Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebuggao
Stranger
Beginners luck in Astoria
    #449775 - 11/07/01 12:07 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Howdy.  I've been lurking off and on for quite a while.

I took a trip up to Astoria today, my first time, and within an hour of parking I found what I came for :D

This is after 3 years of searching the Portland area with no luck.  I'm convinced they don't grow around here...would love to be proven wrong.

My first find was...like an azure, kinda, but I don't think it is one.  There were 8 growing in tall grass at the base of a pile of woodchips/limbs on the side of a gated road.  On the other side of the pile, though, were three cyan patches.  That's all I had time to find at least :laugh:  Their grass and blackberry homes were damned thick and painful.  I took a couple dozen of the teenagers to middle-aged and left quite a few pins.  How long do they take to mature, anyway?

There might have been more, but I decided to split when a guy came crashing out of the woods just opposite the road from me.  There I was, 40 or so feet away on my knees, arm up to the shoulder in a pile of wet grass and thorns, saying things like "OW!" and "Ooo, nice one!" and he didn't notice me.  Good thing; it would've been awkward.  There was a park service truck parked in the lot by my car when I got back, just on the other side of the woods he came out of.  The woods had A. muscarias, btw, so I took a few of those as well.

So, any ideas what else I found besides the cyans?  The mature caps are broadly umbonate, and the one young cap is shaped exactly like the azures on the cover of Stamets's book, but they're only 1.5-3cm.  The margins are straight, and they're striated up to the nipple.  I'd say the gills are adnexed or sinuate.  The stems are twisted and ropey like the cyans, but dingy brown with lighter at top, 4-8.5 cm long without the rhizos at the bottom, and around 2-4mm thick.

The caps are drying to the same color as the cyans, with blueing at the margins and where I scratched them.  They aren't blueing more than the cyans, which I though azures did.

They're actually about the same size as the cyans, but they are a different mushroom.  Like really small azures.  Maybe I was expecting too much :crazy:

Any ideas?  I need a camera.

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Beginners luck in Astoria [Re: buggao]
    #451696 - 11/08/01 01:04 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Cool find. Azures can be quite small depending on the growing conditions. I have them growing around dime to nickle sized caps in one of my old patches. The largest I have seen in a newly made patch is nearly 4 inches when very mature. Don't expect that much from the bluing. Its about the same as cyanescens, distinct but not that dark. The blackening shown in Stamets' book (the one that looks like they are dipped in black ink) is not from direct bruising but from a bacterial pitting. Its something that just happens sometimes with azures especially during warm weather. The Stamets' pictures is a bit misleading in that regard. I am sure that the inky azures in the picture were found in that condition before they were picked. No amount of abuse will make them that black with out some decay.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinebuggao
Stranger
Re: Beginners luck in Astoria [Re: Workman]
    #452186 - 11/08/01 08:21 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks, Workman. That's all helpful info. I was wondering if it was just a sick strain or something, because the prints came out pretty light.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Beginners luck in Astoria [Re: buggao]
    #452737 - 11/09/01 10:52 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Ahahahah! I finally found my first Psilocybe cyanescens in the "wild". Downtown Coos Bay, Oregon. I have been looking for these for 3 years with no luck. I was beginning to think they didn't grow here (sound familiar?) I found them yesterday in a nice patch of about 20 mushrooms in a grassy area. At least I knew what I was looking at since I have grown them in my yard for a few years. But I always wanted a locally adapted strain. Off to the cloning lab, Muhahahaha!

Don't give up, I have heard many reports of Psilocybe cyanescens growing in Portland. You just need to get lucky or have someone show you a patch. Astoria just seems to be easier to find mushrooms. I found them within 30 minutes of driving into Astoria (after I read Stamets' book and November rolled around)

So far I have personally found in Oregon.

Psilocybe azurescens
P. semilanceata
P. subfimetaria (or something active, 1 specimen that cultures nicely)
P. pelliculosa
P. inquilina (inactive)

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: Beginners luck in Astoria [Re: Workman]
    #452814 - 11/09/01 11:54 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, Coos bay has ridiculous amounts of woodchips everywhere because of that woodchip factory...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom