Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerachsrib
To fly you mustjump and forgetto hit theground

mist maker
    #4526573 - 08/12/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I was wondering if one of those mist makers for fountains would work as a humidifier for a terrarium, it would be nice because it is so small and would fit right in my terrarium.

--------------------
"My father once said: If your afraid to die, make yourself hard to kill."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mist maker [Re: rachsrib]
    #4526582 - 08/12/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

They're calld ultrasonic humidifiers, can be found cheap on ebay, and there is lots of info on the board about them, now that you know the name. It will require a timer as they put out incredible amounts of mist, to much to be left on all the time..and it wont provide fresh air exchange..but for humidity, they are great.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinerachsrib

Re: mist maker [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4526847 - 08/12/05 03:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks, so you have heard of people using them before. i have a timer and did notice that the mist was very heavy and sank to the bottom. od you think that this will be a problem with the mist maker. and just so that we are not getting confused about what i am talking about here is a link to one i found.
web page

--------------------

Edited by rachsrib (08/12/05 03:10 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4526858 - 08/12/05 03:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I use one personally and many do here..as I said, a search will reveal it. The mist is heavy, however it should only be on for 15-30 minutes every 2-4 hours...just as a small boost of mist..basically an automatic mister for you.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinerachsrib

#4526866 - 08/12/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

sorry to sound stupid but i just want to make sure that we are not talking about like a vicks ultrasonic humidifier this is what i am talking about.
http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4526923 - 08/12/05 03:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

well, not so sure that would work, unless you build something to house it and pump the mist into the chamber. i don't think i would use it in a fruiting chamber.
it says it has to be submerged so i guess you could try it in a pmp type fc but then you would still be needing fresh air exchanges.
a coolmist and or ultrasonic would work better imo, a pmp would have an air pump giving you humidity and FAE at the same time.

there again you can always give it a try and see what happens.

good luck
peace

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4526935 - 08/12/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you check the link to my signature "turning your closet into a fruiting chamber", I dont picture the fogger, but I show the cord of it running into my Vicks Cool Mist...and I even have the exact link you just posted in my post, because thats the exact one I ordered, from them. It is the same thing as any other ultrasnoic humidifier..thats just called a fogger, because it doesnt come with the water tank. You just put it in a bowl of water in the chamber.

--------------------

Offlinerachsrib

#4527171 - 08/12/05 04:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

cool, so it has worked for you thus far? i didnt really want to mess with the vicks style humidifiers because i have heard a lot about them burning out. putting one of these into a bowl of water in a fruiting chamber will hopefully work

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4527182 - 08/12/05 04:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well yeah, but the Vicks pictured is different from a fogger..a Vicks cool mist provides air exchange...this will only provide humidity, and to much if you dont have some good air exchange (automatic prefered, like a cool mist or fish pump)

--------------------

Offlinerachsrib

#4527233 - 08/12/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah i have lava rocks with air stones underneath of it, i was just haveing problems with humidity, it is dry in colorado especially with the AC on

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4527238 - 08/12/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like you should be golden then :smile: Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you.

--------------------

Offlinerachsrib

#4527243 - 08/12/05 04:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the advice

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4527512 - 08/12/05 05:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Testing a MistMaker in a 12 quart tray.

Testing a MistMaker in a 1 gallon jug

They throw out a HUGE amount of FOG.

If you get one, get the single one & the splash guard.

You need to have a timer that will turn OFF/ON in very small time increments. Like 5 minutes every 2 to 4 hours - depending on the size & style of your fruiting chamber.

Beware, these things throw out a HUGE amount of moisture, in a very short time. You can actually flood trays & the substrate gets soggy. Myc doesn't like WET FEET.

Used with a small oscillating fan, they work great in LARGE fruiting chamber. Also, fog is so thick, it tends to fall almost straight down, unless you have a fan in with it, to blow the fog around - so - it is more evenly dispersed.

--------------------

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: mist maker [Re: agar]
    #4528315 - 08/12/05 11:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I use two of the 5 disc misters from that same site in a homemade self filling 35 + gallon reservoir. With an oscillating fan angled upwards slightly to push the fog up and out of the reservoir, this humidifies a 325 sq ft. area about 6-7 ft. high very well. I have HEPA filtered fresh air ducted into the room constantly. An active exhaust fan is timed antagonistically with the mister timer, so that the room fills with fog for 30 minutes, and then the fog is sucked out by the active exhaust after the mister turns off. I don't have the misters timed to the minute, though I could. I am currently running the misters every 30 minutes (oscillating fan goes off and on with misters), and exhausting every 1.5 hrs. I was having so much air exchange that I needed to let the CO 2 build for little while, or the mushrooms were showing signs of CO2 toxicity (abnormal cap:stem ratios, etc. - in this case large stems, small caps. While not a bad situation, still reduced overall yields.
So yes. my 2 cents is they work, and work great.
Also I've seen the Hydrofogger (google it) used at Penn State Mushroom Research Facility, and at Kennett Square Specialty Mushrooms, they used a unit from Korea that was very similar. I think they all use ultrasonic/piezoelectric discs that are water atomizers. The Hydrofogger just connects to a hose and humidifies an area that seemed much larger like 2000-3000 sq.ft. Oh, I use R/O water with the foggers and then I clean them with white vinegar on Q-tips after every cycle in the fruiting rooms.
Hope that helps.
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis
P.S. I had horrible experiences with store bought cool mist humidifiers. They'd always burn out in two weeks. I got tired of returning them to stores!

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix