Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebakerisme
Ex-Patriate fromSanity
Sterilizing jars
    #4527048 - 08/12/05 05:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I've been doing as much research as I can on the subject, but if someone could clrify this for me definetively that would be great:

I only have a big stock pot (not a pressure cooker) that said on the box when purchsed that it was intended for canning. So I plan on filling my mason jar (1 pint wide mouth Ball) with substrate, punching holes in the lid, then lightly screw on the rim, cover the holes in a medical tape, then on top of all that press a layer of aluminum foil over the top of the jar and place it either on a rack in the stock pot so that it isn't submerged in the water. I fill the pot up to about level with the rack and then cover it and set it on the stove and let it boil/steam for about an hour. Leave the pot and jars to cool overnight then store the jars until I'm ready to inoculate them. Specifically, I just would like to know the order of everything is correct. If someone could confirm that for me or has any other pointers that would be great.

And on one more side note, I know a lot of laboratories use antibiotics to keep things contaminate free when growing cultures. Does this mean that if I really wanted to be paranoid about killing contams I could dilute Neosporin in a syringe and inject it into my jar after I inoculate it? Beacuse I had a feeling that would probably kill the mycelium as well as the bacteria. Just wanted to know what your thoughts were on that too.

And while I'm at it... (sorry for the lengthiness) should I bake the vermiculte and BRF and sterilize the jar with alcohol before I sterilize everything together in a stock pot to achieve a more sterile jar?

Any advice would be great.

--------------------
****************\\\\**
***************/****\*
***************|*o*0|*
****************\*-*/**
*****************^^^^*

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekingboomer
smurfhouse archetect
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rocky Mountain High!!!!
Re: Sterilizing jars [Re: bakerisme]
    #4527082 - 08/12/05 06:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

:mushroom2: #1: that's in order if you're doing BRF/verm cakes.  If you're doing grains, you need to invest in a pressure cooker.

#2: NO!!!  That will kill your mycellium.  The jars will be sterile enough after you boil.

#3:  you can microwave your verm if you really want to, but it's not necessary.  If you bake your BRF, you'll burn it and rob some nutes out of it.  I usually just wash my jars in hot soapy water and let air dry before I sterilize, but you can use a little alcohol to clean up the jars before filling.  If you do, let them completely dry so the alcohol evaporates off before you fill.

I hope this all helps.  Good luck and enjoy your new hobby!!!

-Kingboomer

--------------------
Hole in the sky/
take me to heaven..
window in time/
through it I'll fly...

-Black Sabbath

Edited by kingboomer (08/12/05 06:07 PM)

Offlinerachsrib
To fly you mustjump and forgetto hit theground

Re: Sterilizing jars [Re: kingboomer]
    #4527198 - 08/12/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i baked both verm and brf in the oven at 300 degrees for 20 min and neither burned

--------------------
"My father once said: If your afraid to die, make yourself hard to kill."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation