Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSylowsEukaryote
Stranger by theminute
Loc: In the middle
Casing headache
    #4523311 - 08/11/05 07:57 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

OK, lol, ever get too much info about something and your brain is like, "fck it, i am going to make this all sound like Greek to you"?

I have been reading the different casing methods and info on this website, and now i have a headache and don't know what to do...

there is too much info, too many methods, a lot of DIFFERENT bits of info...

and i have a lot of questions...in fact i have so many questions that i don't know what they are!

is there a method out there for idiots? cuz thats what i feel like right now.
i guess the 50/50 or 60/40 methods are the simplest to understand, but i don't know which would be best for me. I don't have the filter bags to PC it, but i do have the jars (which i read i could use. i just hope thats true.).
and the issue with the lime/calcium carb. is confusing.
and all the methods speak of a 'chamber' .. is this the same chamber set up i would use for just the cakes? wire mesh, gauges, plexi glass, water shield, etc?
i have many more questions (i think) so this might be an ongoing thread.
thanks,
be safe!

--------------------
Ut ager quamvis fertilis sine cultura fructuosus esse non potest, sic sine doctrina animus. (M. Tullius Cicero, Tusculanae Disputationes 2.13)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: Casing headache [Re: SylowsEukaryote]
    #4523342 - 08/11/05 08:04 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

that's exactly how i felt when i spent about a week straight reading about casing! you've gone into info overload! i am a newbie, haven't tried casing yet, but i just wanted you to know you aren't alone in how you feel! i'm sure some of the nice folks round here can help clear some things up for you.
but something i have learned here is to keep it simple, and try not to stress out.
good luck! and don't give up!

--------------------
turn off your mind relax and float downstream

Offlinejohnson657
Stranger

#4523346 - 08/11/05 08:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

you could always do a strait verm casing for your first time

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4523383 - 08/11/05 08:16 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

sit back close your eyes and take a deep breath. yeah it is a hell of alot of info to absorb about casings and then there is all the other info on everything else to read as well. take it a little slower so as you don't overwhelm yourself.
yes you can use the jars to pc the casing material or you can use a microwave safe bowl with a lid and nuke it for a few minutes stir it and nuke it for a few more minutes and again if you feel the need.
well i have only used the 50/50+ tek for the casing layer and i like how it works. i imagine that the 60/40 tek would work just as well. you just need to make the decision as to what you have available and go with that one. just follow the tek you decide to use and you shouldn't go wrong.
the calcium carbonate/lime thingy is a little confusing at first. there are various sources for the lime to use, some long term buffers and short term buffers. a little of each would give you a balance over the life of the casing.
when it comes to the chamber (fruiting chamber), you don't really need the perlite for casings. that is unless you have no other source to keep the humidity up (coolmist, hand misting, etc.). don't forget about the freah air exchanges neither. 1-3 exchanges per hour would be prime to keep the co2 levels down.
read it till you really understand it and then move on to something else, that is what i have done. :bongload:  sometimes it takes a few readings to get it.

good luck to ya
peace

OfflineSylowsEukaryote
Stranger by theminute
Loc: In the middle
Re: Casing headache [Re: backupwards]
    #4528356 - 08/13/05 01:19 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

ok, i have a few questions.
first, i would like to thank the three of you for responding to my questions! I appreciate it!

ok, what is the 'straight verm casing'?? is there a place a can read about it so i have step by step instructions?

and, what are long and short term buffers and why do i need them? i know the calcium carb and stuff are what you are refering to, but which are the longterm ones and which are the short term ones? why aren't they needed when i just take the cakes and put them into the chamber? is it due to the products used for the casing and the pH balance of those?

so far i have spent a lot of cash on this project. so if i dont have to buy anything else for a while that would be excellent. the materials i have are: vermiculite (big grain, not fine grain. they are big chunks), brown rice flour, jars, a big, blue tupperware tub, some styrafoam coolers with plexiglass that fits it (i dont have plexiglass for the blue tub yet), tons of wire mesh, humidity and temp gauges, a myster, sterilization products, and a partridge in a pear tree. so the 'straight verm casing' sounds like a good idea, but i want to make sure it will work well and what i need to do.
do any of the veterans in here like this method? do you have any suggestions for me? i WILL go out and buy more things if i really need to.

by the way, i put two cakes in the fruiting chamber about 2-3 weeks ago. i got one huge shroom from it, then this green stuff started growing. i assume it was mold. but the one shroom was picked before the green stuff started growing. anyway...i ate this shroom last night and it was pretty potent! it was awesome!
when i put the cakes in the chamber i put them in there upside down (meaning i put the side that was on top of the jar on the wire mesh), would it have been better if i placed them in there a different way? like sideways? i dont know why green stuff started growing..but hopefully the cakes that are ready for the chamber now don't have the same prob..its ok that two of them got messed up...but i have about 20 more and i would hate for them to have the same prob.

anyway...thanks you all!
i LOVE this board and i am glad this is here!
be safe

--------------------
Ut ager quamvis fertilis sine cultura fructuosus esse non potest, sic sine doctrina animus. (M. Tullius Cicero, Tusculanae Disputationes 2.13)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4529596 - 08/13/05 10:26 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Do yourself a big favor and start with the PFTek and read up on the dunk and roll tek or double ending tek. Also incubation chamber and fruiting chamber requirements. You will succeed if you follow the teks to the letter. I agree with using straight medium grade verm first time around, here is also something that works with cakes as well as with casings as far as parameters are concerned, Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation