy had a death wish or these cops are fucking shady and im pretty damn sure its the latter.

Fuck tha police. :mad2:

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #4534018 - 08/14/05 01:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

fucking stupid ass bullshit in my opinon.

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

InvisibleMushroom_Mike
AGAPE LOVE

Loc: Australia
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4534979 - 08/14/05 06:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

even if it happened like the cops said, 10 shots, some head shots at that, are not fucking necessary. they could have shot his legs up if anything, they didnt need to kill him. They have fucking body armor, and all this guy supposedly had was a hand gun?

i smell a fucking coverup, someone just stashed a gun in the home, i dont even believe there was a gun to be honest, they put one there to cover asses.

the people in the world are going to get worse and worse, this is merely the beginning of the drama yet to come, just wait. :shake:

--------------------

always remember.... to respect the fungus!:awesomenod::inlove3:

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: Mushroom_Mike]
    #4536256 - 08/14/05 11:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mushroom_Mike said:
even if it happened like the cops said, 10 shots, some head shots at that, are not fucking necessary. they could have shot his legs up if anything, they didnt need to kill him. They have fucking body armor, and all this guy supposedly had was a hand gun?\

When you feel your life is threatened then you shoot for the most fatal areas you can (I practice with a double tap to the body followed by a shot to the head) and you don't stop shooting until the threat is completely neutralized. I see nothing at all wrong here. It is stupid to aim for the legs because a lucky head shot by the threat is very possible. To me it sounds like the cops did exactly what they should do. If the cops knock at your door then you need to surrender quickly.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: SWAT team shoots man 10 times for 2oz pot [FL] [Re: Mushroom_Mike]
    #4536920 - 08/15/05 05:16 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

> they could have shot his legs up if anything, they didnt need to kill him.

Cops are trained to kill, not to injure. The only time they are supposed to shoot is when their life is in danger. When their life is in danger, they shoot to remove the danger to their life, which means they shoot to kill.

> To me it sounds like the cops did exactly what they should do. If the cops knock at your door then you need to surrender quickly.

The problem here is that the cops never knocked at the door, they simply burst in, guns drawn ready to shoot. I doubt the guy ever realized that they were cops before he was murdered. Had the cops followed proper procedure, then I would probably agree with you, but in this case the cops ignored procedure and somebody died as a result. If I ignore procedure and, for example drive home drunk, and accidently kill somebody along the way, I end up in jail. I can only hope the same happens to the cops in this case, though somehow I doubt that will happen.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains