Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemidnightdriffter
Stranger
Mexicana A Questions
    #4519698 - 08/10/05 08:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've been working on making some quart jars up to grow some Mexicana A sclerotia with little luck. I've been using rye grass seed and a rye grass seed mixed with a couple of other grass seeds (feed store ran out of pure rye, hoped it wouldn't make much of a difference). I fill a large bowl with water and seed, mix thouroghly and then strain and rinse. Then I refill with water and let soak no more than 24 hours. Then I simmer for no more than 30 min., strain and rinse thouroghly again and then fill the jars half full and pressure cook an hour at 15 psi. My results have been nothing but sticky and/or too moist seed that is unable to be shaken properly. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana A Questions [Re: midnightdriffter]
    #4519812 - 08/10/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Its tough...work on it by adding verm. Check out my "how I do grain" link in my signature which talks about other seed which is easier to work with, but shows working with the seed in a large strainer mixing it with a spoon, adding dry verm until you have a nice fluffy mixture. Its tough to get right and even harder to explain it...you just learn the feel.

I have had good success with Tampanensis in rye, I hear Mexicana also do well. I hear millet (or WBS) also works for them. I had better stone formation then on grass seed, as have others, give it a shot if you cant get RGS to work.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #4519826 - 08/10/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

vv

--------------------

Edited by Zen Peddler (02/02/07 04:01 AM)

Offlinemidnightdriffter
Stranger
Re: Mexicana A Questions [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #4522660 - 08/11/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I thought about throwing a little vermiculite into the mix, but read somewhere not to do so when growing sclerotia due to the thought that one shouldn't eat vermiculite. Should I just mix in white rice, millet, or cracked corn? Thanks Again.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4523355 - 08/11/05 06:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

verm wont hurt you..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Mexicana A Questions [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4524605 - 08/11/05 11:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Just inoculate some seed and let it go. You'll have plenty of rocks in a few months to trip on. Rye seed is great for sclerotia forming strains.

Edited by hotnutz (08/11/05 11:43 PM)

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
Re: Mexicana A Questions [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4525372 - 08/12/05 02:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

que es sclerotia?

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana A Questions [Re: walkclothed]
    #4525699 - 08/12/05 06:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
Re: Mexicana A Questions [Re: Workman]
    #4526875 - 08/12/05 03:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

garcia

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

Offlinemidnightdriffter
Stranger
    #4605037 - 08/31/05 06:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Before I begin this post, I just wanna say I read everything everyone replied and definitly want to say thanks as usual. Anyhow, I decided to use a little wbs in the mix instead of vermiculite. I made 5 quart jars half full and they all fully colonized in only a week and half simply from a syringe!! The downside is that I only had 2 that didn't contam on me. The third and fifth have a slight green all over it amongst the pretty white, and the forth jar has black all throughout the beautiful whiteness (just thinking about it makes me sad), so I thought I'd post everything I did and maybe someone can give me an idea of what I've done wrong, 'cause I thought I did way more than was needed and I still keep getting contamned grain jars. So here's my process.

Big bowl of wbs filled with water, got rid of all sunflower seeds, strained and rinsed thoroghly. Refilled with water and let soak for almost 24 hours, then strained and rinsed thoroghly again. Then added water and simmered for about 25 min. In another pan simmered rye grass seed for about the same time. When both were done, mixed together at about 65 % rye to 35% wbs and filled my jars half full. Taped one hole and pushed polyfil into the other hole and covered w/foil and pc'd at 15psi for 1 hour. Let cool and and all jars shook very nicely but still had a noticeable moisture content to it so I figured I'd finally gotten a good consistency. Inoculated with only 1cc each and put in the dark at about 78 degrees (woulda liked it to be warmer) and then hence what I wrote before.

So if anyone has any idea why 3 of 5 contamned, please tell me. Am i not pc-ing long enough!? Thanks as always.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds