Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
are you a 'people person'?
    #4527063 - 08/12/05 06:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm so tired of being asked this question at job interviews. Once, some guy asked me if I was a people person, and this is what I told him:

'Basically, I see the phrase 'people person', especially when used in a business context, as a euphemism for 'manipulative psychotic'. You see, basically what being a 'people person' means to me is twofold: a) you are manipulative enough to get what you want out of people, and b) you are psychotic enough not to care about the immorality of misrepresenting yourself.'

at which point the interviewer told me I was not the best candidate for the position. So I said:

'Gee, maybe if I had been more dishonest with you about my opinion, we would have gotten along better. Thanks for proving my point, you phony asshole.'

'People person'. This phrase seems to be the genesis of such asinine policies as the 'everyone working behind the counter at CiCi's Pizza has to drop everything they are doing the moment you walk in and say 'Hi, thanks for coming to CiCi's', as if they think that contrived attempt at cordiality is going to fool me. Do the corporate dickheads that write these policies know how fucking annoyingly fake that looks?

happy happy joy joy, all the fucking time. nevermind the fact that you are making $7 an hour in a greasy-ass kitchen cooking pizzas. Pretty soon we're gonna have smile police walking down the streets, making sure that everyone thinks happy thoughts all the time, because the punishment for sadness, anger, and frustration in corporate america is death by slow starvation.

no, I'm not a people person, because I live in REALITY, which encompasses a whole spectrum of good and bad, fear and hope, hate and love. I don't live in some McDonald's commercial fantasy land where everyone is happy all the time. And quite frankly, I find it highly annoying that the powers that be are constantly trying to cram this unrealistic bullshit down my and everyone's throats. It makes people that more impatient and cranky when their little advertising-induced bubble is broken by the needles of the real world.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #4527081 - 08/12/05 06:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Are you trying to tell me that your happy meals DONT make you happy?!?!

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4527084 - 08/12/05 06:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I work at that type of place where I have to go up to EVERYONE and ask if i can help them, if theyre looking for anything, if they want to become a member, laugh at their corny jokes, etc etc.

It's lame, but whatever, money is money, and as much as I hate green energy, it makes the society im currently in go round :frown:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: Shroomism]
    #4527088 - 08/12/05 06:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

they make me happy

I love the toy

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4527098 - 08/12/05 06:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

did you expect to be hired?

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: dblaney]
    #4527109 - 08/12/05 06:10 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I always take great pleasure in telling people that come up to me in the store asking if I need help that if I needed help, I would have asked THEM. I mean, I know its not their fault, its just some disconnected superiors' idea of a way to 'improve customer service', but I for one find it highly annoying when my shopping is interrupted by 9 different employees getting all up in my scene. Some of us are not so desperate for human contact that we have to get it from the meat cutter at the freaking grocery store.

when i worked at one of those places, I hated doing that shit, and I hate to see other people being forced to do it, too. Its very unimpressive and annoying.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: goobler]
    #4527115 - 08/12/05 06:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I hate being nice to people I don't like!

BTW that's one of the better descriptions for a people person i've heard.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4527119 - 08/12/05 06:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Eh, in reality, I don't see too many people taking such "policies" in all grim grave seriousness. Alot of those rules are simply variants - sometimes exaggerated - of basic common courtesy.

Really, it's the people who've acted like they have a license to behave like an asshole that initiated and perpetuate the motions to create such policies, red tape and so on. And I'm not talking about the occasional zombie-esque, disenchanted, apathetic hamburger flipper and waiter/waitress.. It's the people who've truly jeopardized the companies they work for by actually being disrespectful towards the customers of the businesses that fuel such aforementioned approaches in administration.
If none of those people ever existed, then there would also be the lack of those protocols. They are both mutually arising.

Anyway, as I said before.. there will always be alot of those rules which are more roars than bites of the Lion, if you catch my drift. As long as you maintain the basics of common courtesy and general respect, you don't have anything to worry about.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: Vvellum]
    #4527121 - 08/12/05 06:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
did you expect to be hired?

hell no. but thats exactly my point. social niceties are canned dishonesty. If some HR guy decides to hire the most cordial (and therefore most dishonest) person he interviews, well then good luck with that! I'm sure that company will go real far, with workers sticking their heads so far up the customer and eachother's asses that they never end up getting any actual WORK done.

--------------------

InvisibleMeatSpace
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: dblaney]
    #4527125 - 08/12/05 06:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dblaney18 said:
I work at that type of place where I have to go up to EVERYONE and ask if i can help them, if theyre looking for anything, if they want to become a member, laugh at their corny jokes, etc etc.

It's lame, but whatever, money is money, and as much as I hate green energy, it makes the society im currently in go round :frown:

^^^ makes me love my cozy lil' job at the Double Bouble!

I watch people do laundry and make fun of the rude people  behing my 2-way mirror in a locked office!

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

Loc: upstate, SC
    #4527130 - 08/12/05 06:14 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

:yourock:

Thats awesome you said that to the boss, if i had been him i would have hired you, but then again my company probably would not have any money because i would hire good people and not good workers  :confused:

--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4527148 - 08/12/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:
Anyway, as I said before.. there will always be alot of those rules which are more roars than bites of the Lion, if you catch my drift. As long as you maintain the basics of common courtesy and general respect, you don't have anything to worry about.

every policy like that is just another technicality they can bust you on, another rule they can selectively enforce against every subordinate that doesn't kiss their ass. Remember, its not just employees that sometimes act as if they have 'a liscense to be an asshole'. A lot of times its the supervisors who act this way too: towards their employees.

--------------------

OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

Loc: upstate, SC
    #4527156 - 08/12/05 06:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Some of us are not so desperate for human contact that we have to get it from the meat cutter at the freaking grocery store.

:eek: I am  :eek:

--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

Edited by SerioOria (08/12/05 06:22 PM)

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4527180 - 08/12/05 06:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Remember, its not just employees that sometimes act as if they have 'a liscense to be an asshole'. A lot of times its the supervisors who act this way too: towards their employees.

True. Although I wouldn't worry too much about that either. Most people's dispositions are on average.. precisely that - average. In other words, the two extreme polar opposites in the spectrum of psychological well-being are of the less common variety, and most of the populace lies somewhere in the middle. That isn't to say that any of those "middlers" won't have the occasional swing to either ends of the spectrum - we've all had days when we tied our shoes on too tight or had a bad face day, of course.

I would approach this concern with a case-by-case strategy, and let in remain in the periphery, rather than prioritize the concern into a neurotic shield that blocks you from getting the kind of job you'd actually like to have.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4527235 - 08/12/05 06:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
I always take great pleasure in telling people that come up to me in the store asking if I need help that if I needed help, I would have asked THEM. I mean, I know its not their fault, its just some disconnected superiors' idea of a way to 'improve customer service', but I for one find it highly annoying when my shopping is interrupted by 9 different employees getting all up in my scene. Some of us are not so desperate for human contact that we have to get it from the meat cutter at the freaking grocery store.

when i worked at one of those places, I hated doing that shit, and I hate to see other people being forced to do it, too. Its very unimpressive and annoying.

wow - you're a dick for taking out your frustrations on someone just trying to earn a buck at some crap job. Jeez, if you dont like sales associates, just nod and be on your way - not give me an attitude for something they have little control over.

You sound miserable.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4527244 - 08/12/05 06:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

why should they hire someone who is an asshole to complete strangers (i.e. you)?

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: Vvellum]
    #4527287 - 08/12/05 06:54 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
wow - you're a dick for taking out your frustrations on someone just trying to earn a buck at some crap job. Jeez, if you dont like sales associates, just nod and be on your way - not give me an attitude for something they have little control over.

You sound miserable.

You know...I understand where DoctorJ is coming from...but I agree with you wholeheartedly here. If you don't like sales associates who are required by their bosses to go up and talk with you for a few seconds, then that's fine and respectable, but I don't see any need to go out of your way to be inconsiderate with them.

It's not a matter of human contact (though there are a few customers who will come in to the store and just talk your ear off...rather entertaining actually), it's more a matter of convenience. If you can't find something, employees can help you find it. If you'd rather look for yourself, then just say so.

Anyways, sorry for being critical, it just hits home with me because I pretty much am the employee DoctorJ is hating on.

--------------------

- John Mayer

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Canada
    #4527292 - 08/12/05 06:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well being that I've often been the guy hiring in past jobs I do see that question, albeit stupid, being necessary.

See you want to hire someone that isn't going to piss off the rest of the current staff, people who arent sociable and join sociable staffs will stick out like a sore thumb and will either quit or be fired.

Its more about finding the right people to work together IMO, that question I don't ever ask but when it comes to chosing a person to fit in with staff I certainly would ask lots of questions regarding social things to get a sense of how that person will get along with others.

But if I hear the phrase "Think outside the Box" or "Team Player" I will bring an Uzi to work and kill all the bitches!  :grin:

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: MeatSpace]
    #4527300 - 08/12/05 06:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MeatSpace said:
^^^ makes me love my cozy lil' job at the Double Bouble!

I watch people do laundry and make fun of the rude people behing my 2-way mirror in a locked office!

Sounds like an awesome job you've got! Does it pay well?

I'm glad you realize you have a not-so-bad-job. I have some friends who are paid to sit on their ass, play computer games, skateboard (work for a skatepark) and occassionally ask people to fill out forms or give them gear. And they actually complain about their job! lol

--------------------

- John Mayer

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: are you a 'people person'? [Re: DoctorJ] * 1
    #4527334 - 08/12/05 07:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

It's called being polite. Not being an asshole when you're in a bad mood isn't dishonesty, it's courtesy. Nobody likes having to deal with someone who bitches, complains, and takes out their problems on other people. Being a prick when things are going badly for you just passes your misery onto other people.

Some people thrive on their own misery. They refuse to even try to make the best of a bad situation and just act like the whole world is out to get them. That annoys the piss out of me, if you want to be happier, try, don't sit and bitch about it.

You think that companies that hire people who are able to act nice aren't going to get far? Open your eyes, there aren't any successful companies that make it their policy to hire miserable assholes. Believe it or not, being nice to the customers works.

If someone is rude and acts like its a huge chore to have to deal with me, then I'm not going to want to use their services again.

It's nice that you have the luxury to be able to dick around in job interviews and go off on preachy little morality rants, perhaps someone who actually needs the job will be able to get it now.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub