Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Canada
some 35mm photo scans
    #4527983 - 08/12/05 10:28 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

My mother knows I am hunting mushrooms so she photographed a couple mushrooms growing in Winnipeg Canada last spring. I think she did pretty good. I told her how to make a spore print so she can do that next time. I have included a clipped scan of the mushrooms she found.
The first one seems to be the common meadow mushroom, Agaricus campestris.

Growing in grass, the white silky cap, and slightly tapering stalk should do it.
There is not enough info here for a formal id on the second one, but I want to ask about general strategy when you see a mushroom like the second one, growing on a lawn. (Sorry no habitat info was provided!)

The caps are about 3-5 cm, it would appear from the grass blades. Gill spacing is fairly wide. They are adnexed or slightly sinuate. The stalk seems to taper upward, and is scaly toward the base.
What I would really like to ask someone is this. Can you guess at the spore color by looking at the color of the gills? If so, what kind of spores might this mushroom have? (I sometimes can see the spores on mushrooms when the caps above them overlap, but are there any OTHER ways to guess?)
The caps are not completely round.
Just looking at them, what genus would you put them in?
Thanks for your patience.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: some 35mm photo scans [Re: wallace]
    #4528020 - 08/12/05 10:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yup that looks like an agaricus, though I doubt it's campestris, the gills seem really light for that species and it's a bit stretched out compared to the ones I've seen.  Leucoagaricus naucinus maybe?

for the second ones, my general strategy would be to take note of the habitat, get a spore print and go from there.  the spore color and gill color do not necessarily correllate, so you should always take prints to be sure.  sometimes you can see spore deposits on the lower caps in a cluster of mushrooms and tell the color that way though, like you mentioned.  I don't think there is any other way to tell, short of actually printing them.

but I can tell you right now I suspect they'll print white and are likely to be Marasmius oreades :wink:... 

try to tear the stems apart from opposite ends, they should be very tough and fibrous.

Loc: Canada
Re: some 35mm photo scans [Re: spores]
    #4529654 - 08/13/05 11:06 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I am going to track down the agaricus mushroom tomorrow, but the M. oreades looks perfect. I am going to send the Tom Volk page to my Ma. Hell, she can bird-watch, I think she can be converted to fungi. It is kind of shitty of me but secretly I was hoping that she was going to prove to me that P. subbalteatus grow on the harsh Canadian prairies.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification