Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Unplug the TV!
    #4526224 - 08/12/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

As many of you may remember me saying, I have been living without any kind of television other than dvds for the past year.

Every once in a while when I'm at my friends house we will turn on the tube though. Everytime I watch it I am just amazed at the kind of crap that makes it onto tv these days.

Besides the fear-mongering news, and obscenely sexual advertising/programming (which are both to be expected by now), what REALLY amazes me is the level of immaturity of the shows. Paricularly on MTV!

We were watching shows like The Andy Milanokis Show, and The 70's House. While the Milanokis show had it's funny moments, all I really got from it was random, chaotic, childish humor. The 70's House show was just plain idiotic. A bunch of sexy people dancing around a car while washing it and shoving their asses in the camera, until they couldn't dance any more. The last person to quite dancing won... I know there is more to it than that, but I didn't bother paying attention to it for any longer than that one scene.

And the toilet humor! Can we have one comedy show or movie that doesn't rely solely on sex jokes!? South Park, which used to at least have clever twists on pop culture, is now just trying to be as obscene as possible. The hit comedy movies are what? "Wedding Crashers", a movie about men who go to weddings and take advantage of desperate women, have one night stands and then leave them like a peice of used up meat! "The 40 Year Old Virgin", "American Pie", etc

I hate to sound like a soccer mom, but is this what kids are watching?! What else is there for young pubescent teens, who are confused about their sexuality, to watch? Even on the disney channel there are sexual suggestions!

Another thing that I've noticed, and am quite disturbed by, is how many adult shows are taking on a format that resembles kiddy shows. Using puppets, cartoons, and even child actors to play out their sick jokes.

Relying on toilet and sex humor only shows lack of creativity. Is there no creativity left among young writers today? Is there a law now that only "beautiful" (and by beautiful I mean airbrushed) anorexic women are allowed to have their image dispayed on TV or magazines? Am I the only one who is tired of dirty jokes? FART! SHIT! Oops! His dick went limp! HAHAHA!

As advertising becomes subtley and deceptively more INTENSE and extreme, as the attention spans and maturity drops lower and lower, I am proud to exclaim one more time: I DON'T MISS TELEVISION AND AM HAPPIER WITHOUT IT!!

I suggest you all unplug the idiot box, and notice how different the world is without it's influence. Don't let corperations brainwash you into complacency, promiscuity, and materialism! The world is full of wonder, hope, and problems. The television is just a distraction from all of that!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: dr0mni]
    #4526434 - 08/12/05 01:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What you describe is the continuing trend of catering to the lowest denominator, I think. :wink: What you witness is the fact that the lowest denominator will persist to drop even lower when it is consistently catered to. :lol:

Lazy, disengaged minds are easier to profit off of, you know. Vibrate them with simple stimulus and they get all giggly, no abstract thought processes and awareness required! :shocked:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

Loc: upstate, SC
    #4526452 - 08/12/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

what you have described tends to be the reason that i spend so much time on the computer, if i watch tv (wich is only because i cant be on the computer or my brother is on) i only watch comedy central or tech tv because i am disguisted by everything else (comedy central only because they make fun of all the other crap)

i agree, the media is just sickening these days, and besides i dont want the tv re-programming my brain with all their propoganda

--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: SerioOria]
    #4526587 - 08/12/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

lol

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinecuriouskittin
Weilii Princess<3
 User Gallery

Loc: *in the island of magic*
    #4526669 - 08/12/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

TV in general, MTV in particular, makes me feel slightly suicidal. I absolutly hate commercials. I rarely ever watch TV, unless the godfather movie is on. I don't know why, because we have the dvd collection anyway.

I prefer movies and books.

--------------------
WWW.WEILII.COM ^*Psilocybe Weilii Information*^

Curious?

<3
i will tell you in another life, when we are both cats.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: Gomp]
    #4526672 - 08/12/05 02:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

This is exactly why I don't want kids. If you try to hide the tv from them, they will hear about it at school. Then want to watch it at home. And I dunno which is worse, the effect other kids in public school would have on them or the crap on tv. Either way it's impossible to keep both away from them unless you are rich and can afford to home school your kid. Screw reproducing in this day and age, there is already way too damn many of us.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: Sycronica]
    #4526765 - 08/12/05 02:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Last time I turned on the TV, it was to Fox News. This evil rich blonde woman was talking about how "war is hell" and is justified. I was absolutely amazed.

I agree with the logic to stop reproducing, but I notice everyone who usually says that is not a moron. So then what? Leave everything to these people? These American Idol voters, mall mutants, and fat people?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4527598 - 08/12/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

There is some decent educational TV, but most of it is stress inducing, fear mongering garbage that can poison our attitude.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4527654 - 08/12/05 06:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I watch TV because of movies and series.

I mostly watch classic films (pre-90's)

I find no harm in that

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4527686 - 08/12/05 06:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I watch tv because occassionally dune is on at 2 in the morning and I can't miss that.

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: orechron]
    #4527695 - 08/12/05 06:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I watch enterprise (3rd season right now over here), there is a reprhise of 5 weekly episodes on sunday night, so I stay up all night watching 5 in a row. That T'pol is a hottie

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4527754 - 08/12/05 07:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I used to have a TV. I got rid of it because they had these annoying  bits of programing between the commercials. It totally broke my focus on watching commercials. :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: Icelander]
    #4527806 - 08/12/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You just don't know good Bulldada when you see it.

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
    #4527827 - 08/12/05 07:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

4 years without tv here :thumbup: I don't even find any programs interesting anymore. The ones I like (like south park) I download. The rest of my (soon to end) free time is spent in the web, educating myself or just laughing at some web-comic. I don't regret my decision to turn down an offer to have free satellite either :smile:

But remember not everyone can afford the intellectual luxury to not have tv :lol:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #4527836 - 08/12/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Does it really matter what we do between birth and death?
You make it sound like your choice is the right one

--------------------

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

#4528054 - 08/12/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well, if you want to spend this precious lifetime in front of the tv, go ahead. I can't make decisions for you, but I'm just telling you from my personal experiance that it's quite wonderful without that crap.

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Re: Unplug the TV! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4528071 - 08/12/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
What you describe is the continuing trend of catering to the lowest denominator, I think. :wink: What you witness is the fact that the lowest denominator will persist to drop even lower when it is consistently catered to. :lol:

Lazy, disengaged minds are easier to profit off of, you know. Vibrate them with simple stimulus and they get all giggly, no abstract thought processes and awareness required! :shocked:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

good point, this is also why I stopped smoking pot. The novelty of the high wore off a long time ago, and since then i've kept searching for more and more novelty. Catering to my high seeking behavior just made that "lowest common denominator" sink lower and lower. Tripping was something different all together, and I learned a lot, but I saw myself applying the same thrill/novelty seeking behavior to this sacred thing! That's why I'm stopping that too, for now. My real goal should be/is unlocking that mystical treasure-house of meditation-induced altered states, and my own indiginous supply of DMT!

I'll be the first to say that there's nothing wrong with getting high or drunk with some friends for celebration. But When it's a constant quest for intoxication, and you can't go for more than a few days to a week without getting fucked up then it's a problem.

Drugs really do make us complacent and inert in the same way that TV does, and I'm just starting to be able to see that as I grow up...

?If once in this world I win a moment with you, both worlds I'd trample under a dance of triumph. Oh, Shams of Tabriz, in this world I'm so drunk - now only stories of drunkenness and revelry pass my lips.?
-Rumi

Edited by dr0mni (08/12/05 09:32 PM)

Offlinealsey
meet me in thedreamtimewater...

#4529037 - 08/13/05 03:04 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i agree, TV is pile of crap. i own one, mainly for DVDs, and for the odd occation when there is something decent on. i used to love watching david attenborough and similar programs, but programs of that quality don't seem to be shown anymore.

--------------------
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#4529214 - 08/13/05 04:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

unlug the tv = unplug yourself  :tripping:

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4529551 - 08/13/05 07:59 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My real goal should be/is unlocking that mystical treasure-house of meditation-induced altered states, and my own indigenous supply of DMT!

For sure! :thumbup: It can be done. That's what I do. I have  a friend I will share new meta physical type experiences with and he will say, that's what I experience on DMT. I'm getting them when I induce natural altered states and he does when he takes the drug.

The bonus is that it's much healthier. Your liver doesn't have to detox the chemical you took to trigger the release of natural brain chemicals that produce the high or altered state. Your body also doesn't have to deal with the side effects of the inducing drug.

And, medically speaking, when we take drugs, they fill up every receptor they fit into in the body, plugging up other functions while under the effects. When chemical releases are natural produced, the brain targets the specific receptors needed only.

If you take vicoden, every receptor is filled and you whole body goes numb, even if you took it for a tooth ache. When the brain sends pain relief naturally, it just sends it to the nerves sending pain signals.

The other bonus is that you develop a more intimate understanding of the nature of your self. If you use a drug to induce chemical releases, it's a much more objective experience. You can say, the drug fucked with my head, that wasn't ME.

It creates a form of separating yourself from your altered state experiences. When you induce the chemical releases through meditative intentions, there is nothing but YOU involved. The experience becomes a more natural one of your human beingness.

If the brain can do it on its own, it says, it was meant to. All of the tools and equipment are there. There is a purpose and reason for them or evolution would have phased them out.

You have my encouragement to take that new path! :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies