Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

Poo-poo error, poo-poo correction
    #4521468 - 08/11/05 09:20 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah my cat spawned a couple of trays of pure H-poo last friday. But he's new at this, and what he did was prepare them like they were straight grain casings, with a layer of poo, then grain, then poo on top. He didn't mix them. :doh:

Well today he noticed mycelium poking through the surface in several places, and it dawned on him that he didn't mix in the spawn. :eek:

So, he washed his paws in alcohol, and sanitized a spoon in alcohol, and went at it mixing up the whole thing.  :tongue:

The under layer was a solid cake-like mass, and had to be chopped at. Really the only uncolonized area was located in  the top 1/2 inch!! :tongue2:

He surmised that mixing it now would be like shaking up a colonizing jar, and since the material was like 98% colonized, the minute ammounts of uncolonized material would be mixed throughout and would complelely colonize in a matter of a day or two tops. :crazy2:

So then he realized that this would be around the same ammount of time to incubate a casing layer. So he is going to apply the casing layer today, and then put it back in the incubator to colonize the casing layer, as well as the miniscule ammounts of remaining uncolonized material mixed in underneath. :thumbup:

He thinks this should go off without a hitch, what do you think of this? :cool:

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

Edited by Smallworlds (08/11/05 09:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Poo-poo error, poo-poo correction [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4521498 - 08/11/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think he should have left it alone once he did everything the first time. pokeing at it usually leads to contamination. i did something very similar to this except i used a quart of grain and the rest was poo. it went tray, thin layer of poo, whole quart of grains, then filled to the top with more poo to protect the mycellium. should work out good except for the pokeing around deal, but they used sterile conditions such as the alcohol. good luck to yo cat.

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: Poo-poo error, poo-poo correction [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4521504 - 08/11/05 10:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, plus I hear poo is very resistant to contams anyway.

I'm betting 20 bucks and a pack of Bubble Yum that the mycelium will run through the itty bitsy pieces of uncolonized poo long before a contam even thinks about growing in it.

--------------------

Trip Report

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Poo-poo error, poo-poo correction [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4521511 - 08/11/05 10:13 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

maybe small, if you are lucky. the poo can get contams just like everything else. sure it is less likely to contam but it can and will.
being that close to 100% colonization i would have left it be as well, if anything you prolonged your times. it will take the myc a little time to recover from you chopping at it to mix it up.
good luck
peace

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: Poo-poo error, poo-poo correction [Re: backupwards]
    #4521521 - 08/11/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

O.K. thanks. I'll let you all know what happens.

--------------------

Trip Report

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag