Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
Should I Scrap the Crap?
    #4527740 - 08/12/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hey,
I will be doing a casing shortly and have been thinking about mixing my straw with cow manure in an attempt to increase potency a little hopefully.  I am using cow instead of horse as I have a huge bag of it already.  Here's the thing...I purchased it at a garden center, and am assumming it is probably processed.  Is cow manure usually processed?  If so, is it even worth using, or should I just use straw. Thanks :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should I Scrap the Crap? [Re: bemmers1]
    #4527820 - 08/12/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Store bought bagged cow manure is most often a poor substrate. Some have luck with certain brands, from certain regions. Most do not.

Adding chopped straw (which by itself is not near an optimal substrate), will give the mix a better texture, but that means nothing -if- the cow manure (you use)isn't any good.

Try to find some weather aged horse manure, with muffins still intact - that has no smell to speak of - other than like good garden soil.

You will have a LOT BETTER results.

--------------------

OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Loc: USA
Re: Should I Scrap the Crap? [Re: bemmers1]
    #4527824 - 08/12/05 07:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Straw offers few nutrients, and potency as well as yield depends in large part on the nutrients available. Cured (i.e. dried) horse manure contains straw in just the right amount. Straw is mixed with cow manure, as I understand it, to lighten it up to facilitate myc growth. Cubensis mushrooms evolved to digest ruminant manure that is rich in nitrogen. Straw has little or no nitrogen, I believe.

OfflineInsight
Just a thought
Re: Should I Scrap the Crap? [Re: Silly_Cyben]
    #4527829 - 08/12/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Living in a big city, the only type of crap I am able to get my hands on is Black Kow brand, and in my experience, it is truly crap! I usually end up added some coir, coffee and castings to it to help improve yield.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags